Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied
    I just checked and this plaque is still there. Who was Hasbro?

Leave a comment:

• Joshua Rogan
    replied
    Originally posted by rjpalmer View Post

Hi Joshua.

Old Bailey On-Line has an entry on Saunderson, but since he was found unfit to plead it is minimal, so I had to rely on the inquest reports and pre-trial hearings from newspaper sources. I started a new thread under "suspects," with a long article from Reynolds that includes a sketch. More tomorrow. Cheers.
    Many thanks, I'll have a good read.

Now we can go back to the craic about Jack's plaque!

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied
    Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post

I got "This page does not exist" message when trying that link, Herlock.

"Dr. S.S.A. Hasbro, surgeon and restauranteur" is a humorous sobriquet. I'll be surprised if the plaque is still there now.
    Hi Pat,

I deleted all of my imggb photos sorry.

Leave a comment:

• Pcdunn
    replied
    Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
    Does anyone know anything about this?

https://ibb.co/T4tct12
    I got "This page does not exist" message when trying that link, Herlock.

"Dr. S.S.A. Hasbro, surgeon and restauranteur" is a humorous sobriquet. I'll be surprised if the plaque is still there now.

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied
    Do we know who actually lived in that building between 1891 and 1899?

Leave a comment:

• rjpalmer
    replied
    Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
    Do you have a link to the court proceedings, rj?
    Hi Joshua.

Old Bailey On-Line has an entry on Saunderson, but since he was found unfit to plead it is minimal, so I had to rely on the inquest reports and pre-trial hearings from newspaper sources. I started a new thread under "suspects," with a long article from Reynolds that includes a sketch. More tomorrow. Cheers.

Leave a comment:

• Joshua Rogan
    replied
    Do you have a link to the court proceedings, rj?

Leave a comment:

• rjpalmer
    replied
    I re-read the court proceedings last night. Saunderson wasn't in Ireland in 1888; he already appears to have been staying at the institution in Hampton Wick, which is referred to as "Eastcote." There is also at least one reference to him sometimes lodging outside the institution.

The link above doesn't give the whole story. Yes, he was arrested in Belfast, but he escaped police custody and was arrested again in Killeshandra, west of Cavan. The UK Census shows that he was still 'safely caged' in Broadmoor in 1901 and 1911.

Leave a comment:

• DJA
    replied
    Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Jack the Ripper: A Suspect Guide - Reginald Saunderson

Leave a comment:

• Joshua Rogan
    replied
    Originally posted by rjpalmer View Post
    I don't think this has anything to do with this bogus plaque, but there was an alleged "Ripper" murder in this same general neighborhood in November 1894. A woman named Augusta Dawes was found in Holland Park Road with her throat cut. The suspected murderer was Reginald Saunderson, who afterwards fled to Dublin and wrote a confession signed "Jack the Ripper." The case caused quite a stir because his uncle was an MP. I don't recall where Saunderson was living at the time of the murder, but when arrested he was taken to Kensington High Street police station. He was certified insane and sent to Broadmoor, where he would have presumably met T. H. Cutbush. He was apparently living in Ireland in 1888, in a school for weak-minded boys and young men, but is said to have run away frequently.
    Thanks RJ, I'd not heard of that one. Interesting that his father said he had become weak-minded about 6 years beforehand, so round about 1888. He would only have been 15 years old at the time, though.
    There's a few other interesting points about the case that strike me, too.

​​​​​​​Firstly, there was a witness (jewish, naturally) who saw the murder and gave chase to the killer, but lost him. He then went home, and didn't mention anything to the police about what he'd seen until some time later (possibly not until after the first day of the inquest) when a friend persuaded him he should say something.
    Shades of Hutchinson?

Secondly, the killer apparently kneed his poor victim in the stomach, rendering her unable to scream, before cutting her throat. I've often wondered if a similar technique was used to subdue the Whitechapel victims. As it happens, Augusta was still able to utter a few words before she died, so although it proved fatal there must be some doubt about the extent of the cut to her throat. But then, the killer Saunderson was disturbed at this point.

​​​​​​​Thirdly, he apparently got blood on one glove while slitting her throat (explaining this to a friend by saying he had helped police move a murder victim). Augusta was probably still at least half upright and leaning forward at the time, though, rather than laid on her back.

​​​Well, I thought they were interesting.
    ​​​​​

Leave a comment:

• rjpalmer
    replied
    I don't think this has anything to do with this bogus plaque, but there was an alleged "Ripper" murder in this same general neighborhood in November 1894. A woman named Augusta Dawes was found in Holland Park Road with her throat cut. The suspected murderer was Reginald Saunderson, who afterwards fled to Dublin and wrote a confession signed "Jack the Ripper." The case caused quite a stir because his uncle was an MP. I don't recall where Saunderson was living at the time of the murder, but when arrested he was taken to Kensington High Street police station. He was certified insane and sent to Broadmoor, where he would have presumably met T. H. Cutbush. He was apparently living in Ireland in 1888, in a school for weak-minded boys and young men, but is said to have run away frequently.

Leave a comment:

• Yabs
    replied
    If it is publicity for Hasbro the game publishers, perhaps it’s some novelty version of Monopoly.

Leave a comment:

• Sam Flynn
    replied
    Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post

I thought maybe Operation
    Ouch!

Leave a comment:

• Joshua Rogan
    replied
    Originally posted by Robert View Post
    Maybe publicity for some new version of Cluedo?
    I thought maybe Operation

Leave a comment:

• Yabs
    replied
    The original plaque which can’t be seen properly seems smaller and different, but the location is the same

Leave a comment:

Working...
X