Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whistling on Berner Street

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • >> Koster <<

    A coster found the body, Chinese Whispers move into the neighbourhood and off we go.
    dustymiller
    aka drstrange

    Comment


    • Originally posted by drstrange169 View Post
      >> Koster <<

      A coster found the body, Chinese Whispers move into the neighbourhood and off we go.
      Surely this is the most reasonable explanation.
      Regards

      Herlock Sholmes

      Comment


      • Originally posted by drstrange169 View Post
        >> Koster <<

        A coster found the body, Chinese Whispers move into the neighbourhood and off we go.
        Apparently Louis also went by the name, Joseph.

        You lot don't like any evidence that strays from the standard story, do you?
        Andrew's the man, that is not blamed for nothing

        Comment


        • Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-01-27 at 10.41.55 am.png
Views:	64
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	779973

          So Bucks Row and Hanbury St were only 200 yards from Dutfields yard?

          Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-01-27 at 10.38.52 am.png
Views:	61
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	779974

          By 7:00 a new story, still not right, replaced the old one.

          Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-01-27 at 10.41.12 am.png
Views:	58
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	779975

          And so the old story about Koster was dismissed and new version circulated.

          dustymiller
          aka drstrange

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
            . "I was one of those who first saw the murdered woman. It was about a quarter to 1 o'clock, I should think
            Cleary guessing and clearly wrong.
            Definition of I should/would think
            1—used to say that one believes that something is true, that a particular situation exists, that something will happen, etc."Is she still in college?" "Well, yes. I should/would think so."
            2—used to express one's opinion that something should exist or happenI should/would think he would apologize.
            “Contrariwise,” continued Tweedledee, “if it was so, it might be, and if it were so, it would be but as it isn’t, it ain’t. That’s logic.”

            Everything that needs to be said has already been said. But since no one was listening, everything must be said again. - Andre Gide

            Comment


            • Originally posted by GBinOz View Post

              Definition of I should/would think
              1—used to say that one believes that something is true, that a particular situation exists, that something will happen, etc."Is she still in college?" "Well, yes. I should/would think so."
              2—used to express one's opinion that something should exist or happenI should/would think he would apologize.
              Yes but in that context with the use of the word ‘about’ he was clearly uncertain. If he’d just checked a clock why would he have said this? You’ve accepted clocks can be out. Although it can’t state it as a proven fact George I tend to think that he’d probably checked the club clock at perhaps around 12.00ish and just estimated the time gap between then and the moment that he first heard that a body had been discovered. Obviously he’d have had no reason to log the time as he’d dashed to see the body. It’s not impossible that he was unaware of the time that he’d gone downstairs and so asked the question when talking to another club member. If that member was Kozebrodski who estimated 12.40 then he might have just said to the Police “about 12.45” because Koz had already been in the yard when he got there and Koz?

              Whatever the explanation George I’m absolutely convinced that there was nothing sinister going on. Just understandable errors, especially under the circumstances.
              Last edited by Herlock Sholmes; 01-27-2022, 10:15 AM.
              Regards

              Herlock Sholmes

              Comment


              • Originally posted by NotBlamedForNothing View Post

                Apparently Louis also went by the name, Joseph.

                What evidence is there for this ‘apparently?’

                You lot don't like any evidence that strays from the standard story, do you?

                And you don’t like any evidence that points away from the sinister.
                If the Police took up your methods there wouldn’t be enough cells in the country. Why are you so averse to prosaic explanations? That’s what life is like for the vast majority of the time. To quote again the well known phrase by Sagan: “extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.” But to prove something sinister went on all that you have is stuff like someone, via the Press, using ‘up’ and ‘down.’ A couple of people estimating times that are 15 minutes out. This is the weakest of weak stuff and this is why you have to resort to imagination. To the knitting together of various disparate threads to weave a scenario. Then when others suggest a calmer approach you have to resort to the laughable ‘defending the orthodoxy’ claim.
                Regards

                Herlock Sholmes

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

                  1.00
                  Is that 01:00 GMT, or 01:00 Very Reasonable Margin of Error Time?

                  Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

                  Cleary guessing and clearly wrong.
                  Do you mean 12:45 GMT was wrong, or 12:45 Very Reasonable Margin of Error Time, was wrong?

