Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Halloween Mystery: The Monro Standpoint

Hi,

Halloween is coming up and why not spend it trying to solve one of the biggest questions in ripperology?

The question I have chosen is intimately connected to Jack the Ripper and James Monro.

I call it The Monro Standpoint (his own word).

I know that various aspects of The Monro Standpoint have been debated in the forum earlier. But debaters often change and develope their views.

And the question of how the standpoint should be interpreted has no solution yet. It remains a mystery.

The Monro Standpoint relies on very sparse data. But this also gives us a great chance to discuss the meaning of it and perhaps find valid and reliable answers.

(We tend to sometimes have to much data from 1888. We have to make choices along the way which lead us away from good answers. We donīt se the answer for all the data. But not in this matter.)

So here we go.

First of all Iīd like to disconnect the standpoint of Monro from Macnaghten and from the so called Macnaghten memoranda. The disconnection is based on the fact that Macnaghten did not join Scotland Yard until after the canonical murders.

Once we have disconnected the sparce sources of Monro from the later source of Macnaghten we can begin to analyze The Monro Standpoint by reading the following short text about Monro from the Casebook

(If someone has a link to the original sources not mentioned in this text, that would naturally be most valuable):

"We may not know what his theory was but we do know he had one because in 1890 he told Cassells Magazine he had "decidedly" formed a theory and "When I do theorise it is from a practical standpoint and not upon any visionary foundation." His grandson Christopher remembers him saying "Jack the Ripper should have been caught." Even more exciting, he was supposed to have left his eldest son Charles some papers relating to the case. If these ever existed they were probably destroyed by Charles Monro but he told a younger brother Douglas that their father's theory on the case was "a very hot potato."
    What could have been Monro's theory?"

(http://www.casebook.org/police_officials/po-monro.html)

And from our analyze of the text we can pose the following (and more) questions:

A) What can ”Jack the Ripper SHOULD have been caught” mean?

1. Does the text have a strong meaning, saying that they did not catch him even if they actually COULD have done so? (Should is then interpreted as could - but they chose not to do so). If yes/no – why/why not?

2. If the text (hypothetically) is correctly interpreted as having this type of strong meaning; could the commentary that Monros standpoint was ”a very hot potato” mean that the interpretation of ”should have been caught” as strong is the right interpretation? If yes/no – why/why not?

3. What is the best ”objective” (not connected to the Monro Standpoint) interpretation of the expression ”a very hot potato”?

4. Could we use a dictionary for instance and say that the best interpretation could be something like

”A problem that is so controversial or sensitive that those handling it risk unpleasant consequences”

(http://www.thefreedictionary.com/hot+potato)
    (Iīn not very interested in using dictionaries but it can be a starting point for discussions)

If yes/no – why/why not?

B) What does a ”practical” standpoint mean?

1. Could it for instance mean:

”relating to experience, real situations, or actions rather than ideas or imagination”
    (http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dict...lish/practical)

If yes/no – why/why not?

2. Could we interprete a ”practical” standpoint as a standpoint taken from Monros experience? That is, did he have his own experience of the Whitechapel killer? If yes/no – Why/why not?

3. If yes; how?

C) Can we understand Warrenīs resignation in the light of Monroīs standpoint? If yes/no – why/why not? If yes, how can we understand it?

Concearning this question, this source may be of interest (Boston Daily Globe, 13 November 1888):

(A journalist asking Warren
    ”"Is there any trouble with the police?"

"No, that is all nonsense. No feeling such as has been represented exists. I think you will find that the metropolitan police are more contented now than they have been for years."

"You did not resign on account of the last Whitechapel murder?"

Sir Charles adjusted his glasses and smiled.

"No," he resumed, emphatically,"no, I sent in my resignation before the Kelly murder, on the 8th of this month, and immediately after Mr. Matthews's statement in the House of Commons in reference to my article in Murray's Magazine. The resignation was accepted yesterday.

(http://forum.casebook.org/archive/index.php/t-4545.html)

1. How can we interpree the assertion of Warren that he ”sent” his resignation ”before the Kelly murder, on the 8th of this month”?

2. What meaning has the word ”SENT”? Did he send a telegram? A letter? Do we have a reliable source for this?

3. And what meaning has the phrase ”on the 8th”? Was it at noon? Was it 5 minutes before midnight? Do we have a reliable source for the actual time?

D) Is there any reason to hypothesize that the replacement of Warren with Monro had anything to do with the "hot potato"?

If yes/no – why/why not?

E) Which (types of) suspects would definitely NOT be a matter of a "hot potato"? Why not?

Which ones would? Why?

