X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tji
    replied
    Hi Debs

=Debra A;360112]She didn't like my little joke to Rob about me scaring her away by being nice , is all
    Obviously she's very tired and emotional after spending all night and most of the day typing all her hysterical nonsense. She does it in several diferent places too, here, forums, you tube comments. The grandchildren she professes to have must be so proud.
    Ah right......well there you go, how dare you make a joke

Thanks Tracy, xxx
    Oh congrats and bloody well done too, you! Wil pm you later.
    Thank you -it's been a long haul but fingers crossed finally getting somewhere xx

Leave a comment:

• Abby Normal
    replied
    Originally posted by tji View Post
    Thank you xxx

Thing is, (and I know you will be embarrassed by all this but it has to be said) for EmaEm to say these things shows she is either jealous of you and your knowledge and research or she has never taken the time to get to know you because no-one who does know you would think these things otherwise.
    Yup!!!

Leave a comment:

• tji
    replied
    Hi Pc

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
    Aha, that's the other word where we Americans use a "z" instead of a "s" (I remembered recognise/recognize, but that was all)! Thank you!
    You're welcome lol. If we really want to cause more hysteria there is also the colour/color conundrum

Leave a comment:

• Brenda
    replied

I was convinced that EmaEm was a guy because it takes pretty big balls to come onto a forum and start insulting major respected Ripper authors and researchers.

Leave a comment:

• Debra A
    replied
    Thank you xxx

Thing is, (and I know you will be embarrassed by all this but it has to be said) for EmaEm to say these things shows she is either jealous of you and your knowledge and research or she has never taken the time to get to know you because no-one who does know you would think these things otherwise.
    She didn't like my little joke to Rob about me scaring her away by being nice , is all
    Obviously she's very tired and emotional after spending all night and most of the day typing all her hysterical nonsense. She does it in several diferent places too, here, forums, you tube comments. The grandchildren she professes to have must be so proud.

Thanks Tracy, xxx
    Oh congrats and bloody well done too, you! Wil pm you later.

Leave a comment:

• Pcdunn
    replied
    Aha!

I daren't ask the opinion of analyse/analyze
    Aha, that's the other word where we Americans use a "z" instead of a "s" (I remembered recognise/recognize, but that was all)! Thank you!
    Last edited by Pcdunn; 11-13-2015, 08:03 AM. Reason: dumb error needed fixing.

Leave a comment:

• curious4
    replied
    Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
    This is not very scientific, I know, but a simple search for Aritzans/Artisans Dwellings in press reports for 1888 through FindMyPast gives the following results:

Z: 110 (19%)
    S: 472 (81%)

So S does seem to have been preferred at the time. Was that anything to do with the legislation? I doubt it. If we look at 1875, the situation is:

Z: 432 (15%)
    S: 2,435 (85%)

The 1875 Act was spelt with a Z as was the 1868 Act. (The percentages in 1868 are very similar to those in 75 and 88.)

So it would appear the Acts of Parliament had very little impact on the way the word was spelt in the wider community.

And if Neil/Rob have chosen to use a spelling that was current, albeit less common, in the period, then what is all the fuss about???
    Hello Mr B

No offence taken. Being a dedicated obsessive/compulsive I do tend to go for what I perceive to be correct, not popular. All water under the bridge now and definitely won't get us any nearer to solving the mystery!

In the words of Littlechild: "now pardon me - it is finished."

All good wishes
    C4

Leave a comment:

• tji
    replied
    Originally posted by Debra A View Post
    There's one big thing she should be jealous of Tracy, the wonderful, genuine friends like you that I have. Xxx
    Thank you xxx

Leave a comment:

• MrBarnett
    replied
    This is not very scientific, I know, but a simple search for Aritzans/Artisans Dwellings in press reports for 1888 through FindMyPast gives the following results:

Z: 110 (19%)
    S: 472 (81%)

So S does seem to have been preferred at the time. Was that anything to do with the legislation? I doubt it. If we look at 1875, the situation is:

Z: 432 (15%)
    S: 2,435 (85%)

The 1875 Act was spelt with a Z as was the 1868 Act. (The percentages in 1868 are very similar to those in 75 and 88.)

So it would appear the Acts of Parliament had very little impact on the way the word was spelt in the wider community.

And if Neil/Rob have chosen to use a spelling that was current, albeit less common, in the period, then what is all the fuss about???

Leave a comment:

• MrBarnett
    replied
    Originally posted by curious4 View Post
    Hello Mr B

Wasn't me she accused. And I did say from someone who could spell - something hard to prove in letters to the editor.

Best wishes
    C4
    Hi C4,

I responded to you because you asked the question, no slight was intended. S was used in the headline so presumably it was written by someone on the Spectator.

MrB

Leave a comment:

• curious4
    replied
    Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
    From The Spectator, Sept. 1878:

[ATTACH]17157[/ATTACH]
    Hello Mr B

Wasn't me she accused. And I did say from someone who could spell - something hard to prove in letters to the editor.

Best wishes
    C4

Leave a comment:

• Debra A
    replied
    Jealous much? I am sure Debs can very much return the favour and feel truly blessed her life isn't your either!
    I for one wish I had the knowledge and experience that Deb's is willing to share with the rest of us and the fact that you are trying to belittle this generosity says more about you than it does her.

As for the 'sad' remark who is the one insulting and freaking out over a 'z'
    I mean I don't' think Neil is going to hell just cos he spelt it incorrectly......might be going for other things but definitely not that

Tj
    There's one big thing she should be jealous of Tracy, the wonderful, genuine friends like you that I have. Xxx

Leave a comment:

• tji
    replied
    Originally posted by jmenges View Post
    Get it all out of your system, the clock is ticking.

JM
    Lol, I think the cuckoo has definitely timed out on this one!!

Umm..... There was legislation regulating the use of z in
    the word artizan??

C4/Prissy
    I daren't ask the opinion of analyse/analyze

Leave a comment:

• tji
    replied
    You, and Debra (who has stupidly produced a letter, when I am referring to major legislation) have both missed the point about the 1887 legislation. Further anomalies floating about, will of course go on, but they are not in the majority. But no one missed the point more spectacularly than Debra but maybe she is not aware of just how many areas of life the new spelling started to appear in by the time we get to 1888. Of course, you would have to have a broader education than spend your life hooked up to your computer by 7am, spending your life talking about Jack the Ripper! Just sad. Even more sad to socially degenerate to having a tantrum like a child when an INSTANT reply is not forthcoming. From a woman in her forties?

Life passed you by Debra? How are those virtual sad contacts working out for you? Just blessed, truly blessed that my life is not yours!

Jealous much? I am sure Debs can very much return the favour and feel truly blessed her life isn't your either!
    I for one wish I had the knowledge and experience that Deb's is willing to share with the rest of us and the fact that you are trying to belittle this generosity says more about you than it does her.

As for the 'sad' remark who is the one insulting and freaking out over a 'z'
    I mean I don't' think Neil is going to hell just cos he spelt it incorrectly......might be going for other things but definitely not that

Tj

Leave a comment:

• MrBarnett
    replied
    Hello Mr B

Do you have an example of a spelling with s from the nineteenth century? It would be useful. By someone you know can spell of course. And yes, you should know that on these Boards we can argue for months over the smallest things :-)! And it does reflect on other claims the poster may make if they post inaccurately.

Best wishes
    C4

P.S. Also, if you accuse someone of being in the wrong(and rather rudely at that) you should be quite sure that you are right!
    From The Spectator, Sept. 1878:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	666340

Leave a comment:

Working...
X