                  It seems to me that your assignment of Very Reasonable Margins of Error, is Very Selective.
                  Andrew's the man, that is not blamed for nothing

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by NotBlamedForNothing View Post

                    Is that 01:00 GMT, or 01:00 Very Reasonable Margin of Error Time?



                    Do you mean 12:45 GMT was wrong, or 12:45 Very Reasonable Margin of Error Time, was wrong?

                    It seems to me that your assignment of Very Reasonable Margins of Error, is Very Selective.
                    How am I being selective? Your the one who appears to be averse to applying a reasonable margin for error. Just like certain posters on the Lechmere thread who need to narrow down to exact times to make a point.
                    Regards

                    Herlock Sholmes

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

                      Yes but in that context with the use of the word ‘about’ he was clearly uncertain. If he’d just checked a clock why would he have said this? You’ve accepted clocks can be out. Although it can’t state it as a proven fact George I tend to think that he’d probably checked the club clock at perhaps around 12.00ish and just estimated the time gap between then and the moment that he first heard that a body had been discovered. Obviously he’d have had no reason to log the time as he’d dashed to see the body. It’s not impossible that he was unaware of the time that he’d gone downstairs and so asked the question when talking to another club member. If that member was Kozebrodski who estimated 12.40 then he might have just said to the Police “about 12.45” because Koz had already been in the yard when he got there and Koz?
                      It's time this "Herschburg was in the club" nonsense, was put to bed. He clearly speaks as an outsider ...

                      "I was one of those who first saw the murdered woman. It was about a quarter to 1 o'clock, I should think, when I heard a policeman's whistle blown, and came down to see what was the matter in the gateway. Two or three people had collected, and when I got there I saw a short dark young woman lying on the ground, with a gash between 4 and 5 inches long in her throat. I should think she was 25 to 28 years of age. Her head was towards the north wall, against which she was lying. She had a black dress on, with a bunch of flowers pinned on the breast. In her hand there was a little piece of paper containing five or six cachous. The body was not found by Koster, but by a man whose name I do not know, a man who goes out with a pony and barrow, and lives up the archway where he was going, I believe, to put up his barrow on coming home from market. He thought it was his wife at first, but when he found her safe at home he got a candle and found this woman. He never touched it till the doctor had been sent for. The little gate is always open, or at all events unfastened, but I don't think the yard is one which is used by loose women. There are some stables in there - Messrs Duncan, Woollatt, and Cade I believe - and there is a place to which a lot of girls take home sacks which they have been engaged in making. None of these would be there though after about 1 o'clock on Saturday afternoon. None of us recognised the woman. I don't think she belongs to this neighbourhood. She was dressed very respectably. There seemed to be no wounds on the body About the club? Oh, yes, it would be open till 2 or 3 this morning. I suppose it is a Socialist club, and there are generally rows there. Both men and women go there. They [not 'we'] have demonstrations up there, and concerts, for which they [not 'we'] have a stage and plane. There was a row there last Sunday night. It went on till about 2 in the morning, and in the end two people were arrested."

                      If he'd been in the club, he wouldn't be saying 'there', he would be saying 'here'. That alone tells us that he wasn't there at the time of the discovery.

                      His reference to Koster is also a very big hint. He appears to know of this man by name - some random who was walking along Berner street at around the time of the discovery - but somehow he doesn't know the name of the club steward, who lives at the club with his wife. Rather strange for a man who has all that knowledge and information to offer, yet he doesn't know the name 'Louis Diemschitz'.

                      He also supposes it is a Socialist Club. How could not know for sure, if he'd been in the club and therefore presumably a member?

                      Wess: It is a Socialist club. Nobody who is elected as a member is supposed to be an anything but a Socialist, and it is understood that no member is proposed who does not conform to Socialistic principles.

                      A club member would be unlikely to volunteer information about rows at the club, that led to arrests.

