London Dungeon Jack new section

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• London Dungeon Jack new section

Have the day off work tomorrow - thinking of maybe going and seeing this Jack The Ripper section at the London Dungeon - anyone here been? Any good?
    I did search on here first and couldnt find any related threads so sorry if this is a re-post.

Here is their site that mentions the "tour".

The London Dungeon brings together an amazing cast of actors, special effects, scenes and rides. Book your tickets for one of London's best tourist attractions!

Hi Adam.

I worked at The London Dungeon for a year in 1998. Though it was one of the most enoyable and fun jobs I ever had, I wouldn't really recommend the place for serious study. In fact, I wouldn't recommend it for comic study either.

The whole ethos of the place is to use death, murder and torture as a means of entertainment. It does not rely on facts and always presents everything in the mythical setting of whatever it describes.

It is certainly a popular attraction and I would actually consider going again as a tourist (though the flashbacks might be too much for me and I think not working there any more would depress me).

You will certainly leave the JTR section fuming. There is a fair old amount of stuff there, but be ready for the top hat and the buxom wench. Don't expect Freddie Mercury.

PHILIP
    Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

I went to the London Dungeon quite soon after it first opened and I hated it. Being quite a serious student of social history, I disliked the fun fair 'ghost house' type of approach to history and therefore I suppose I should have known better. Rather than take my children there, I took them to the Museum of London, which they loved.

Comment

Limehouse,

I agree. I did it in 2003.

Id sooner walk around the area than go through that again. I suggest others do the same, talk one of Phils walks. Beleive me, youd learn a lot more.

Monty
        Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

ok but from the posters Ive seen on the tube recently it suggests its a new or improved Jack section.

oh well, didnt make it today but maybe Sunday, still better than sitting around indoors.

Comment

Hi Adam.

I don't think anything has been done to their Ripper section. They're just using it on posters at the moment on the back of Sweeny Todd (they probably have the two having a West Side Story-esque 'rumble'), the anniversary and the Docklands exhibition.

I first went to the Dungeon when I was only eight years old. I loved it. It was a very different place then. Had I gone at that time as an adult I would probably have found it terrible. Shop dummies behind chicken wire, it was.

If you want a better idea, go round the corner to The Old Operating Theatre. That's one to see!

PHILIP

Comment

I went to it some years ago and was crammed into a gallery along with everyone else, looking down on a mortuary slab if memory serves me well. A dummy of a doctor standing over it.
              There was then a speech about nobody knowing who he was and images of suspects projected on a panel in the wall above the dummy, there was then a jet of flame which shot out across the room from above the images that took off most of my eyebrows!
              That's the Ripper experience is it?

Comment

Hi Normy. That's The London Dungeon's Ripper Experience, yes.

Maybe not ours!

PHILIP

Comment

Working...
                X