Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Proof that Thompson was living in Whitechapel, just off Dorset Street.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proof that Thompson was living in Whitechapel, just off Dorset Street.

Many years ago, while researching my “Paradox 2000”, non-fiction book on the Catholic poet, Thompson, as Jack the Ripper, I referenced, “Strange Harp, Strange Symphony The Life of Francis Thompson”. This is a 1967 biography written by John Walsh. I recently purchased this book and was re-reading it when I found in, Chapter 3, page 50, Walsh had written on where Thompson was living, during his time of vagrancy until the end of 1888. Walsh states,

‘When neither food nor bed was available, he would, along with the other derelicts, often gravitate to one of the recently established Salvation Army shelters, or the Catholic Refuge in Providence Row. It was the later place that Thompson supplied, evidently from his own experience, a harrowing picture’

Walsh then quoted Thompson’s description of the Providence Row shelter. Thompson spoke of the “nightly crowd of haggard men,” who with, “sickening suspense and fear” waited to be admitted. Thompson’s account of his experiences in the Providence Row shelter was to be included in an essay, but before it was published, his editor removed all references to this shelter.

The first Salvation Army shelter to be opened was in 1888 at 21 West India Dock Road in Limehouse, soon after this, another Salvation shelter opened up on; 272 Whitechapel Road, Whitechapel. Much more important, in placing Thompson in Whitechapel during the time of the murders, is that Walsh specifies the Providence Row refuge. This homeless shelter for Catholics was opposite the western end of Dorset Street at 50 Crispin Street. It operated from this location from 1868, and today is still standing. That Thompson regularly sought this shelter is is proof that he was not just in the East End, during the murders, but living in Whitechapel, in the heartland of the Jack the Ripper murders.
    Author of

"Jack the Ripper, The Works of Francis Thompson"

http://www.francisjthompson.com/

Francis Thompson should be made the prime suspect for Jack the Ripper, because he was living in the building opposite the corner of the street, where Mary Kelly was killed. Whitechapel’s, Providence Row homeless shelter at, 50 Crispin Street, was where this ex-medical student and long time vagrant was residing. Here in the autumn of 1888, while carrying a razor sharp dissecting scalpel, and small parcel, he wandering the streets, late at night. He said he was seeking out a prostitute, after the last one he fought with had simply vanished. Thompson was carrying a knife, had the ability to use it and it can be shown he was motivated to kill prostitutes. Finally, he is the only credible suspect who can be placed closest to a murder site.
    Author of

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Patterson View Post
      Finally, he is the only credible suspect who can be placed closest to a murder site.
      According to?

Comment

Originally posted by gnote View Post
        According to?
        Great gnote. You really thought about this one. According to John Evangelist Walsh. According to his a 1967 biography on Thompson. This writer of “Strange Harp, Strange Symphony the Life of Francis Thompson,” is considered one of the foremost experts on Thompson. In his research in the UK, he had access to Thompson’s personal notes archives, unpublished letters, notebooks, and interviewed people who knew Thompson. In his 1987 edition to his book Walsh wrote, in its Appendix, of Thompson in 1888,

'At this time occurred the most bizarre coincidence in Thompson's life. During the very weeks he was searching for his prostitute friend, London was in an uproar over the ghastly deaths of five such women at the hands of Jack the Ripper...it is not beyond possibility that Thompson himself may have been questioned. He was, after all, a drug addict, acquainted with prostitutes, and, most alarming, a former medical student!'

Do you have someone else in mind, other than Thompson, who was as close to a murder site and as credible?
        Author of

Comment

Is Thompson a credible suspect because he was there?
          How's about the man in the next bed at the Refuge, isn't he just as credible?
          Regards, Jon S.

Comment

[/I]

Do you have someone else in mind, other than Thompson, who was as close to a murder site and as credible?
            You'll have to first offer your definition of what "credible" is.