                      Last but not least, no one from the club is on record as saying they were upstairs or anywhere else at the time, and heard a whistle before the police arrived.

                      Herschburg was not in club at the time of the discovery, and he was not a member.

                      Whatever the explanation George I’m absolutely convinced that there was nothing sinister going on. Just understandable errors, especially under the circumstances.
                      Define 'sinister', for this context.
                      Last edited by NotBlamedForNothing; 01-27-2022, 12:07 PM.
                      Andrew's the man, that is not blamed for nothing

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

                        If the Police took up your methods there wouldn’t be enough cells in the country.
                        That is quite ironic, coming from a Schwartzist.

                        The Star: In the matter of the Hungarian who said he saw a struggle between a man and a woman in the passage where the Stride body was afterwards found, the Leman-street police have reason to doubt the truth of the story. They arrested one man on the description thus obtained, and a second on that furnished from another source, but they are not likely to act further on the same information without additional facts. If every man should be arrested who was known to have been seen in company with an abandoned woman in that locality on last Saturday night, the police-stations would not hold them.
                        Andrew's the man, that is not blamed for nothing

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by NotBlamedForNothing View Post

                          It's time this "Herschburg was in the club" nonsense, was put to bed. He clearly speaks as an outsider ...

                          "I was one of those who first saw the murdered woman. It was about a quarter to 1 o'clock, I should think, when I heard a policeman's whistle blown, and came down to see what was the matter in the gateway. Two or three people had collected, and when I got there I saw a short dark young woman lying on the ground, with a gash between 4 and 5 inches long in her throat. I should think she was 25 to 28 years of age. Her head was towards the north wall, against which she was lying. She had a black dress on, with a bunch of flowers pinned on the breast. In her hand there was a little piece of paper containing five or six cachous. The body was not found by Koster, but by a man whose name I do not know, a man who goes out with a pony and barrow, and lives up the archway where he was going, I believe, to put up his barrow on coming home from market. He thought it was his wife at first, but when he found her safe at home he got a candle and found this woman. He never touched it till the doctor had been sent for. The little gate is always open, or at all events unfastened, but I don't think the yard is one which is used by loose women. There are some stables in there - Messrs Duncan, Woollatt, and Cade I believe - and there is a place to which a lot of girls take home sacks which they have been engaged in making. None of these would be there though after about 1 o'clock on Saturday afternoon. None of us recognised the woman. I don't think she belongs to this neighbourhood. She was dressed very respectably. There seemed to be no wounds on the body About the club? Oh, yes, it would be open till 2 or 3 this morning. I suppose it is a Socialist club, and there are generally rows there. Both men and women go there. They have demonstrations up there, and concerts, for which they have a stage and plane. There was a row there last Sunday night. It went on till about 2 in the morning, and in the end two people were arrested."

                          If he'd been in the club, he wouldn't be saying 'there', he would be saying 'here'. That alone tells us that he wasn't there at the time of the discovery.

                          His reference to Koster is also a very big hint. He appears to know of this man by name - some random who was walking along Berner street at around the time of the discovery - but somehow he doesn't know the name of the club steward, who lives at the club with his wife. Rather strange for a man who has all that knowledge and information to offer, yet he doesn't know the name 'Louis Diemschitz'.

                          He also supposes it is a Socialist Club. How could not know for sure, if he'd been in the club and therefore presumably a member?

                          Wess: It is a Socialist club. Nobody who is elected as a member is supposed to be an anything but a Socialist, and it is understood that no member is proposed who does not conform to Socialistic principles.

                          A club member would be unlikely to volunteer information about rows at the club, that led to arrests.

                          Last but not least, no one from the club is on record as saying they were upstairs or anywhere else at the time, and heard a whistle before the police arrived.

                          Herschburg was not in club at the time of the discovery, and he was not a member.




                          Define 'sinister', for this context.
                          The use of the word ‘there’ as opposed to ‘here’ is dependent on where he was when he was interviewed. If he was interviewed at home then why would he have said ‘here?’

                          The point about Koster could simply have meant that he’d heard the story about Koster and knew that it was untrue and that the body had been discovered by the steward of the club.

