• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pic of Emil Totterman

Deseret Evening News
    26 January 1904
    Attached Files

I would like to learn a lot more about this character. He certainly sounds an interesting suspect to look into some more. It's a pity we can't pinpoint his whereabouts at the time of the Whitechapel murders.
    Best regards,
    Adam

"They assumed Kelly was the last... they assumed wrong" - Me

Comment

Totterman was thirteen to fifteen years old in 1888. It is highly unlikely that he was the Ripper.

Wolf.

Comment

He looks in his forties in the picture above and that was in 1904. I honestly didn't know he was in his teens in 1888 because I read his suspect page in Chris Morley's E-book which says he was about 20 at the time. Thanks for clearing that up Wolf, it will save me going through the research into the guy! Lol
        Best regards,
        Adam

"They assumed Kelly was the last... they assumed wrong" - Me

Comment

The above drawing of Totterman isn't a very good one. In the actual photograph, on which it is based, he looks younger. James Kelly, the proprietor of the hotel where Sarah Martin was killed, stated that the man, Totterman, looked to be about thirty years old. News reports stated that he was between thirty and thirty-five while one newspaper, the New York Times, 28 February, 1904, reported that Totterman said that his age was forty-one. this appears to have been a typo as official reports state that Totterman was twenty-nine in 1904.

Wolf.

Comment

This double photo of Totterman was published on 21 Dec 1903:
            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
            X