Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Johnr View Post
    Greetings All,

I feel some of the posters on this thread have been overharsh with some of the people wanting to examine Dr Barnardo as a Ripper suspect.
    He is not a sacred cow. Please, put him back on the Suspect List.
    I know some people have sought to accuse Barnardo whilst not providing chapter and verse on these threads.
    I think the emotive shouting down of Barnardo-as-Ripper posters is counter-productive.

JOHN RUFFELS.
    Not at all. The main reason it is difficult to debate this suspect is the fact that he person who put him forward this time, Prophet, after receiving a number of questions about his theory vanished never to be seen again.

I think you hit the nail on the head when you say that some people accuse Barnardo without providing any substantive reason for their suspicions. If they fail to do so, again it is a bit difficult to debate with them.

I fail to detect any shouting down of anyone. But I think people have a right to expect others who wish to put forward a suspect to give us their reasons.

Comment

• I wonder if (or maybe this is just wishful thinking) that AJ Prophet's entire claims about Barnardo being the Ripper and coming here to talk about it might have just been an elaborate ruse to try to get a bunch of people interested in the Ripper willing to pay some insanely high amount of money for the copy of the book written by Barnardo he had up on eBay, and then when he didn't get what he wanted he just stopped bothering.

Lots of bizarre suspect theories are based on the perceived money making potential and include knowingly false claims and subterfuge (see Uncle Jack, etc.). AJ might have just had a more blitzkrieg style attack in mind instead of a longer plan.

Hey, the idea that he was a mere eBay scammer instead of serious about this nonsense helps me sleep a little better at night. Thieves are largely predictable, idiots not so much.

Dan Norder
      Ripper Notes: The International Journal for Ripper Studies
      Web site: www.RipperNotes.com - Email: dannorder@gmail.com

Comment

• Dear All

While I am glad that Bob and I have settled out differences, I feel my wife might be a tad upset about the marriage proposal. Why is life so complicated?

Best wishes
        alex chisholm
        But for me, in my impenetrable mantle, the safety was complete. Think of it – I did not even exist!
        (HJFSotC – SCoDJaMH – RLS, 1886)

https://www.amazon.com/author/alexchisholm
        http://www.amazon.co.uk/-/e/B006JFY5TC

Comment

• Originally posted by alex View Post
          Dear All

While I am glad that Bob and I have settled out differences, I feel my wife might be a tad upset about the marriage proposal. Why is life so complicated?

Best wishes
          alex chisholm
          Bob asked you first
          Regards Mike

Comment

• Hi Mike

While I don’t want to upset Bob, I want to upset my wife even less. What’s a man to do?

Best wishes
            alex
            But for me, in my impenetrable mantle, the safety was complete. Think of it – I did not even exist!
            (HJFSotC – SCoDJaMH – RLS, 1886)

https://www.amazon.com/author/alexchisholm
            http://www.amazon.co.uk/-/e/B006JFY5TC

Comment

• I've been gone for awhile.

I spent over a year researching Carroll for a non-Ripper project. Not that I ever took him seriously as a suspect before, but the fact that he's been ignored by posters here heartens me.

So why does Barnardo deserve more scrutiny?

As someone (forgive me) points out, he was a London doctor with an evangelical interest in children/prostitutes, and he spoke in the press about the murders.

I don't favour any suspect, and I give due respect to my learned friend Alex Chisholm. But how is Barnardo anything but a vessel in which to heap scorn on Victorian charity? He wasn't a saint, and his methods wouldn't hold water today. Just like Victorian schoolmasters.

Note the adjectives used here against Barnardo. They're everything to do with personal disgust -- no compelling circumstance, let alone evidence.

And motive? We're left with essentially the same justification for Barnett; the crazed reformer who kills for his cause.

I'm not rock-solid on pathology, but I believe this generally doesn't give birth to serial killers.

Relativism is important.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan Norder View Post
                I wonder if (or maybe this is just wishful thinking) that AJ Prophet's entire claims about Barnardo being the Ripper and coming here to talk about it might have just been an elaborate ruse to try to get a bunch of people interested in the Ripper willing to pay some insanely high amount of money for the copy of the book written by Barnardo he had up on eBay, and then when he didn't get what he wanted he just stopped bothering.

Lots of bizarre suspect theories are based on the perceived money making potential and include knowingly false claims and subterfuge (see Uncle Jack, etc.). AJ might have just had a more blitzkrieg style attack in mind instead of a longer plan.

Hey, the idea that he was a mere eBay scammer instead of serious about this nonsense helps me sleep a little better at night. Thieves are largely predictable, idiots not so much.

His user name seems to suit him - but perhaps it should be spelt Profit?

Comment

• Exactly!!!!!!! not a lot of it being made by our 'friend' though at the mo is there!!!
                  'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

Working...
                  X