Kate's "Nothing"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kate's "Nothing"

Another slice of conjecture here , but I cant help mulling around in the back of my mind, the tentative connection between the GSG "Nothing" and Kate's admission to Police that her name (she) was "Nothing" . I have two trains of thought I would like to run up the mast . The first being , Was Kate was recently in a discussion where it was bestowed upon her in no uncertain terms that she was indeed "Nothing" ( What else would drive an individual to exclaim that they are nothing ? )

Also, is there a remote possibility that her Killer was part of the crowd around her, and heard her reply to PC Robinson ? ( I know that every report we have suggests that Kate was only asked her name at the station ) But what if she also mumbled the same answer "Nothing" whilst PC Robinson was trying to get through to her on the street ?
    Could it be, the Killer targeted Kate from that moment on as his next victim? ( Not a Stride advocate )

So onto the GSG . Was the killer a little aggrieved at the press suggestion that the killer was possibly Jewish , was he telling them as much .. A Jew did not kill the woman named 'Nothing" Did he wait for Kate to be released from custody solely to rub Police noses in it ?

I know there are an awful lot of could's would's and maybe's here .. but one final note , if all the above is a remote possibility , then it is also possible that Kate's killer wrote the GSG on his way to pick her up from Bishopsgate station! Knowing full well that by simply casting a piece of Kate's bloodied apron into the appropriate doorway once he has killed her , he would be creating a perfect storm ...

cheers all

moonbegger

G'Day Moonbegger

All round not a bad theory.

Another slice of conjecture here , but I cant help mulling around in the back of my mind, the tentative connection between the GSG "Nothing" and Kate's admission to Police that her name (she) was "Nothing" . I have two trains of thought I would like to run up the mast . The first being , Was Kate was recently in a discussion where it was bestowed upon her in no uncertain terms that she was indeed "Nothing" ( What else would drive an individual to exclaim that they are nothing ? )
    One thing we disagree on is the meaning here. The reports say that when asked her name she said Nothing, I take it to mean that she actually spoke the word "Nothing". However I would not rule out the interpretation that she gave no reply.

Even if she articulated the word "NOTHING" I think it's going to far to say that she thought that she was nothing, as reasonable an explanation is that she was effectively saying "I'm not telling you".

I know there are an awful lot of could's would's and maybe's here .. but one final note , if all the above is a remote possibility , then it is also possible that Kate's killer wrote the GSG on his way to pick her up from Bishopsgate station! Knowing full well that by simply casting a piece of Kate's bloodied apron into the appropriate doorway once he has killed her , he would be creating a perfect storm ...

But would he take the chance that it would still be there some considerable time later.

It could easily have been erased, either deliberately by a resident who saw it, or simply by someone brushing against it on the way in or out of the doorway, after all doesn't one detective report that t was blurred, or words to that effect?
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Hello Gut ,

Even if she articulated the word "NOTHING" I think it's going to far to say that she thought that she was nothing, as reasonable an explanation is that she was effectively saying "I'm not telling you".
      Yes of course , there is always that possibility Gut .. but for me it sounds like she is simply repeating something that has been drummed into her .. "When asked her name she replied "Nothing"

One thing we disagree on is the meaning here. The reports say that when asked her name she said Nothing, I take it to mean that she actually spoke the word "Nothing". However I would not rule out the interpretation that she gave no reply.
      Daily news 12th oct

I turned to the crowd and asked if there was any one there that knew her, or knew where she lived, and I got no answer. I then picked her up and carried her to the side by the shutter. I set her up, and leaned her against the shutter, but she fell sideways down again. I did not do any more until I got the assistance of another police constable, and we took her to the police station. When she got to the station we asked her her name, and she replied, "Nothing." We then took her and put her in the cell.
      The Thing to note is " I got no answer " from the crowd, and " she replied " Nothing" I think this report from the Daily News 12th oct , clears up the confusion .