                          If a man is a member of a club it doesn’t follow that he knows the name of every single member. Especially someone like Diemschitz who had a job away from the club which would have meant that he wasn’t there all of the time.

                          We also can’t know how long Hoschberg had been visiting the club? He might have only visited a few times.

                          Can we state that only members visited the club or is that another assumption? There are clubs all over the country where people can visit regularly without ever becoming an actual member so how can we know that Hoschberg wasn’t just an occasional visitor?

                          Why does he only “suppose” that it’s a Socialist club? Well firstly the name of the club doesn’t include the word Socialist so it wasn’t a given. Secondly, at that time Socialist was considered by the establishment to have been almost synonymous with Republican or Revolutionary, Anarchist or even potential terrorist. So it’s understandable that he might have been reluctant to admit that he might have had socialist sympathies too.


                          ”Came down” implies that he was upstairs of course even though you’ll deny this.

                          Then we have Wess saying:

                          “…the bulk of the people present then left the premises by the street door entrance, while between 20 and 30 members remained behind in the large room, and about a dozen were downstairs.”

                          Clearly meaning that some were upstairs.

                          And Morris Eagle:

                          “As soon as I entered the club I went to see a friend, who was in the upstairs room, and who was singing a song in the Russian language.”

                          …..

                          Glad to have been able to ‘put to bed’ your stating of an opinion as a fact, again.
                          Last edited by Herlock Sholmes; 01-27-2022, 12:21 PM.
                          Regards

                          Herlock Sholmes

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by NotBlamedForNothing View Post

                            That is quite ironic, coming from a Schwartzist.

                            The Star: In the matter of the Hungarian who said he saw a struggle between a man and a woman in the passage where the Stride body was afterwards found, the Leman-street police have reason to doubt the truth of the story. They arrested one man on the description thus obtained, and a second on that furnished from another source, but they are not likely to act further on the same information without additional facts. If every man should be arrested who was known to have been seen in company with an abandoned woman in that locality on last Saturday night, the police-stations would not hold them.
                            The Police very obviously didn’t see everything and everyone as being evidence of a plot. In fact the Police who interviewed everyone face to face and knew far more than we did and were in a position to check times/alibis etc saw nothing suspicious.

                            Do you think that not one single officer said “hold on, these two blokes Hoschberg and Kozebrodski say they were in the yard with the body before Diemschitz said that he’d got back.” You don’t think that they might have looked into it a little closer than we’re able to? Don’t you think that’s it’s possible (or even likely) that they did and came to the clear conclusion that these two were out in their estimations?

                            This is one of the problems in looking at certain aspects of the case. While we have to accept the limitations of police knowledge at the time it doesn’t mean that Officers (especially one’s like Abberline) were complete bunglers who couldn’t see a possible issue when it stared them in the face.
                            Regards

                            Herlock Sholmes

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by GBinOz View Post

                              Definition of I should/would think
                              1—used to say that one believes that something is true, that a particular situation exists, that something will happen, etc."Is she still in college?" "Well, yes. I should/would think so."
                              2—used to express one's opinion that something should exist or happenI should/would think he would apologize.
                              Here's an example similar to 2:

                              Coroner: Would you have heard a cry of distress?
                              Wess: If it had been the cry of a woman for help, or of "Murder," I think we should have heard it, even although there was singing and dancing in the club.

                              Poor Liz Stride. If only those three screams had not been so soft, I should think they would have been able to come to her aid. For some reason she kept her voice down when being assaulted, while two other men fled the scene in terror. Or so the story goes.
                              Andrew's the man, that is not blamed for nothing

                              Comment


                              • >>Coroner: Would you have heard a cry of distress? Wess: If it had been the cry of a woman for help, or of "Murder," I think we should have heard it, even although there was singing and dancing in the club.
                                If only those three screams had not been so soft, I should think they would have been able to come to her aid.<<


                                Surely Baxter was asking Wess if cries from the murder site would be heard. The Schwartz cries happened in the street outside the gates. Hardly comparable.
                                dustymiller
                                aka drstrange

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X