Wishing you all a Happy Halloween,
    Pierre
    Last edited by Pierre; 10-26-2015, 03:04 AM.

(The smiley wasnīt supposed to be in the text, something happened with the parenthesis.)

Comment

Originally posted by Pierre View Post
      Hi,

Halloween is coming up and why not spend it trying to solve one of the biggest questions in ripperology?

The question I have chosen is intimately connected to Jack the Ripper and James Monro.

I call it The Monro Standpoint (his own word).

I know that various aspects of The Monro Standpoint have been debated in the forum earlier. But debaters often change and develope their views.

And the question of how the standpoint should be interpreted has no solution yet. It remains a mystery.

The Monro Standpoint relies on very sparse data. But this also gives us a great chance to discuss the meaning of it and perhaps find valid and reliable answers.

(We tend to sometimes have to much data from 1888. We have to make choices along the way which lead us away from good answers. We donīt se the answer for all the data. But not in this matter.)

So here we go.

First of all Iīd like to disconnect the standpoint of Monro from Macnaghten and from the so called Macnaghten memoranda. The disconnection is based on the fact that Macnaghten did not join Scotland Yard until after the canonical murders.

Once we have disconnected the sparce sources of Monro from the later source of Macnaghten we can begin to analyze The Monro Standpoint by reading the following short text about Monro from the Casebook

(If someone has a link to the original sources not mentioned in this text, that would naturally be most valuable):

"We may not know what his theory was but we do know he had one because in 1890 he told Cassells Magazine he had "decidedly" formed a theory and "When I do theorise it is from a practical standpoint and not upon any visionary foundation." His grandson Christopher remembers him saying "Jack the Ripper should have been caught." Even more exciting, he was supposed to have left his eldest son Charles some papers relating to the case. If these ever existed they were probably destroyed by Charles Monro but he told a younger brother Douglas that their father's theory on the case was "a very hot potato."
      What could have been Monro's theory?"

(http://www.casebook.org/police_officials/po-monro.html)

And from our analyze of the text we can pose the following (and more) questions:

A) What can ”Jack the Ripper SHOULD have been caught” mean?

1. Does the text have a strong meaning, saying that they did not catch him even if they actually COULD have done so? (Should is then interpreted as could - but they chose not to do so). If yes/no – why/why not?

2. If the text (hypothetically) is correctly interpreted as having this type of strong meaning; could the commentary that Monros standpoint was ”a very hot potato” mean that the interpretation of ”should have been caught” as strong is the right interpretation? If yes/no – why/why not?

3. What is the best ”objective” (not connected to the Monro Standpoint) interpretation of the expression ”a very hot potato”?

4. Could we use a dictionary for instance and say that the best interpretation could be something like

”A problem that is so controversial or sensitive that those handling it risk unpleasant consequences”

(http://www.thefreedictionary.com/hot+potato)
      (Iīn not very interested in using dictionaries but it can be a starting point for discussions)

If yes/no – why/why not?

B) What does a ”practical” standpoint mean?

1. Could it for instance mean:

”relating to experience, real situations, or actions rather than ideas or imagination”
      (http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dict...lish/practical)

If yes/no – why/why not?

2. Could we interprete a ”practical” standpoint as a standpoint taken from Monros experience? That is, did he have his own experience of the Whitechapel killer? If yes/no – Why/why not?

3. If yes; how?

C) Can we understand Warrenīs resignation in the light of Monroīs standpoint? If yes/no – why/why not? If yes, how can we understand it?

Concearning this question, this source may be of interest (Boston Daily Globe, 13 November 1888):

(A journalist asking Warren
      ”"Is there any trouble with the police?"

"No, that is all nonsense. No feeling such as has been represented exists. I think you will find that the metropolitan police are more contented now than they have been for years."

"You did not resign on account of the last Whitechapel murder?"

Sir Charles adjusted his glasses and smiled.

"No," he resumed, emphatically,"no, I sent in my resignation before the Kelly murder, on the 8th of this month, and immediately after Mr. Matthews's statement in the House of Commons in reference to my article in Murray's Magazine. The resignation was accepted yesterday.

(http://forum.casebook.org/archive/index.php/t-4545.html)

1. How can we interpree the assertion of Warren that he ”sent” his resignation ”before the Kelly murder, on the 8th of this month”?

2. What meaning has the word ”SENT”? Did he send a telegram? A letter? Do we have a reliable source for this?

3. And what meaning has the phrase ”on the 8th”? Was it at noon? Was it 5 minutes before midnight? Do we have a reliable source for the actual time?

