A new front in the history wars? A new article on 'the five'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jmenges View Post
    What I was trying to say in reply to Observer when he asked had anyone clammed up when they mentioned the Ripper is-
    Tower Hamlets Local History Library declined my request to record and release Julian Woodford’s talk on the Boss of Bethnal Green solely because the word ‘Ripper’ appears in the name of my podcast.
    I found that pretty odd.

JM
    Really Mr M? The bloke in charge of the local history section in the Bancroft Road Library, was the exact opposite. i believe his name was Clive. Many years ago a friend and I visited the Bishopgate institute library, they have a few bits dealing with the Ripper murders. The librarian let me take a photograph of a small wanted hand bill they have.

On the whole I believe the general public regard the average "Ripperologist" for want of a better word, harmless. Of course the politically correct brigade are a different matter. Fortunately they are in a minority.
    Last edited by Observer; 02-23-2021, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Observer View Post

Really? A "Ripperologist" who's not interested in solving the case. That's novel. That's where we differ Each to his own though. I'm finding it hard to envisage how anyone would be suspicious at the mention of Jack The Ripper.

With regard to original research, I was thinking somewhere along the lines of that article which revealed the Kosminski court appearance for walking a dog without a lead, rather than the name of the dog which belonged to the woman who lived three doors down from Kate Eddowes when she was a ten year old lass. I made the latter up of course, but I hope you get the drift. There's research, and there's reasearch which makes a difference, if you know what I mean.

Anyhow each to his own
      It’s an extension of family research as far as I’m concerned. I know virtually nothing about Montague Druitt or Melville McNaghten, but I could provide you with the biographies of loads of Harrison, Barber slaughtermen or residents of Breezer’s Hill etc.

I’m not claiming to be entirely immune to the mystery - I have a home-grown suspect for the Tabram murder - but it really is way down the list of reasons for my involvement in ‘Ripperology’.

Comment

Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post

It’s an extension of family research as far as I’m concerned. I know virtually nothing about Montague Druitt or Melville McNaghten, but I could provide you with the biographies of loads of Harrison, Barber slaughtermen or residents of Breezer’s Hill etc.

I’m not claiming to be entirely immune to the mystery - I have a home-grown suspect for the Tabram murder - but it really is way down the list of reasons for my involvement in ‘Ripperology’.
        Righto Mr B, as I said each to his own.

It's odd though with regard to those who are interested in family research, (and I know quite a few individuals so inclined) are rather enamored more with their criminal ancestors as opposed to the more mundane, the bakers, the blacksmiths, the road sweepers.

Comment

My interest of Breezers Hill probably extends 70 odd years before the Ripper "era", back to the time of the Ratcliffe Road murders. You must of seen that photo of the Highway looking East from number 8 the address of the Prince Regent PH. The entrance into Breezers Hill is surely in that photo.

Comment

Originally posted by Kattrup View Post
            at least Sam Flynn and RJ Palmer get mentioned, they must be stoked!
            Yes. Now I can die happy.

Comment

My interest of Breezers Hill probably extends 70 odd years before the Ripper "era", back to the time of the Ratcliffe Road murders. You must of seen that photo of the Highway looking East from number 8 the address of the Prince Regent PH. The entrance into Breezers Hill is surely in that photo.
              I think I know the photo you mean - there are a couple of very small people in the right foreground?

Breezers Hill is just out of shot, unfortunately. There is a photo of the White Bear at 1, St George Street, which was on the Breezers Hill corner, but that’s about it as far as I know.

I’m also interested in the Ratcliffe Highway murders.

Comment

Originally posted by rjpalmer View Post

Yes. Now I can die happy.
                Can I have your autograph before you go?

Comment

I think I know the photo you mean - there are a couple of very small people in the right foreground?

Breezers Hill is just out of shot, unfortunately. There is a photo of the White Bear at 1, St George Street, which was on the Breezers Hill corner, but that’s about it as far as I know.

I’m also interested in the Ratcliffe Highway murders.
                  Here's a link Mr B.

By my reckoning, isn't that the turning into Breezers Hill in the distance, just where the woman in the white apron is standing far left of photo?

Comment

Hold on, are you saying that Breezers Hill was situated, before St Georges Street began?

Comment

Here's a link Mr B.

By my reckoning, isn't that the turning into Breezers Hill in the distance, just where the woman in the white apron is standing far left of photo?
                      Yes, that’s the photo I had in mind. The turning you refer to is into Artichoke Hill. Breezers Hill was behind the photographer.

Charles Lechmere’s mum’s cats meat shop was on the corner of Artichoke Hill.

Comment

Yes, that’s the photo I had in mind. The turning you refer to is into Artichoke Hill. Breezers Hill was behind the photographer.

Charles Lechmere’s mum’s cats meat shop was on the corner of Artichoke Hill.
                        Right, I was under the impression that Breezers Hill turned off St George Street.

Comment

Right, I was under the impression that Breezers Hill turned off St George Street.
                          It does. There were 4 ‘hills’ running between The Highway and Pennington Street, W-E: Breezer’s, Artichoke, John’s and Chigwell.

Comment

It does. There were 4 ‘hills’ running between The Highway and Pennington Street, W-E: Breezer’s, Artichoke, John’s and Chigwell.

Right yes I see what you mean now. The Prince Regent is number 8, so the Corner of Breezers Hill was number 1?

Comment

There's a photo of number 47, which I believe was between Chigwell, and George Yard. Here's the link

Thomas Herbert had started his business in a shed in the back garden of his fatherinlaws Benjamin Brinkhurst house at Catherine Street later renamed Anthony Street.Thomas Herbert had started his business in a shed in the back garden of his fatherinlaw's Benjamin Brinkhurst house at Catherine Street

Comment

Right yes I see what you mean now. The Prince Regent is number 8, so the Corner of Breezers Hill was number 1?
                                Yes, the White Bear on the NE corner was 1, George Street(Highway). On the other corner there had been a sugar refinery which was replaced by Gooch and Cousens wool warehouse which is still there.

Comment

Working...
                                X