Access to Scotland Yard Files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Access to Scotland Yard Files

I would love to know why Scotland Yard are denying access to the JTR files.

They say it would be detrimental to the decedents of informants, but hang on if that's true then they are more or less saying that Hutchinson was not a real informant (after all there are no census records for him), was Hutchinson a pseudonym for someone else?

Who could this have been?

There was a report in one of the newspapers that said, when the press asked a lady (sorry can't remember her name I think it might have been Mrs MCcarthy) weather she saw the perpetrator of MJK's murder, as the suspect could have easily been seen going by the window, the press felt as if the woman had been told not to comment by the police. Why?

I don't believe it was an undercover policeman, otherwise they would have been on police files.

I know the following has been asked before, but worth asking again. There is something suspicious about the fact that there are no known pic's of Abberline. why?
    Last edited by Natasha; 07-03-2014, 02:07 AM.

Best Wishes,
    Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

conflation

Hello Natasha. Is there any possibility that you conflate those files with the Special Branch files, which include informants?

Cheers.
      LC

Comment

Hi Lynn

How do I attach this thread to another thread, I am assuming you mean this

Unfortunately I can not edit anything for some reason

Comment

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
          Is there any possibility that you conflate those files with the Special Branch files, which include informants?

The Met files have been open since the '70s, it is only (I hope!) the Special Branch files that are not open and remain with the Met.

Comment

Originally posted by Natasha View Post
            There is something suspicious about the fact that there are no known pic's of Abberline. why?
            Because nobody has found one yet...

JM
            Last edited by jmenges; 07-03-2014, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
              Hello Natasha. Is there any possibility that you conflate those files with the Special Branch files, which include informants?

Cheers.
              LC
              I see what you mean now

I am such an idiot

Comment

And a Nobody is the most likely candidate for JTR, mmm...

I sense a breakthrough in the case.

MrB.

Comment

techno

Hello Natasha. Thanks.

Sounds like a techo question. So I'm a poor choice there.

And we all make mistakes--don't worry.

Cheers.
                  LC

Comment

yup

Hello Abberline. Thanks.

Quite.

Cheers.
                    LC

Comment

Metropolitan Police and Section D were, and are, two separate entities.

The Met file on the Whitechapel Murders has never been closed, no unsolved cases are, just that they were no open to the public until 75 years after the final entry (in 1896 if memory serves), this to protect the innocent and their families.

Special Branch differs as information in their files relate to national security.

Monty
                      Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

And the Special Branch was not (to my knowledge) actively involved in the Ripper investigations.

Rob H

Comment

I brought up this subject, because Trevor Marriot was looking to gain access to previously unseen paperwork (I'm not entirely sure what heading these files fall under) and was denied on the basis that informants descendents could be targeted etc.

The intrigue surrounding the identity of possible unnamed Ripper candidates within the files made me write this thread.

Does anyone believe Hutchinson was a real informant?

If not who else could it have been?

And if this was a made up entry in Abberlines memoirs etc, what was the purpose of diverting the subject?

What has been missed, what have we overlooked?

Also, I know its been mentioned else where, but what else can we find out about the letter sent to Yarmouth?

I should perhaps write this in another thread, but I am gonna ask here if nobody minds.

Comment

Originally posted by robhouse View Post
                            And the Special Branch was not (to my knowledge) actively involved in the Ripper investigations.

Rob H

Hello Rob,

As there are written annotations beside the heading "Jack the Ripper" in the known snippets we have from the Special Branch Ledgers, which are catalogued both alphabetically and also by date, we cannot assume that Special Branch were NOT actively involved in the investigation at some level.

I also draw your attention to the Littlechild letter, indicating that Special Branch were involved in the hunt for Tumblety, and the added point that there may have been, at some stage, a file on the man. If one is to consider Tumblety as a Jack the Ripper suspect, it isn't necessarily a given that the supposed file on Tumblety in the Special Branch files related to just any Fenian involvement or linkage on his part either.

Phil
                            Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
                            Accountability? ....

Comment

Yes, and who was the Macnaghten Memorandum written for?

Comment

Working...
                              X