Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GUT
    replied
    Save I thought becoming a Catholic was no longer a disqualifying factor, or is it only marrying one that was removed from th ist?

Leave a comment:

• kjab3112
    replied
    Phillip had to give up both his Greek claim and also his Danish claim prior to marriage, to the point he was technically a commoner an hour before his wedding.

The link has a summary of the first hundred in line

Line of Succession to the British throne - Prince Charles, Prince William, Prince George, Princess Charlotte

Leave a comment:

• Pcdunn
    replied
    Interesting thread!

We got "The Crown" on Blu-Ray for Christmas, and have been slowly viewing the episodes. I was interested to learn that Prince Philip gave up his Greek heritage and adopted the surname Montbatten, in order to be eligible to marry Elizabeth.

Also learned that he wished for Charles and any other of his children to keep the surname Montbatten, a controversial idea that was opposed by others in the government, and a wish that he was not granted.

Kings and queens seem to me to be more at the whims of their governments than our Presidents.

Leave a comment:

• Qlder
    replied
    Re Daylight Savings Time and Birth Certificates

I'm in Australia and some years ago I asked my sister (paediatrician who does a lot of neo-natal work) about exactly the situation posited (twins born with change from DST to regular time between them). She said that during DST there was an annotation of the form showing that DST was in effect, so the correct timing of events could be ascertained. That made sense, since the people making these kind of records are usually not too silly to see such obvious complications and account for them. Of course, different jurisdictions may have other arrangements.
    Being able to determine the "true time" of an event would also have legal relevance for wills and succession where certain inheritances are conditional on the order of survivorship or the particular timing of a death.

Leave a comment:

• GUT
    replied
    Originally posted by C. F. Leon View Post
    Thanks for the information, Mayering! Fascinating, as usual. I get that William's daughter Charlotte (born 2015) is now in the "chronological line", but Annie's line is at the back of the que, so to speak. Does the change in the rule move her granddaughters up? Is the change retroactive for children born before then?

- CFL
    It wouldn’t change anything even if retrospective as I understand it.

Charles is the eldest child so comes 1st
    Will is his eldest so next
    Then George if George were to not survive Will then Charlotte comes next even if the new one is a boy.

Leave a comment:

• C. F. Leon
    replied
    Thanks for the information, Mayering! Fascinating, as usual. I get that William's daughter Charlotte (born 2015) is now in the "chronological line", but Annie's line is at the back of the que, so to speak. Does the change in the rule move her granddaughters up? Is the change retroactive for children born before then?

- CFL

Leave a comment:

• DJA
    replied
    Originally posted by GUT View Post
    That's interesting.
    Daylight savings,about as interesting as Jack being a carman

Leave a comment:

• GUT
    replied
    Interesting the Republican movement has started a fresh push here in Australia, but said that nothing will happen whileever Elizabeth II remains on the throne.

Leave a comment:

• John G
    replied
    The present Royal Family is of German extraction- the name of the royal house was changed from Saxe-Coburg and Gotha to Windsor in 1917 for obvious political reasons.

The eldest child, regardless of gender, is now first in the line of succession, i.e. the heir apparent; and Catholics are no longer disqualified from succession: Succession to the Crown Act, 2013.

Leave a comment:

• Damaso Marte
    replied
    England/UK is an odd situation because their royal succession isn't pure primogeniture - it is primogeniture as modified slightly by multiple acts of Parliament. Indeed, if you ever make a press inquiry to the British royal family about a line of succession question, you get referred to Parliament.

My recollection is that British succession laws do not consider Catholicism a genetic disorder and that Protestant children of Catholics are in the line of succession as if their parents had died but I am not 100% sure.

Was there any cutting out of Germans from the line of succession during World War One?

Leave a comment:

• GUT
    replied
    Originally posted by Robert View Post
    For fans of unusual situations, I read recently of twins (non-royal), where the first-born's time of birth was listed as later than that of the second-born's! This was because between the two births the clocks were put back an hour.
    That's interesting.

Leave a comment:

• Mayerling
    replied
    Originally posted by GUT View Post
    Not often you get it wrong Jeff, but William is older, hence comes before Harry.
    Can't say I'm flawless like a diamond GUT. I always confuse those two princes. So Charles will be followed (if Charles ever serves as King) by King William V. Strange to think that.

Ernest I of Hanover is one strange dude. He hated Catholics with a passion, and was head of the "Orange" Lodges of Protestants in the British Isles in the Regency Period. He also deeply disliked his young niece Victoria, as by being there she kept the bigger prize of ruling Great Britain, leaving him with little Hanover. However, if anyone ever presents you with a "Jeopardy" trivia questions, "Three sons became monarchs of this British monarch." the answer is the trick one of "George III" because Ernest ends up a King like older brothers George and William.

There is a mystery connected to Ernest, while Duke of Cumberland. He lived at St. James Palace, and he had a valet named Selis or De Selis. The valet was a Catholic, and the Duke (such a lovely person) taunted his valet about this failing all the time. One day the Duke stumbled into a room covered in blood from a heavy cut in his skull. His shocked aides asked what happened, and Ernest said that the valet attacked him suddenly with a cavalry sabre. They ran to the room of the valet, and found him on his bed with his throat cut. HOWEVER, the knife that did the job was not in his hand but across the room on the floor. Many would suspect Cumberland had tried something (possibly a racist attack or a homosexual attack) on the valet, and the latter defended himself. Most have considered that the goaded valet had enough and just got even. The incident, "the St. James Palace Mystery" occurred in 1810.

Couldn't recall the name of the Duke of York (George IV's brother and heir to the throne from 1820 to 1827). It was Frederick. He almost was asked (in the post-American Revolution period) to come here and become our monarch, as he was considered a soberer son of King George III than his brother George. He is best remembered for that old "nursery rhyme", "The good old Duke of York, he had 10,000 men. He marched them up a hill...and down the hill again!" The Duke was good (like in the American Civil War, Major General George McClellan) in building and training fighting forces, but mediocre as a tactician. His career in the Army came to a disastrous fall in 1809, when his mistress, an actress Mary Anne Clarke, was caught selling important posts in the military (at that time one could buy promotions and posts if you had the position and money), and pocketing a percentage for herself, with the Duke either vaguely aware of the incident or not paying sufficient attention. The Duke left his post in the Army under a cloud. Miss Clarke would serve a small prison sentence. Their relationship was ended.

Ironically, if Frederick never had any legitimate heirs by his actual legal wife, Miss Clarke did - and they proved to be illustrious. Her grandson was George DuMaurier, author of several novels, such as "Peter Ibbotson" and more notably "Trilby", which introduced the sinister figure of "Svengali" the hypnotist and music trainer. Her great grandson was the distinguished actor Gerald DuMaurier, who graced the West End theatres of the period 1900 to 1930s (and even pops up in a few early British talkies), and her great, great grand-daughter was the popular novelist Daphne DuMaurier ("Rebecca", "Frenchmen's Creek", "Jamaica Inn", "The King's General", "The Scapegoat"). Daphne would repay her great, great grand-mother's gifts to her and her family by writing a fictionalized biography "Mary Anne" about her.

Jeff

Leave a comment:

• Robert
    replied
    For fans of unusual situations, I read recently of twins (non-royal), where the first-born's time of birth was listed as later than that of the second-born's! This was because between the two births the clocks were put back an hour.

Leave a comment:

• GUT
    replied
    As a slight aside my 3x great grandfather was Royal Chaplain to the Duke if Cumberland prior to his assertion to the throne of Hannover

Leave a comment:

• GUT
    replied
    Not often you get it wrong Jeff, but William is older, hence comes before Harry.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X