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
              Is Thompson a credible suspect because he was there?
              How's about the man in the next bed at the Refuge, isn't he just as credible?
              Thompson being there is not alone a very strong link to the murders but we would be kidding ourselves to think the man in the next bed, wrote about killing women, was trained in the surgical use of a knife and carried one. I hardly believe you will find this bed-mate, like Thompson, also consorted with prostitutes and held a clear motive kill them. As well as being there, Thompson has the weapon, motive, and ability to be a prime suspect.
              Author of

Comment

You'll have to first offer your definition of what "credible" is.
                As credible as Walsh.
                Author of

Comment

Hi Richard,

I read Shaw's biography, along with those of Meynell and Thomson. And yes I noticed the reference to Providence Row Night Refuge. But something doesn't add up. All of Francis Thompson's usual haunts in 1888 mentioned in those books are west of the City of London, an area he gravitated to originally because of the booksellers. The preacher who ran a mission and took him in was there, the pharmacy where he bought his drugs were there. The prostitute who befriended him lived in Chelsea, even further west. So why would he traipse across town to spend the night at Providence Row?

Roy
                  Sink the Bismark

Comment

As credible as Walsh.
                    So now the credibility of a suspect is down to their biographer?

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Corduroy View Post
                      Hi Richard,

I read Shaw's biography, along with those of Meynell and Thomson. And yes I noticed the reference to Providence Row Night Refuge. But something doesn't add up. All of Francis Thompson's usual haunts in 1888 mentioned in those books are west of the City of London, an area he gravitated to originally because of the booksellers. The preacher who ran a mission and took him in was there, the pharmacy where he bought his drugs were there. The prostitute who befriended him lived in Chelsea, even further west. So why would he traipse across town to spend the night at Providence Row?

Roy
                      Good point Roy. Thompson despised the East End, but it was here in Providence row that he was guaranteed refuge. Providence Row, was one run expressively for Catholics and had very limited beds, (about 30 if I recall think) making entry by just anyone difficult. Even during his most poverty stricken days Thompson was able to seek refuge with people of his faith. Such things as him being a newly published poet and writer in a respectable Catholic magazine, him being an ex-seminary student, and connections he had to priests in London who were friends of the family, would have guaranteed entry to the refuge. If you have read on Thompson you would know how he might feel protected if he sought out this Catholic refuge. The West End is where Jekyll and Hyde was playing at the time, a play about a man with two minds. This was a lot like Thompson who was split between his to the desire of the West End and need to survive. Providence Row was the easiest place that he could find a bed in.
                      Author of

Comment

So now the credibility of a suspect is down to their biographer?
                        No. Thompson's own papers tell that he was in Providence Row. Thompson said so first, and this is what his biographers remark on.
                        Last edited by Richard Patterson; 02-03-2015, 07:11 PM.
                        Author of

Comment

Thompson being there is not alone a very strong link to the murders but we would be kidding ourselves to think the man in the next bed, wrote about killing women, was trained in the surgical use of a knife and carried one. I hardly believe you will find this bed-mate, like Thompson, also consorted with prostitutes and held a clear motive kill them. As well as being there, Thompson has the weapon, motive, and ability to be a prime suspect.
                          Assuming the killer did indeed have medical knowledge.
                          I'm inclined to think he did too, but there are others who disagree.
                          Interestingly, I think it was Fishman in his East End 1888 who mentioned such characters as a doctor or surgeon who had fallen on hard times that found rest in these lodging-houses.
                          These lodgers were not all impoverished, uneducated laborers.
                          Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
                            Assuming the killer did indeed have medical knowledge.
                            I'm inclined to think he did too, but there are others who disagree.
                            Interestingly, I think it was Fishman in his East End 1888 who mentioned such characters as a doctor or surgeon who had fallen on hard times that found rest in these lodging-houses.
                            These lodgers were not all impoverished, uneducated laborers.
                            Thank you. That one of these lodgers, Thompson, was not an uneducated laborer, proves your point. Fishman's opinion is interesting. I shall have another read of his book, when I get the chance. That the killer had medical knowledge was assumed by at least one of the doctors who testified at the inquests. We all agree that the killer knew how to use a knife and remove organs. Thompson had such knowledge. Whether Thompson had medical knowledge is not the main point here, only that he would have been able to make the mutilations. I agree that there would have been a host of others though, apart from Thompson, I can't name anyone else. Who, apart from Thompson lived so close to the victims, fitted the general description of the killer, and could have made these same injuries?
                            Author of

Comment

Map of Whitechapel in Relation to FT and Murders.

Here is a map of Whitechapel. It shows where Francis Thompson was living in 1888. It shows his location in relation to where the 5 canonical Ripper victims where found. The map points to Thompson living less than 100 meters from Mary Kelly. She is widely is accepted as being the Ripper's fifth victim.
                              Author of

Comment

Working...
                              X