Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TradeName
    replied
    I've spent some time with Fenian Fire at the library.

Here's a story from 1896. Monro was gone by then.

Daily Times (Portsmouth, Ohio), September 15, 1896, Page 6

In America

The Conspiracy Against the English Government was Hatched

Click image for larger version

Name:	jtr-ggDailyNewsOhio18960615P6.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	663190

Leave a comment:

• lynn cates
    replied
    silly business

Hello Trade. Thanks for posting this.

I presume you have read Campbell and know all the ins and outs of this silly business?

Cheers.
    LC

Leave a comment:

• TradeName
    replied
    Are the first two stories examples of the "privileges" Bulling of the Central News got from James Monro (as per the Littlechild letter)?

New York Times, June 16, 1887, link

Name:	jtr-NYT18870616.jpg
Size:	263.9 KB
ID:	663186

Omaha Daily Bee, May 20, 1888, Page 1

Name:	jtr-locOmahaDailyBee18880520.jpg
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	663187

Rossa's absurd complaint:

New York Times, June 3, 1887, link

CITY AND SUBURBAN NEWS

Name:	jtr-NYT18870603.jpg
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	663188

Leave a comment:

• lynn cates
    replied
    views

Hello Trade. Seems mildly labour/liberal.

I notice his "Irish" views differ widely from Hurlbert's.

Cheers.
    LC

Leave a comment:

• TradeName
    replied
    A brief history of a group that Saunders was involved with:

The Labour Annual for 1895: The Reformers' Yearbook (Manchester: Labour Press Society, 1895), Volume 1, Pages 125-127

English Land Restoration League

by Fredk Verinder

--

Perhaps inconsistently Saunders was a director of a mining company:

The Statist: A Journal of Practical Finance and Trade, Volume 19, April 30, 1887, Page 484

Mexican Santa Barbara Mining

--

A political journal with articles by Saunders:

The Democrat, Vol IV (1886-1887), Page 1

--

Bio of a Saunders associate:

The Labour Annual for 1896 (Manchester: Labour Press Society, 1895), Volume 2, Page 238

Some Interesting Biographies

Woolacott, J. E., b. 1861. First attracted to social questions by Progress and Poverty. One of oldest members of E.L.R.L.[English Land Restoration League ], Fabian, and member I.L.P. Journalist, and ed. for some time the Democrat, started by late Wm. Saunders, M.P. Represented the "Central News" in lobby of House of Commons; also in Ireland, under coercion regime. Closely acquainted with Parnell and other Irish leaders. Witness before Parnell Commission. Visited Egypt as special correspondent. Has been assistant ed. of Weekly Dispatch. Contributes largely to journals and magazines. I.L.P. candidate for St. Rollox at General Election. Holds that the Labour movement is a religious movement in the highest sense of the word.—14, England's Lane, S. Hampstead, N.W.

Leave a comment:

• lynn cates
    replied
    news making

Hello Mr. Evans. Thanks for posting this. Guess I'd better check his views on "news making." I'll probably find it a bit different from the later "powers" there.

Cheers.
    LC

Leave a comment:

• Stewart P Evans
    replied
    William Saunders

William Saunders, M.P., 1823-1895, founder of the Central News Agency and first chairman.

Name:	William Saunders.jpg
Size:	226.6 KB
ID:	663180

Leave a comment:

• lynn cates
    replied
    sales

Hello Trade. Thanks for that. Seems like a new selling point.

Cheers.
    LC

Leave a comment:

• TradeName
    replied
    LC, it's possible that the Central News had only recently "expanded" into supplying foreign news.

Hazell's Annual Cyclopaedia 1886, Page 326

Mr. Saunders next started the Central News Agency, since converted into a limited company, which, next to the Press Association, is the most important of these agencies. Its system of management and working is precisely similar to that of the elder Association; but within the last few years the Central News has originated a foreign supply—which, however, may be said to be only in course of development as yet.

--end

I notice that the "Detective's Diary" bit also appeared on page 2 of the Star for September 19, 1888. Was R. D'Onston Stephenson the gentleman who purchased a copy of Rider Haggard's Maiwa's Revenge.

Leave a comment:

• lynn cates
    replied
    changes

Hello Mr. Evans. Thank you for this. Definitely a large change of personnel.

Wonder it that entails a change in perspective as well?

Cheers.
    LC

Leave a comment:

• Stewart P Evans
    replied
    Frank Colebrook

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
    Hello Trade. Was there, perchance, a regime change at CNA in 1883?
    LC
    Frank Colebrook, F.A.I., joined the night editing staff of the Central News Agency in 1883. John Gennings (Moore's daytime editing adjutant) also joined the staff in 1883, coming from Reuters.

John Moore had been with the business since the beginning but 1884 saw the start of his regime in earnest. Francis Duff retired at the beginning of 1884 and Moore, who was already Editor, succeeded him as both Manager and Secretary of the company. It was in 1883 that Saunders took the new offices at 5 New Bridge Street where they moved in 1884.

Colebrook recalled that the 'Chief Editor, John Moore, was also great on opportunities. He was not unmindful of small chances or what I may call "coppertunities" - but he revelled in the golden ones. And he would say to us, "Do a big thing big." Moore was very lame, but, by heaven, he was a go-er.'

Leave a comment:

• lynn cates
    replied
    regime change

Hello Trade. Was there, perchance, a regime change at CNA in 1883?

Cheers.
    LC

Leave a comment:

• Simon Wood
    replied
    Hi TradeName,

Thanks.

And there you have the nonsense of the Whitechapel murders investigation in a nutshell.

Regards,

Simon

Leave a comment:

• TradeName
    replied
    I haven't seen anything about the Central News expanding telegrams earlier than the 1883 Judy case.

Changing the subject a bit, I wonder (not too seriously) if the author of the "Dear Boss" letter caught this bit:

Punch, September 22, 1888, Page 135

A DETECTIVE'S DIARY A LA MODE.

Monday.—Papers full of the latest tragedy. One of them suggested that the assassin was a man who wore a blue coat. Arrested three blue-coat wearers on suspicion.

Tuesday.—The blue coats proved innocent. Released. Evening journal threw out a hint that deed might have been perpetrated by a soldier. Found a small drummer-boy drunk and incapable. Conveyed him to the Station-house.

Wednesday.—Drummer-boy released. Letter of anonymous correspondent to daily journal declaring that the outrage could only have been committed by a sailor. Decoyed petty officer of Penny Steamboat on shore, and suddenly arrested him.

Thursday.—Petty officer allowed to go. Hint thrown out in the Correspondence columns that the crime might be traceable to a lunatic. Noticed an old gentleman purchasing a copy of Maiwa's Revenge. Seized him.

Friday.—Lunatic dispatched to an asylum. Anonymous letter received, denouncing local clergyman as the criminal. Took the reverend gentleman into custody.

Saturday.—Eminent ecclesiastic set at liberty with an apology. Ascertain in a periodical that it is thought just possible that the Police may have committed the crime themselves. At the call of duty, finished the week by arresting myself!
    Last edited by TradeName; 11-24-2011, 04:03 AM.

Leave a comment:

• lynn cates
    replied
    corroboration

Hello Simon. Thanks for the corroboration. They indeed have a long history of doctoring the news.

Wonder whether they have an old archive lying about somewhere?

Cheers.
    LC

Leave a comment:

Working...
X