Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Ripper Books, Serious about this, folks

Several questions:

1) Does anyone know how many books there are on Jack the Ripper case. and do you have a list? On this one you can PM me, rather than take up space, if you wish.

2) Which books does everyone think are absolutely essential to the study of the JtR case, regardless of which suspect the author favors?

3) Are there essential web sites other than here on casebook that provide information that one might need in researching the JtR case?

Thank you

God Bless

Darkendale
    And the questions always linger, no real answer in sight

It's on this site. Everything you ever need is here.

Mike
    huh?

Comment

Actually to be perfectly honest, that's a bit out of date. Most recent books have not been reviewed for a couple of years. Stephen got busy what with earning a living, working 18 hour days and he's a slow reader so he stopped reviewing and couldn't find anyone to take it up and do neutral reviews. A shame. Maybe I'll do a massive read and review and get it caught up. Maybe that should be a new thread, what books need reviews that aren't on there?

Let all Oz be agreed;
      I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

ultimately speaking

Hello Raven. Regarding #2, I personally can't do "Jack" without "The Ultimate."

Cheers.
        LC

Comment

Dale

I don't know how well you'll respond to a suggestion from me. But here goes:

I think the readig list/bibliography of JtR now falls into two distinct parts:

a) reference materials:

Under this I'd cite
          * The Ultimate Source Book - all the Home Office & Met Police files in one place
          * Letters from Hell - th correspondence (less essential but reliable)
          * JtR: Scotland Yard Investigates - police focused
          * Latest edition of the A-Z
          * JtR: CSI Whitechapel (Begg & Bennett)
          plus, Sugden, Begg and Rumbelow (latest edition);
          * JtR: The Making of the Myth (Bennett)
          * The JtR Location Photographs (Hutchinson)
          * The London of JtR Then and Now (Clack & Hutcinson)

b) suspect based:
          * JtR: First American Serial Killer (Tumblety - source based);
          * JtR: and the Case for Scotland Yard's Prime Suspect (House)

c) and in addition, my personal recommendations (for context and other):

* By Ear and Eyes (Karyo Magellan)
          * Will the Real Mary Kelly...? (Scott)
          * East End 1888 (Fishman)
          * The Blackest Streets (Sarah Wise)
          * The Worst Street in London (Fiona Rule)
          * 1888 - London Murders in Year of jtR (Stubley)

If you have specifc interests let me know.

Phil

Oh: edited to add The Mammoth Book of JtR. Lots of great essays and useful material.
          Last edited by Phil H; 08-01-2013, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Hello Dale

I can confirm Phil's given you a pretty fair and all-round selection as a starting point. I think you got the Sugden eventually didn't you?

All the best

Dave

Comment

Ripperology by Odell is one of my favorite JtR books.

JM

Comment

Hi Raven

If there is one book that's absolutely essential, it's the Sourcebook.

Comment

I agree, but I think you need a good narrative to go with it - Sugden would be my prime recommendation - so that one gets a feel for the flavour of the case and the historiography, suspects etc..

Comment

Always enjoyed Paul Begg, The Facts, more than any other - except the Sourcebook, of course.

Comment

Two of the best on this subject:

As a primary source:

'Days of My Years' by Sir Melville Macnaghten, 1914.

As a secondary source:

'The Lodger: The Arrest and Escape of Jack the Ripper', 1995, by Stweart P Evans and Paul Gainey

Comment

Thanks all.

The Good Michael: I like to have the books, I guess I am old fashioned that way. Nothing like a pile of books with bookmarks marking salient points.

Ally: Yes, that's why I was asking. A lot of new books are coming out, and I can't possibly buy them all.

lynn cates: I have that one in my truck. I read it whenever I get a moment like waiting on my mom to shop.

Phil, I have no problems with you. Your input is always welcome. I have a number of the ones you mention. The A-Z I think is one of the best. And I do have I have Sugden

Cogidubnus: indeed i did get it!

jmenges I haven't seen that one. Is it new or has it been out for a time?

Robert: I had one on order but they canceled due to the book selling. I think sometimes used bookstores take your order but if a customers comes in with cash on hand, they take it!

DVV I have Paul Begg of course

Jonathan H: Haven't seen the first one, the second one I have.

God Bless

Darkendale

Comment

'The Lodger: The Arrest and Escape of Jack the Ripper', 1995, by Stweart P Evans and Paul Gainey

I think Jonathan's suggestion is my

JtR: First American Serial Killer in disguise. The version I was looking at was the 1996 p/b.

Just in case of confusion.

Thank you for your kind comment, Dale

Phil

Comment

Hi Raven

They have some on here :

Not sure if the book has been revised since first published.

Comment

Thanks, Robert. Actually in rechecking my true crime bookshelf I found the book nestling comfortably among the other JtR volumes. Over the hill and becoming forgetful, that's me at 53!

Comment

Working...
                              X