Career of Dr. William Druitt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Career of Dr. William Druitt

It appears that there is not a lot of research into the career of Montague's father, Dr. William Druitt.

While it is known that he was a prominent surgeon, I did not realize that he was a member of the Obstetrical Society of London, as was his brother Robert, Montie's uncle, both elected in 1859. If William specialized in obstetrics, what are in the implications of young Montague, who would have been aged 2 in 1859, being constantly exposed to such an environment, especially in light of the nature of the Whitechapel slayings?

Lest we think they were mere "honorary members," both are listed as "Referees of Papers" in 1866 & 1871, implying that they must have been practicing in that field.
    Last edited by aspallek; 05-24-2008, 07:52 PM.

I am not sure which "Dr. Druitt" is referred to here. If I had to guess, I'd say Robert since the writers apprear to be London-based. From a paper entitled (forgive me), "Air in the Vagina" by Adolph Rasch, M.D. in Transactions of the Obstetrical Society of London (1871):

"Dr. Druitt related on the same occasion a similar case and
    attributed the want of sexual feeling and discharge of air to
    relaxation. " Air would readily enter a relaxed vagina in
    large quantities, for example, when a woman was placed on
    her hands and knees for examination." Dr. Druitt does not
    explain what causes the air to enter."

Obviously, this Dr. Druitt was practicing obstetrics. A rather curious posture for examination.

Comment

Originally posted by aspallek View Post
      It appears that there is not a lot of research into the career of Montague's father, Dr. William Druitt.

While it is known that he was a prominent surgeon, I did not realize that he was a member of the Obstetrical Society of London, as was his brother Robert, Montie's uncle, both elected in 1859. If William specialized in obstetrics, what are in the implications of young Montague, who would have been aged 2 in 1859, being constantly exposed to such an environment, especially in light of the nature of the Whitechapel slayings?

Lest we think they were mere "honorary members," both are listed as "Referees of Papers" in 1866, implying that they must have been practicing in that field.
      Monty would not have been' exposed' to anything.As a baby he would have been with his nurse or mother, then prep school and public school. Victorian professional men stayed out of the nursery, and had little contact with their children Bringing up children was women's work. Druitt's professional life was separate. What are you suggesting? That he dragged poor Monty round hospitals to watch women being operated on? William being a member of the obstetrics society is irrelevant. The typical upbringing of an upperclass boy involved a distancing from his parents.
      Miss Marple

Comment

Again, if I had to guess I would say this is a refernce to Robert Druitt since the writer is London-based. Same source as above. Author is Alfred Wiltshire, M.D.

"I am indebted for the patient to Dr. Druitt, who kindly
        sent her to me before he left town for his trip to the Continent
        in the spring of the present year (1870). Dr. Druitt
        also kindly gave me an account of the case, and I had the
        advantage of his great experience and skill up to the time
        he left for the Continent.
        Dr. Druitt' s account was substantially as follows : — A
        Mrs. G — , aet. 35, whom he had from time to time attended,
        consulted him about a tumour which was growing in her
        abdomen. Dr. Druitt ascertained that there was a tumour
        apparently springing from the right ilium, which projected
        into the abdominal cavity. It was so hard that he regarded it as enchondromatous. Mrs. G — was also pregnant,
        and she believed herself to be nearly seven months
        gone.
        Dr. Druitt suggested that probably it would be well to
        induce labour at the seventh month, so as to avoid any
        interference on the part of the tumour with the descent of
        the child, which he thought might at full term be so large
        as to increase the difficulty and danger of delivery ; but with
        characteristic kindness and consideration he was so good as
        to say he would leave the decision as to the course to be
        adopted entirely to myself. Dr. Druitt mentioned that he had
        found a somewhat curious condition of the cervix uteri when
        he examined his patient : it was elongated, of small
        diameter, flexible, like that of an empty uterus, not in the
        condition therefore to be expected for a woman so far
        advanced in pregnancy as Mrs. G — was supposed to be, viz.,
        about seven months. There appeared in fact to be a little
        doubt as to whether or no the patient was actually pregnant
        at the time of his first examination. Having learnt the
        foregoing facts, I visited Mrs. G — on the 19th of February,
        and noted the following condition. Mrs. G — is an
        unusually healthy and vigorous-looking woman ; her general
        health is as it has always been, very good. She is ruddy
        and well nourished. She looks about seven months gone
        with child."

Comment

Originally posted by miss marple View Post
          Monty would not have been' exposed' to anything.As a baby he would have been with his nurse or mother, then prep school and public school. Victorian professional men stayed out of the nursery, and had little contact with their children Bringing up children was women's work. Druitt's professional life was separate. What are you suggesting? That he dragged poor Monty round hospitals to watch women being operated on? William being a member of the obstetrics society is irrelevant. The typical upbringing of an upperclass boy involved a distancing from his parents.
          Miss Marple
          Cool your jets, Miss Marple. I'm not "suggesting" anything sinister. But it is an interesting twist that Montie's father appears to have practiced obstetric surgery and that the WC murders included some obstetric butchery. Surely, Dr. D would have had books, notes, and papers about the house, the very house in which Montie grew up and even "entertained" and tutored his lady cousins.

It doesn't prove or even suggest anything. It is merely of interest.

