Server Switching and Reprogramming..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server Switching and Reprogramming..

Due to the basic fact that computers have changed, software has changed, and even computer languages change, Casebook is going to be undergoing some reprogramming changes that can't be avoided. Without the upcoming changes, the sites will eventually stop operating. So Casebook is going to be undergoing a redesign. The Forums will also be experiencing a change as well. During the next few weeks, you might come here and find the place temporarily down. At some point, you'll notice that there is different appearance and functionality to the forums that we are all going to have get used to. This is unavoidable. So we wanted to give you a head's up that this re-coding work will take place over the next couple of weeks so you are prepared.

See you on the other side...

If this doesn't work, I can be contacted via Madame Arcati at Afterlife Solutions.

Comment

The last two major updates screwed up the Press Reports section, it didn't work for weeks.
      Regards, Jon S.

Comment

I hope it goes better than another group I belong to that just migrated from v-bulletin
        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

The main upgrade to vBulletin 5.5 is now complete. Sorry for the sudden style change - it is unavoidable as the old software we were running was no longer supported.

In theory the site should work as its always done, but if you notice anything that looks wrong please let us know.

One thing: search probably won't work for the next 10-12 hours as we have to reindex the entire board and its a slow process. Going to let it run overnight and hopefully it will be ready by tomorrow afternoon.

Comment

Is this where I am suppose to complain?

OK, good. The new forum is too bright, not Ripperesque at all. Please darken the colors, put up some disconcerting imagines, spill some blood, something! I don't know, but right now I feel like I am looking up my daughter's soccer practice schedule, not discussing the definitive serial killer; sorry but it looks like a church bulletin board --- need to think Ripper and go to work on the color scheme; got to get back that Ripperesque quality the rest oft he site still holds.

BTW System works fine, easy enough to use; smooth upgrade, at least from my end.

Comment

Originally posted by APerno View Post
              Is this where I am suppose to complain?

OK, good. The new forum is too bright, not Ripperesque at all. Please darken the colors, put up some disconcerting imagines, spill some blood, something! I don't know, but right now I feel like I am looking up my daughter's soccer practice schedule, not discussing the definitive serial killer; sorry but it looks like a church bulletin board --- need to think Ripper and go to work on the color scheme; got to get back that Ripperesque quality the rest oft he site still holds.

BTW System works fine, easy enough to use; smooth upgrade, at least from my end.
              I think this is a work in progress and we need to wait until admin has completed the task of updating the software and finalizing the new theme. This will take weeks to complete and we need to be patient while the move takes place. I'm sure that when the update is complete the site and forums will be pretty much back to normal only with a fully updated and compliant backend.
              Last edited by richardh; 01-26-2019, 12:54 PM.
              ---------------------------------------------------
              JtR3D.com JtR 3D Blog
              ---------------------------------------------------
              HHAP

Comment

Originally posted by richardh View Post

I think this is a work in progress and we need to wait until admin has completed the task of updating the software and finalizing the new theme. This will take weeks to complete and we need to be patient while the move takes place. I'm sure that when the update is compete the site and forums will be pretty much back to normal only with a fully updated and compliant backend.
                Thank you, yes. Priority right now is function, once that is complete, we'll start the work on overall theme and appearance. The back end of the forums that contains all the tools are literally entirely new and different and we have to figure out the new process and the new "nuts and bolts" before we start. For instance, I personally hate the new categories that are now appearing under all the the main forums, and want to turn that off for a "cleaner" look. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to do it. I just looked at the back end, and literally every single menu bar is completely different than what we've been using for the last... 20 years. Yeesh. I'm old. Anyway, this will be an ongoing work in progress. However, if people would like to scroll through and list things they do like about the new features and things they don't, to at least call attention to function that is different (better or worse) it would be appreciated. As with any massive change, we don't always know what will be affected and it can take a while for us to sort through. Complaints will not be accepted but helpful criticisms and pointing out differences that you would like to see reverted back (if possible) and new things you like that you would like to keep will also be taken under advisement. Again -- this software is new to us as well so I am not sure what will be possible and what won't be, so your patience while we go through this (and yes it will take weeks) will be appreciated.

Thanks, all.

P.S. I will be trying out different things on the Pub Talk forums so if you see that forum undergoing many, rapid "What the heck is going on?!!" changes in the next few days, that is the reason. The Pub Talk forums are going to basically be the guinea pig for whatever changes we make.
                Last edited by Admin; 01-26-2019, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by richardh View Post

I think this is a work in progress and we need to wait until admin has completed the task of updating the software and finalizing the new theme. This will take weeks to complete and we need to be patient while the move takes place. I'm sure that when the update is complete the site and forums will be pretty much back to normal only with a fully updated and compliant backend.
                  I am curious, what pretension causes you to judge me impatient?

Comment

Very Zen layout and feel to the site.

Does anyone think this will lead to posters being a bit more chilled and respectful?

Oh well, it was worth a try.

Comment

Will we be allowed avatars at long last, or nay?

Comment

Avatars are probably a yes. We're still deciding on Reputation and a few other options that we think my cause problems down the road.

Comment

Looks like a wee glitch in the page title needs fixing on the Forums landing page. My browser bar says "Caebook"

Click image for larger version

Name:	Caebook.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	700613
                          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Fixed, thanks!

Comment

Is it possible we could go back to Verdana as the main body font? It's easier to read and 'pops' on the page more than the current default (Arial?)

Click image for larger version

Name:	skqaw4.png
Views:	251
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	700625

Comment

Working...
                              X