Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Death of Kosminski's Mother

The Death of Aaron Kosminski's Mother

Aaron Kosminski's parents were Abram Kozminski and Golda Lubnowska. We do not know at what stage Golda came to the UK, but the only sighting we have of her in the available records occurs in the 1901 census, when she was living with Morris Lubnowski and his wife Matilda, Aaron Kosminki's sister.
    The household is listed in 1901 as follows:
    64 Wellesley Street, Mile End
    Head: Morris Lubnowski aged 43 born Poland (Naturalised British Subject) - Greengrocer
    Wife: Matilda Lubnowski aged 47 born Poland (British Subject)
    Children:
    Bertha aged 19 born Germany
    Annie aged 17 born Spitalfields
    Samuel aged 14 born Spitalfields
    Jane aged 12 born Spitalfields
    Millie aged 10 born Spitalfields
    Yetta aged 7 born Mile End
    Esther aged 6 born Mile End
    Wife's Mother:
    Golda Abrahams (Widow) aged 72 born Poland

Bertha Lubnowski was married in 1906 to Harry Cohen and Jane Lubnowski married in 1915 to Joseph Ascher. Both marriages took place in Mile End.
    Bertha and Harry Cohen are listed as having two children, Judah born in 1912 in Mile End and Joseph, born in 1914 in Hackney.
    Jane and Joseph Ascher are listed as the parents of Maisie R born 1919 and Maurice A born 1926. Both were listed as born in Wandsworth.

There is another child listed whose mother's maiden name is given as Lubnowski. This was John Abrahams, born in 1911 in Mile End. The one person we known of the surname Abrahams who married into the family is Woolf Abrahams, who married Aaron Kosminski's other sister, Betsy. But by 1901 this couple and their family are listed as living in Manchester as follows:
    209 Bury New Road, Cheetham, Manchester
    Head: Woolf Abrahams aged 39 born Poland - Tailor
    Wife: Betsy Abrahams aged 40 born Poland
    Children:
    Rebecca aged 19 - Tailoress
    Millie aged 14
    Matilda aged 10
    Yetta aged 8
    Joseph aged 6
    Solomon aged 3
    All born in East London
    Harry aged 7 months born Manchester
    The birthplaces of the children show that the couple had been living in London until at least 1898.
    The John Abrahams mentioned could not be Betsy's child, since by the time of his birth she would have been 51 years of age, and, in any case, her maiden name was not Lubnowski. The most likely candidate to have been his mother would be one of the younger Lubnowski daughters listed in 1901, namely, Millie or Yetta, or possibly the older daughter, Annie, whose marriage is not yet accounted for.

Golda Abrahams, Aaron's mother, is listed in 1901 as 82 years of age, which would place her year of birth at around 1819. However, we get a different year of birth of we look at Aaron's birth details. He was born in September 1865, and the registration of his birth gives his mother's age at the time as 44. This would place her year of birth as 1821. The only Golda Abrahams of advanced age listed is a woman who died in 1912. Her age at death is given as 97 and the place of registration was Wandsworth. From this we get yet another putative year of birth - 1815. What puzzled me initially was the Wandsworth location, but this was where the two Ascher children were born. However, the scenario was not as simple as Golda going to live with Joseph and Jane, her grand-daughter. She died in 1912 and the couple did not marry until 1915, at which time Jane would have been 27.
    Whether Jane moved to the Wansworth area prior to getting married is currently unknown - it is times like this when I would dearly like to get a glimpse at the 1911 census - but that will have to wait!

Hi Chris

I thought it had been established that Woolf was Aaron's natural brother and Betsy maybe a cousin at most.

Robert

Comment

Hi Rob
      Thanks for that - and I think that is so and I will amend my notes accordingly:-)

What I was trying to establish in my own mind was the Wandsworth connection (as the Ascher marriage did not occur until after Golda's death), and which female Lubnowski was the mother of the John Abrahams born in 1911
      regards
      Chris

Comment

Hi Chris

I think this is Annie :

View Record Name Year of Registration Quarter of Registration Spouse's Surname District County View Image
        View Record

Tobias Abrahams 1907 Oct-Nov-Dec Mile End Old Town London, Middlesex

View Record

Isaac Doranski 1907 Oct-Nov-Dec Mile End Old Town London, Middlesex

View Record

Isaacs Doronsky 1907 Oct-Nov-Dec Mile End Old Town London, Middlesex

View Record

Annie Lubnouski 1907 Oct-Nov-Dec Mile End Old Town London, Middlesex

View Record

Ettie Silverstone 1907 Oct-Nov-Dec Mile End Old Town London, Middlesex

Robert

Comment

Chris

The answers to some of these questions have already been posted here, but have sadly vanished into the ether.

I posted the details from Golda's death certificate from 1912 a few years ago, following your discovery of her in the 1901 census. She was living in Tooting Bec Asylum at the time of her death. Her former address was given as 5 Ashcroft Road, Mile End, which is where Morris and Matilda lived.

As for John, you did post the military record of his father Tobias Abrahams here shortly before the last crash. Tobias was the husband of Annie, the daughter of Morris and Matilda, as Robert has just confirmed.

The younger daughters, Millie, Yetta and Esther, did not marry.

Comment

Many thanks for that Robert

Tobias Abrahams and Annie Lubnouski (sic)
            Married 1907

Tobias in 1901
            7 Hutchinson Avenue, Aldgate
            Head: Jacob Abrahams aged 51 born Russia - tailor
            Children:
            Rachael aged 24 born Aldgate - Housemaid
            Esther aged 22 born Aldgate - Tailoress
            Tobias aged 17 born Spitalfields - Cabinet maker
            Fanny aged 12 born Spitalfields
            Martha aged 9 born Spitalfields

In 1891 the family lives at 30 Casson Street, Mile End
            In 1881 the family lived at 9 Ely Place, Mile End
            In 1871 the family lived at 27 Mitre Street, Aldgate

Comment

Many thanks Chris for that update - very much appreciated!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                The answers to some of these questions have already been posted here, but have sadly vanished into the ether.

I posted the details from Golda's death certificate from 1912 a few years ago, following your discovery of her in the 1901 census. She was living in Tooting Bec Asylum at the time of her death. Her former address was given as 5 Ashcroft Road, Mile End, which is where Morris and Matilda lived.
                Actually, I see it was long enough ago (two crashes ago) that the post is still online in the old archive - http://www.casebook.org/forum/messages/4922/15198.html (dated 14 January 2005).

[Edit: Re the subsequent discussion about the identity of Golda's husband, "Abraham Joseph Abrahams", of course we now know that this is just Aaron's father, retrospectively renamed Abrahams like the rest of the family.]
                Last edited by Chris; 06-28-2008, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Ascher

Jane and Joseph had 3 children, not 2. Maisie in 1919, Joyce in 1923 and Maurice in 1926. They married in Mile End in 1915 and moved to Wandsworth in 1917 which was followed by the birth of Maisie. They lived there until 1931 when they moved to Streatham (Ritherton Road). They moved again in 1936 to Woodbourne Avenue in Streatham.

Comment

Working...
                  X