Comment

The "Dr. Druitt" cited in this excerpt would be William Druitt. Reynolds Newspaper 17 December 1871 from letter "The Landlord's Sin of Overcrowding":

This does show William's professional concern for overcrowding conditions, even if not specifically in the East End. It is not too hard to imagine Montague picking up such a concern and being drown while at Oxford to the efforts in the East End such as Toynbee Hall and the People's Palace.

Comment

Hi Andy.
              I agree with you over both the issues you have raised above.
              The first one that Miss Marple took issue with seems quite reasonable to me, although I do agree with her about the upper classes distancing themselves from their off-spring from the age of about eight.
              However,this would have been a household where patients would have come for examination,probably with its own surgery and Monty would have been unusual not to be curious about what his dad was doing with his lady patients in a room full of "secret goings on" with the screens in operation and curtains being drawn.Most children are curious about things like this.He may even have been a "peeping Tom" and might have been slightly traumatised at the sight of some of these goings on if he had been peeping.I think its a very good discovery you have made myself.
              The second point,though on a totally different subject is also important.If Monty came from a liberal sort of background,he is likely to have been interested in the development of the University settlements that were growing up a mile and a half from his chambers.
              Best
              Norma

Comment

Norma, what you say is perfectly true. Yes, I do realize the degree of distance between father and child in Victorian times. However, there was not only the temptation to be a curious "Peeping Tom," there also would have been books replete with diagrams and drawings of female genitalia as well as his father's own notes. It might not have been easy for Montie to get his hands on them but as any boy in the beginning stages of adolescence, he would have been keen to take a look and he would have been aroused by such images. It is reasonable to assume that the servants and his mother could keep a close guard on Father's study at all times.

Comment

After looking through some other documents, I now believe it was likely Robert Druitt who was referred to in the Reynolds Newspaper excerpt above. However, William also held positions in public health.

Comment

Again, I believe this is Robert Druitt expounding on the problem of prostitution. I had intended this to be a thread about William Druitt but it appears his older brother was quite a bit more famous.

From the Australian Medical Gazette (1870):
                    Attached Files

Comment

Hello Andy, Norma and All,
                      I am not sure I agree Montague Druitt would have discovered too much by being the son of a medical man who practised obstetrics.
                      Sure, I understand what Andy is trying to say about Montague's natural adolescent curiosity, but I also agree with Miss Marples, that Monty would have been absent a good deal of the time, as was the way in the middle class family of the LVP.
                      But, Andy, I think you are making some significant finds. I am convinced the Dr Druitt referred to was definitely Dr Robert Druitt.Because, along the way I have seen reference ( can't remember where, sorry) to Dr Robert being involved in changes to the Santation Regulations for the East End of London.
                      Have you consulted the medical journal Dr Robert edited?
                      It was called " The Medical Times & Gazette ".
                      Personally, thinking again how all this affected Montague, it is possible he may have read his prominent uncle's views on the way to reduce prostitution,
                      and, may have (later) encountered real prostitutes if he did indeed get involved in Tyonbee Hall or the People's Palace. JOHN RUFFELS.

Comment

Hi Andy,John and Miss Marple,
                        This last one which you say is Robert Druitt,Andy,is a great find.The Druitt brothers/cousins whichever ,appear to have been concerned about Prostitution and although they clearly recognised that STD"s were a very serious issue in this regard,Robert suggests they tackle it from the point of view of lewd behaviour,presumably in the streets.
                        I agree as I said previously with Miss Marple and John, about the sons of the upper middle classes being parted from their families ----during term time from the age of 8,but I believe they would have been at home together the Druitt family, children too,from birth to 8 years.
                        That said,the commonest game children play from the age of five to about eight years is "doctors".Now if Monty was watching and listening to Dr Druitt,and Dr Druitt was investigating his women patients with regards to the health of their wombs and other reproductive organs,he may well have not only had his pretend stethoscope and thermometer to play his childhood doctor games,but also have introduced a pretend speculum or two-----its not beyond the realm of possibility!
                        Mrs Druitt may also have played her part here,discouraging enquiry perhaps, which often stimulates curiosity rather than quells it.Monty may even have been a child who was a bit overattached to his mother,his suicide note indicated her mental health had profoundly affected him.He may have been tied to her " apron strings".... lending yet another possible interpretation to the cutting ofthose apron strings in Mitre Square----!

Comment

Self correction.If Monty"s dad was a surgeon ,he was Mr Druitt,not Dr Druitt.I knew that but wanted to emphasise the "Doctor in the House" /"Carry on Doctor" angle!

Comment

Yes, John, you are correct in that it is Robert Druitt. However, both Robert and William were active members of the obstetrics society. We also know that Montie had a cordial relationship with his Uncle Robert. I am going to move the discussion of Robert Druitt's views on prostitution to a separate thread because I am finding more material.

I guess I take a differing view in that I still believe Montie's normal adolescent curiosity could easily have gotten the better of him and he could have sneaked into Father's study to have a peek at the books and notes there. Perhaps even Father had a habit of leaving them about the house. But I do agree there is no evidence that this took place.
                            Last edited by aspallek; 05-26-2008, 02:06 AM.

Comment

William Druitt also held a position in public health as can be seen by this from The Sanitary Record: A Journal of Public Health (1875):
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X