D) Is there any reason to hypothesize that the replacement of Warren with Monro had anything to do with the "hot potato"?

If yes/no – why/why not?

E) Which (types of) suspects would definitely NOT be a matter of a "hot potato"? Why not?

Which ones would? Why?

Wishing you all a Happy Halloween,
      Pierre
      I would suggest you read "Scotland Yard Investigates" by Evans and Skinner for information.

C4

Comment

Originally posted by curious4 View Post
        I would suggest you read "Scotland Yard Investigates" by Evans and Skinner for information.

C4
        Come on. You know that's not going to happen. There will be no reading outside of the secret data files for this theory.
        Thank you for the reminder though- I need to get my grubby hands on a new copy of that one.
        I’m often irrelevant. It confuses people.

Comment

C4
          Hi C4,

Are Evans or Skinner trained historians, have they attended a university?

Regards Pierre
          Last edited by Pierre; 10-26-2015, 06:45 AM.

Comment

Hi C4,

Are Evans or Skinner trained historians, have they attended a university?

Regards Pierre
            Hello Pierre

They have unprecedented axcess to documents from the period, have both, I believe, been serving police officers. They are also accepted as authorities on the Whitechapel Murders. Why would they need a university degree? Do you have one?

C4

Comment

Hi Pierre,

Warren's resignation was by way of handwritten letter dated 8 November 1888, marked 'Confidential & urgent', which is in a Home Office file at the National Archives.

I have reproduced the entire letter in Part 4 of my 'Suckered!' Quadrilogy which you can access via this page:

In that article, I also discuss at some length the issues surrounding Warren's resignation.

Comment

Hello Pierre

They have unprecedented axcess to documents from the period, have both, I believe, been serving police officers. They are also accepted as authorities on the Whitechapel Murders. Why would they need a university degree? Do you have one?

C4
                And still, that has not been very helpful, has it? I mean, having access to documents and having worked as policemen hasnīt lead to revealing who the Whitechapel murderer was.

But researchers with university degrees have done major breakthroughs in various fields of science and also in forensics.

No. I donīt have a university degree. I have several.

Regards Pierre

Comment

Originally posted by David Orsam View Post
                  Hi Pierre,

Warren's resignation was by way of handwritten letter dated 8 November 1888, marked 'Confidential & urgent', which is in a Home Office file at the National Archives.

I have reproduced the entire letter in Part 4 of my 'Suckered!' Quadrilogy which you can access via this page:

In that article, I also discuss at some length the issues surrounding Warren's resignation.
                  Hi David,

Great! Thanks.

I have read it now and I realize that the letter could have been sent the day after.

Regards Pierre
                  Last edited by Pierre; 10-26-2015, 01:50 PM.

Comment

And still, that has not been very helpful, has it? I mean, having access to documents and having worked as policemen hasnīt lead to revealing who the Whitechapel murderer was.

But researchers with university degrees have done major breakthroughs in various fields of science and also in forensics.

No. I donīt have a university degree. I have several.

Regards Pierre
                    I see. In?

Comment

I see. In?
                      You really are curious for a lot of things, arenīt you. I think thatīs an excellent quality if you are doing research.

Regards Pierre

Comment

^ Keith Skinner is a trained professional researcher and genealogist, a member of their professional association. What's coming next, Pierre, aspersions about Philip Sugden, who was an historian? Excellent that you're so superior about men like Evans and Skinner, who have a proven track record and are published authors on JTR. It will make the unveiling of your theory, whenever it is, all the better!

Comment

Originally posted by Rosella View Post
                          ^ Keith Skinner is a trained professional researcher and genealogist, a member of their professional association. What's coming next, Pierre, aspersions about Philip Sugden, who was an historian? Excellent that you're so superior about men like Evans and Skinner, who have a proven track record and are published authors on JTR. It will make the unveiling of your theory, whenever it is, all the better!
                          I'm hoping his next move is to challenge Donald Rumbelow to a knife fight.
                          I’m often irrelevant. It confuses people.

Comment

^ Can I book a front row seat for that!

Comment

Should have been caught !

I have wondered if this could have anything to do with the questioning of Packer?
                              Abberline was away and Henry Monro had to write a letter on 4th October explaining himself as to why Packers statement should have been in the 2nd edition of the Evening News News on October 4th. Packer was taken to Warren, P.S. Smith had to go to C.O. to explain himself. The letter talks of telegrams sent. It seems there was confusion.
                              Could this have rendered Packer unsuitable as a witness as his evidence was reported in the press? Could his evidence have nailed Jack?
                              Seems there was a bit of a power struggle going on?

Pat

Comment

Working...
                              X