Eddowes Scarf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eddowes Scarf

Newspaper reported at Eddowes inquest that Catherine was wearing a Scarf just under the neck below the neck wound, was this scarf the known Apron , as a scarf doesn't appear in the official inventory.

Kelly, her ex partner, stated he also knew her as Eliza Conway, and stated that Eddowes was a Hawker and Cleaning woman to Jewish Homes.

Possible that Eddowes was lightfingered and stole an expensive scarf, ( shawl, table runner) from a Jewish client.

note: An Eliza Conway was charged 1882 with theft of a petticoat from the clothesline in a property at George Lane.

Happy to upload the image but having technical difficulty, plus not sure about article copyright in public domain.

article accessed ia Newspaper Archives it is the 'Cornishman' Tuesday Oct 11 1888. title Inquest on Catherine Eddowes.

The Daily Telegraph, 12 October, 1888. Inquest deposition of PC Hutt:-

‘A Juror: Do you search persons who are brought in for drunkenness? - No, but we take from them anything that might be dangerous. I loosened the things round the deceased's neck, and I then saw a white wrapper and a red silk handkerchief.’

The terms scarf, handkerchief and neckerchief were used interchangeably. Neither would have been described as or confused with a shawl.

Or table runner.

Comment

Originally posted by Garry Wroe View Post

The terms scarf, handkerchief and neckerchief were used interchangeably. Neither would have been described as or confused with a shawl.
      Exactly. These were the same things and I grew up with that same set of words being used interchangeably. I think it had to do with my dad's fondness for westerns.

Mike
      huh?

Comment

red scarves

If I am not mistaken Eddowes, Kelly, and the suspect were all seen with or found with red silk scarves/handkerchief. Could jtr have worn the a scarf while hunting, offered it as a gift, offered to tie it on to see how it looked, and then either used it as a garrott or used the moment to slip another weapon around the neck. could this be a symbolic item?

Comment

Originally posted by SJ76 View Post
          If I am not mistaken Eddowes, Kelly, and the suspect were all seen with or found with red silk scarves/handkerchief. Could jtr have worn the a scarf while hunting, offered it as a gift, offered to tie it on to see how it looked, and then either used it as a garrott or used the moment to slip another weapon around the neck. could this be a symbolic item?
          To which suspect do you refer?
          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Description given by Lawende and attempts to identify suspects

The first publication of the description of the man seen by Lawende was in the Times on 2 October - "of shabby appearance, about 30 years of age and 5ft. 9in. in height, of fair complexion, having a small fair moustache, and wearing a red neckerchief and a cap with a peak".[4

Description given in connection with the Eddowes murder

Comment

Not alluding to any particular suspect, but the reoccurrence of a red silk scarf

Comment

Originally posted by SJ76 View Post
                Not alluding to any particular suspect, but the reoccurrence of a red silk scarf
                G'day SJ76

But you said:

"Eddowes, Kelly, and the suspect were all seen with or found with red silk scarves/handkerchief."

So I repeat which suspect do you mean?
                G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Are the newspapers not known for getting things a bit muddled?
                  The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
                    G'day SJ76

But you said:

"Eddowes, Kelly, and the suspect were all seen with or found with red silk scarves/handkerchief."

So I repeat which suspect do you mean?
                    He already answered that: the man Lawende spotted with Eddowes.

Comment

She was wearing a red gauze silk neckerchief after death.

Comment

The red neckerchief worn by the Lawende suspect was not said to be silk, for obvious reason's. Neither was the red handkerchief offered to Kelly.

The only reason we know Eddowes scarf was made of silk is because it was handled when removed from the body.

No-one was able to touch the other two examples.

So the only common denominator is the colour - red.
                        Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Working...
                        X