Artizan Dwellings writing photograph

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by EmaEm View Post
    That was sent by the system before I had finished with it..
    I see.

I shall use that excuse also. Its the systems fault.

However, unlike you, I won't get unnecessarily personal....yet.

Monty
    Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

• Originally posted by curious4 View Post
      In a government document from 1885 artizan is spelled (not spelt) with a z. What more proof that you are wrong do you need?

C4/aka Prissy
      The Home Office were still using the spelling Artizan in 1890 as can be seen in their Out Letter Book.

HO 43/166 01 January 1890-31 December 1890

Comment

In a government document from 1885 artizan is spelled (not spelt) with a z. What more proof that you are wrong do you need?

C4/aka Prissy
        You've just made a classic mistake.

The British use spelt, (which is grammatically correct). The Americans use spelled, because they consider spelt to be a food. This means that you're either an American who doesn't know this (some do, some don't) or you are British and have made a grammatical mistake.

Comment

• Originally posted by Debra A View Post
          The Home Office were still using the spelling Artizan in 1890 as can be seen in their Out Letter Book.

HO 43/166 01 January 1890-31 December 1890
          Obviously, because you accused me of making an assumption that you were British. I cannot be blamed for making an asumption. I did not, I read it and took it as fact. It also means that either you did not know it was on the internet, or you did, you are British, but did not know that I had read it. Alternatively, of course, you are not British, and the posted information is wrong.

Comment

It is on the internet that you are British. If that is wrong, why on earth are you blaming me?
            Obviously, because you accused me of making an assumption that you were British. I cannot be blamed for making an asumption. I did not, I read it and took it as fact. It also means that either you did not know it was on the internet, or you did, you are British, but did not know that I had read it. Alternatively, of course, you are not British, and the posted information is wrong.

Comment

Obviously, because you accused me of making an assumption that you were British. I cannot be blamed for making an asumption [sic]. I did not, I read it and took it as fact. It also means that either you did not know it was on the internet, or you did, you are British, but did not know that I had read it. Alternatively, of course, you are not British, and the posted information is wrong.
              So rather that ask the primary source, you referred to the internet, and took that as factual? Yet oddly, when inquiring about my education, you did ask the primary source. Inconsistency shall find you out in this game.

Monty

PS Your failure to quote correctly is confusing. Such tardiness reflects on your standards, and is really unacceptable.
              Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

C4/aka Prissy
                You still don't get it. The legislation of 1887 had a major social and cultural influence, and the spelling of artisan by 1888 (which is the pertinent date and the point of this thread, and you seem to have lost sight of that) was in the majority of references, particularly in literature, was made with an s. There were still spellings of artisan with a z but not as many as with an s. There are literally hundreds of references to artisan with an s for the time period of the last quarter of the 19th Century on the web. Anomalies still remained.

Comment

• Originally posted by Monty View Post
                  So rather that ask the primary source, you referred to the internet, and took that as factual? Yet oddly, when inquiring about my education, you did ask the primary source. Inconsistency shall find you out in this game.

Monty

PS Your failure to quote correctly is confusing. Such tardiness reflects on your standards, and is really unacceptable.
                  Ah, but of course you are playing games. If I had asked you, you might have not have told me, or not told the truth. So the question is, is the information on the web factually correct or not.

In addition, when I stated that a post went through without me finishing it, it would be normal to accept that, but you stated that it was an excuse. That is just silly and objectionable.

Comment

C4/aka Prissy
                    You have just made a classic error.

The grammatically correct term for the British is spelt. The Americans use spelled as they consider spelt a food stuff. So you are either American and don't know the differences (some do, some don't), or you are British and have dropped a clanger.

You seem to have difficulty keeping up. As has been posted more than once the document I am talking about is from 1887 and was a major piece of legislation.
                    Last edited by EmaEm; 11-13-2015, 05:37 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Monty View Post
                      Everyone who has one always tells you? Without exception? Again, assumption. You shall go far in this field.

As there is no lie, I am indeed unfazed. Like I said, I'm more amused

You funny.

Monty
                      Yes, always tells me. I did not notice you standing beside me when this has happened, yet you know better. You get more ludicrous, childish and boring by each post and I will not be replying to any more of them as I have better things to do with my time.You have, of course, made a Royal show of yourself and obviously have time on your hands to play childish games. I do not. Now, if you had shown an ounce of wit, that might have been different.
                      Last edited by EmaEm; 11-13-2015, 06:08 AM.

Comment

• I think the usage was interchangeable back in the day. The Goad maps certainly used the Z.

But does it really matter?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	666339

Comment

• Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
                          Indeed! That was 20mins of trawling through this to see if there was any other interesting information that I wont get back.

Comment

• You, and Debra (who has stupidly produced a letter, when I am referring to major legislation) have both missed the point about the 1887 legislation. Further anomalies floating about, will of course go on, but they are not in the majority. But no one missed the point more spectacularly than Debra but maybe she is not aware of just how many areas of life the new spelling started to appear in by the time we get to 1888. Of course, you would have to have a broader education than spend your life hooked up to your computer by 7am, spending your life talking about Jack the Ripper! Just sad. Even more sad to socially degenerate to having a tantrum like a child when an INSTANT reply is not forthcoming. From a woman in her forties?

Life passed you by Debra? How are those virtual sad contacts working out for you? Just blessed, truly blessed that my life is not yours!

Comment

• I learned that people who like Monty are called 'rednecks'.

JM

Comment

• Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
                                I think the usage was interchangeable back in the day. The Goad maps certainly used the Z.

[ATTACH]17156[/ATTACH]
                                Hello Mr B

Do you have an example of a spelling with s from the nineteenth century? It would be useful. By someone you know can spell of course. And yes, you should know that on these Boards we can argue for months over the smallest things :-)! And it does reflect on other claims the poster may make if they post inaccurately.

Best wishes
                                C4

P.S. Also, if you accuse someone of being in the wrong(and rather rudely at that) you should be quite sure that you are right!
                                Last edited by curious4; 11-13-2015, 06:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X