• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stewart P Evans
    replied
    Suspect Suspect

Originally posted by The Prophet View Post
    Barnardo has been officially noted in 1979 by a respected author and one-time chairman of Barnardo’s – Dame Gillian Wagner, as being listed among the suspects in the files at Scotland Yard which was available to the public at the time, before the files were noted as stolen, or misplaced in 1983. So yeah, it is a fact!
    Whatever is the above supposed to mean? No, Barnardo's name was not 'listed among the suspects in the files at Scotland Yard'. Wherever does this come from? In her 1979 book, pp. 210-211, Wagner states - "...the list of suspects became increasingly long and it is hardly surprising that Barnardo's name should have been included among them."

To this statement she adds a footnote reference (13) and when you turn to her reference notes on page 325, hoping for a solid source for the information, all there is to read is - "13 Private information." which simply is not good enough. In fact, we know from researchers who went through the files in the early 1970s that Barnardo's name was not noted in the files.

All of which adds up to the fact that it is a gross misrepresentation of the actual facts to claim that Barnardo was any sort of official suspect.

Leave a comment:

• George Hutchinson
    replied
    Hi, AJ.

Well, you can't say you weren't warned! This is the very tip of the iceburg. I echo Limehouse's comments. I think you'll find most people here will do. Most of us have an interest in the LVP as well as JTR and attacking Barnardo with such accusations has ALWAYS riled us.

Vanessa Hayes was, I understand, taken extremely ill in 2007. She was due to speak at the Whitechapel Society 1888 and cancelled at fairly short notice. No one has heard anything of her since.

PHILIP

Leave a comment:

• Limehouse
    replied
    The Prophet, hello,

Of all the suspects paraded as the 'true ripper' this is the one I find most distasteful.

Here is a man who used his own money (and other people's admittedly) and influence to do something positive for the abandoned children of the east end. He worked tirelessly to ensure cold, hungry, homeless children had somewhere to lay their heads. Inevitabley, when someone works with children, a murky motive is always suspected and articulated and of course, mud sticks.

So, let's here some of this 'proof' then?

Regards

Limehouse

Leave a comment:

• The Prophet
    replied
    Hello all,

Sorry I will get round to managing quotes etc, but in answer to above:

*Dr Barnardo was a famous children's author, I have dozens of his books and nearly 40 years worth of his long time weekly children's magazine, sadly when he died so did his magazine eventually, and his organisation have all but replaced the persona of the man! The circulation at its height was over 100,000 per month!

*Famous novelists wrote special stories exclusively for Barnardo (including Louisa May Alcott), he even mixed with friends of Carroll, and R.L Stevenson was one of Barnardo’s favourite author’s, in fact he was halfway through reading a sequel to one of his books when he died in 1905! Stevenson in fact was donating money regularly to Barnardo (in 1888) until he heard years later about Barnardo kidnapping children! Ironic given the fact that Barnardo despised the theatre , barring his own family from attending such devilish performances…Jekyll & Hyde must have been interesting when it hit the theatres in London during the crimes. Especially with all the knowledge we now know about how popular TV, video games and movies can have on children’s minds (or any sick/vulnerable individual), now imagine Barnardo running around loose in the East End…yikes!

*Barnardo also took pictures of naked children, most are obviously too sensitive to be published in books today (or then), but the main reason Barnardo sanctioned this was to catalogue children with physical deformities, however the positions they were posed in could suggest an underlying sexual deviation.

*Barnardo has been officially noted in 1979 by a respected author and one-time chairman of Barnardo’s – Dame Gillian Wagner, as being listed among the suspects in the files at Scotland Yard which was available to the public at the time, before the files were noted as stolen, or misplaced in 1983. So yeah, it is a fact!

Regards,
    AJ.

Leave a comment:

• Christine
    replied
    He's still in the suspect guide, along with Jill the Sailor and 200 other suspects.

He would go under "Other Suspects," no? I don't know why he isn't on the suspects page. He's way more plausible than Lewis Carroll, and he wasn't in France. On the other hand, he's not a famous children's author and sometime photographer of naked little girls, he hasn't got a book about him written by a bestselling crime novelist, and he didn't create a bunch of lovely but creepy paintings whose value has been driven up by said crime novelist.

Start a thread under Other Suspects.

Leave a comment:

• Ben
    replied
    concerning all other suspects one day the world will sadly realize how far they have been duped…
    Yeah, by people trying to advance Dr. frickin' Bernado as the killer!

FACT: Dr Barnardo is an original suspect! – already that knocks out over a hundred other theories based on speculation AND where is the proof they were on the list?
    That's not a fact at all. How are you defining an "original suspect"? And what "list" are you talking about?
    Last edited by Ben; 06-24-2008, 05:00 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Sasha
    replied
    The book "Revelations of the True Ripper" by Vanessa Hayes is on the net (which you can find easily enough if you google it). Interesting stuff. She also discusses other key suspects. Worth a read.

Leave a comment:

• The Prophet
    started a topic Dr Barnardo is the killer...?

Dr Barnardo is the killer...?

Sorry, I had to start a new thread here because Dr Barnardo has been removed from the suspects page Why? There are currently 10 suspects listed there that have no recent discussions – shouldn’t they also be removed?

Obviously I consider Dr B to be the killer, but with good solid reasons…concerning all other suspects one day the world will sadly realize how far they have been duped…

The past century has of course turned up amazing theories of who the killer was, and of course with no stone-left-unturned, it has often involved persons of great standing.

Dr Barnardo was no exception, and has been noted as a suspect first publicly in 1979, and then every year since 1987. More recently in 2006 he was featured in book-length treatment by Vanessa Hayes – and I might add where has she gone?

FACT: Dr Barnardo is an original suspect! – already that knocks out over a hundred other theories based on speculation AND where is the proof they were on the list?

And yes, just because he was on the list (along with hundreds, if not thousands others), does not mean he was the killer – but the story doesn’t end there...
Working...
X