But would he take the chance that it would still be there some considerable time later.
      could be as little as 45 mins before .

cheers

moonbegger
      Last edited by moonbegger; 02-24-2014, 05:26 PM.

Comment

The use of the words "Jewes" and "nothing" in the GSG was at one time suggested to refer to the City Police station at Old Jewry, and Catherine Eddowes claim to be called 'nothing'.
        In other words, the City police will not accept responsibility for the death of Catherine Eddowes.

It was proposed to be more humorous than anything else.
        Last edited by Wickerman; 02-24-2014, 06:03 PM.
        Regards, Jon S.

Comment

G'Day Jon

The use of the words "Jewes" and "nothing" in the GSG was at one time suggested to refer to the City Police station at Old Jewry, and Catherine Eddowes claim to be called 'nothing'.
          In other words, the City police will not accept responsibility for the death of Catherine Eddowes.
          Wish I'd come up with it.

Not as weird as some suggestions I've read re Jacky.
          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post

Yes , this is still , by far , and most logically, my favorite explanation for the GSG .. but it is always good to look at other alternatives as well ..

moonbegger

Comment

G'Day Moonbegger

The Thing to note is " I got no answer " from the crowd, and " she replied " Nothing" I think this report from the Daily News 12th oct , clears up the confusion .
              I actually agree, I was simply pointing out that others place a different interpretation on it.
              G U T

Comment

Originally posted by moonbegger View Post

cheers all

moonbegger
                I've also considered the possibility the GSG was written before the Eddowes murder and he later came back and "signed" it with a piece of her apron. Although in my thinking it was written out of frustration at being interrupted with Stride.

Comment

I created a thread about this many years ago. Not sure if it's still up here or not. But I think it's very unlikely to be reality. I might use it in a fiction piece at some point though.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

G'Day Tom

But I think it's very unlikely to be reality
                    What do you find highly unlikely, the "Nothing" The interpretation of the writing or the writing before hand and dropping the apron later, all three or some combination thereof?
                    G U T

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
                      G'Day Tom

What do you find highly unlikely, the "Nothing" The interpretation of the writing or the writing before hand and dropping the apron later, all three or some combination thereof?
                      I do believe the Ripper wrote the graffiti, but I think it unlikely that 'nothing' referred to Eddowes.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescot

Comment

G'Day Tom

I do believe the Ripper wrote the graffiti,
                        Maybe

but I think it unlikely that 'nothing' referred to Eddowes.

I agree.
                        G U T

Comment

Originally posted by Barnaby View Post
                          I've also considered the possibility the GSG was written before the Eddowes murder and he later came back and "signed" it with a piece of her apron. Although in my thinking it was written out of frustration at being interrupted with Stride.
                          Hello Barnaby ,

Do you think he would have enough time to get up to Goulston street , find Kate , then get back to Mitre Sq ?

moonbegger

Comment

Yes. Goulston Street is on the way from Berner Street to Mitre Square. I suspect one way or another he stumbled upon Eddowes and it really doesn't take but a few moments to make a deal, so to speak. Of course, afterward he'd have plenty of time to get back to the GSG to drop off the apron. I doubt he'd go back in that direction simply to make a statement; so if he did this, he probably also lived in this area and killed two birds with one stone, in more ways than one.
                            Last edited by Barnaby; 02-25-2014, 11:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnaby View Post
                              Yes. Goulston Street is on the way from Berner Street to Mitre Square. I suspect one way or another he stumbled upon Eddowes and it really doesn't take but a few moments to make a deal, so to speak. Of course, afterward he'd have plenty of time to get back to the GSG to drop off the apron. I doubt he'd go back in that direction simply to make a statement; so if he did this, he probably also lived in this area and killed two birds with one stone, in more ways than one.
                              How is Goulston Square on the way from Berner St? Using Occam's razor, the simplest way to Mitre Square from Berner St is Commercial Rd and turn into Whitechapel Rd (High St) which becomes Aldgate Street.

Comment

Working...
                              X