A French connection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello all,

I have been using some time listening, once again to various podcasts. I listened to the podcast you mentioned Archaic, and in that podcast, Robert mentioned one thing that I had previously missed but caught my ear this time around, namely..

The photgraphs that were printed in The Diary of Jack the Ripper. Here the photographs are shown in the condition as sent in in 1987, namely on cardboard background with each victim labled.

I looked carefully at these pictures, and noticed that on the top of each page, the words "WHITECHAPEL VICTIMS" is typed onto a strip of paper, adhered to the page. Also, the same with the names, place and date of each victim.

There are three pages of photographs printed in the book.

The first one of MJK, both photo's on same page, the 2nd page with Nicholls, Chapman and Eddowes, and the thrid page of Elizabeth Stride.

Now, the Kelly page... note the label above the photograph is "dirty, shaded or smudged"....yet the caption underneath is relatively clean. It looks like the typewriter print is different too..the capital "M" in "Millers Court" compared to the capital "M" in "VICTIMS".

On the 2nd page, the titled label above the photograph is again, quite clean, but the three names under each victim, , especially Chapman's is again smudged. And the label UNDER Eddowes is not only smaller, but altogether different. The typing is completely different compared to the other two labels under the photographs, , and the murder date is hand written, as is the name. With the Stride page, it seems the lpage is only half a page for just the one photo.

I am starting to wonder if..
    a) The label under Kelly is a later addition
    b) The label under Eddowes is a later addition or the original, vis a vis the other two labels,
    c) That these photographs were actually not originally adhered to the cardboard and that it has been done later for display purposes.

I would like to see a picture of all the photographs taken in situe with the background cardboard. I know an Eddowes photo has since disappeared from Kew, but wondered if that microfilmed photo of Eddowes shows the background cardboard, with label underneath.

The pages themselves seem, and I say this tentatively, to have been torn from an album. Was that the case with the Bond Papers as well and the Crippen material?... as these photographs come from the same source in 1987.
    The fact that this set of photographs, as Robert pointed out in the podcast, was first seen printed on cardboard in the dubious Diary, makes me wonder if the connection between them being sent in and the Diary itself is worth considering?

I welcome your comments.

best wishes

Phil
    Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
    Accountability? ....

Comment

Hello all again,

The reason I mentioned the above in connection with Croydon was the quote from Bill Waddell of the Black Museum 16 years ago..

"While going through some old photograph albums that had been used for CID training....."

Was it not the retired Police Officer from Croydon who gave "lectures"on cases... and at the same time of his family sending in HIS material after his death, these other photographs are uncovered from the Black Museum?
      Strange coincidence that they just happened to turn up at the same time... after 99 years missing...

best wishes

Phil
      Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

Hello all,

Here's an interesting connection...perhaps Robert is aware of it already...
        On Wikipedia, about Coroner Wynne Baxter...

Baxter ....was fluent in French, and, in the 1890s, translated a number of scientific books from that language into English. Baxter was also an antiquarian,[9] having in his library 3,000 volumes....

best wishes

Phil
        Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

'The Black Museum' Documentary

Man, I wish I had 3,000 books in my library!

Phil, just in case it's been 16 years since you saw that Black Museum documentary here it is on video. For those of you who haven't seen it, it's really interesting and covers a number of Scotland Yard's most famous cases. I think Bill Waddell did a great job.

I'm glad I looked for it, because I accidentally found some other Black Museum-themed stuff... outrageously campy B-movie trailers, an Orson Welles radio show, etc. I'll post them on the Pub Talk thread under 'Horrors of the Black Museum' (unless that title is already taken).

Best regards, Archaic

Comment

Hello Archaic,

Many thanks...found links to various videos from there too...

best wishes

Phil
            Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

Working...
            X