Resources spent in Ripper-investigation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resources spent in Ripper-investigation

I posted this on jtrforums.com a few days ago, I thought someone here might have come across similar articles in British papers.

I would have thought the statistics would come from some official source, high-level police officer or Home Office statement. They seem to come from some account of expenditures/efforts made.

The paper was (and is) respectable, and would not print just anything without some idea (though possibly mistaken) that the info was above-board.

So, just wondering if the source for these statistics is known? The numbers imply that any articles in British papers would date from between 5th of February and 8th of March, I believe.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Jyllandsposten, March 8th 1889.

The murders in Whitechapel have cost the police enough, without however the murderer being caught.

The police have to that aim arrested 1389 persons, who in all were imprisoned for 8922 days before they succeeded in proving that they were guiltfree
    These persons' imprisonment, transport and subsistence in prison alone cost more than 1200 pounds. Telegraphic and other investigations took 730 pounds. The detective officers sent to all countries have in addition until the 5th of February cost the state 3100 pounds, while in the same period were paid out 380 pounds to printed materials, letters and for persons who were placed under surveillance by the police. Until now somewhat more than 5600 pounds total have been spent in the so far fruitless efforts to find Jack the cutter-up.

Of those arrested as suspects 898 were English subjects, 246 Americans, 123 Germans, 26 Frenchmen, 20 Norwegians and Swedes, 18 Hungarians and Austrians, 14 Italians, 9 Spaniards and 9 Russians, 3 Swiss, 4 Belgians and Dutch, 1 Dane, while the nationality of 18 was not able to be determined.
    Attached Files

Some journalist in Britain was determined to collect all the facts and figures he could? Unless this is a flight of journalistic imagination, with figures just pulled out of nowhere. However, the article appears to contain the sort of information that would be collated from official sources at either the Home Office or Scotland Yard. It just reads like that.

Is it possible that the editors or proprietors of the newspaper had some contact among senior British officials? This Jylandspostern report just doesn't read to me like one of those cobbled together affairs collated by a journalist, either in Britain or abroad.

Comment

Hello Kattrup,

The UK Finacial year ends March 31, so it's strange for an article to refer to costing totals to February. Has anybody checked Hansard to see if this was the subject of discussions or sub committees in Parliment?
      dustymiller
      aka drstrange

Comment

Wow 1389 arrests, a field day, for wrongful arrest claims.
        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Working...
        X