Tussaud claim - death masks of JTR victims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tussaud claim - death masks of JTR victims

I found this article today which contains the most extraordinary claim that one of the Tussaud family of waxworks fame - Louis Tussaud - accompanied detectives around Whitechapel and took casts of the victims.
    Chris

New York Sun
    16 January 1910

From an article entitled
    Latest Achievement of the Tussauds in London
    about Louis Tussaud

Mr. Tussaud is full of interesting stories concerning Madame Tussaud's Waxworks and his own connection therewith.
    "There are many collections in the establishment that the average visitor never sees; for example, the knives with which people have been killed, the pillows on which they have slept the sleep of death, bits of hangmen's ropes and other gruesome material. The trouble and expense of acquiring these articles have been great, requiring patience in unearthing them, skill in determining their authenticity, and money to back endeavor.
    "For ten years I was connected with Scotland Yard, and before the Bertillon system was established I copied the heads and hands of criminals. Once I was nearly stabbed to death in the cell of a notorious thief who had concealed a weapon and resisted my artistic endeavors. Possibly he did not approve of the likeness. At any rate his criticism was emphatic if not kindly.
    "You probably do not remember the Carroll murder, which a number of years
    ago created a great excitement in England. I made a wax figure of Carroll from the only photograph which we could find in existence, and this was placed in the Chamber of Horrors. It was by means of this that the criminal was arrested, a woman who had been to Mme. Tussaud's recognizing him and putting the police officers on his trail. I received for this work a compliment from the Judge on the bench, who called the attention of the officials to the help my figure had been in running the murderer to earth.
    "I trailed about with the Scotland Yard detectives for many months among the dens of Whitechapel and the worse slums of London, trying to run the famous Jack the Ripper to earth. The adventures of that time would fill a volume by themselves. I succeeded in getting casts and masks of his victims, but the murderer himself eluded our vigilance and I never had the pleasure - shall I say so? - of a vis a vis with him. The most satisfactory account of his absence was the explanation that he had gone to America. I may find him yet."

Here is the section in question
    Attached Files

Comment

A most interesting discovery, Chris! I wonder if by any chance Tussaud's have anything in their files about the casts and masks said to have been taken of the victims, and of what became of them?

Chris
      Christopher T. George
      Editor, Ripperologist
      http://www.ripperologist.biz
      http://chrisgeorge.netpublish.net

Comment

Very good suggestion Chris
        I will contact and see what archives they have etc
        Chris

Comment

Hello you all!

Sounds gruesome!

But on the other hand;

finding a cast and mask of MJK could help to get in touch with her facial features, and one piece of speculation could come to an end.

Or could it?!

All the best
          Jukka
          "When I know all about everything, I am old. And it's a very, very long way to go!"

Comment

Actually there is a still a separate waxworks in Blackpool under the name of Louis Tussaud as per

I'll try them first

Comment

I'm at a loss to see how one could make a decent wax death mask of Kelly, or even Eddowes, but what do I know about making death masks anyhow?

Comment

In the article Tussaud claims he made masks and "casts"
                Any ideas what this might refer to?

Comment

Hi Chris,
                  Originally posted by Chris Scott View Post
                  In the article Tussaud claims he made masks and "casts"
                  Any ideas what this might refer to?
                  I'd guess that casts were solid and three-dimensional replicas made by pouring wax into an enclosed mould - in much the same way that bronze casts are made.
                  Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Hopefully if there were such casts they still exist (they have some of the items connected to the murder of Phoebe Hogg by Mary Pearcey that are sometimes still displayed, including a death cast of the baby of poor Mrs. Hogg who was also killed.

But keep this in mind. In 1925 or so Tussaud's had a disaster - they had a major fire in the museum, and many items were lost (particular as many were made out of wax). Among other non-wax items, Tussaud's happened to get the carriage used by Emperor Napoleon I in trying to flee Europe after the defeat at Waterloo. It was the vehicle he was captured in in 1815. They displayed this proudly for over a century. After the fire only an axle of the carriage survived.

Best wishes,

Jeff

Comment

Guys,

Tussuads claimed to have the 'Dear Boss' letter but it turned out to be a copy.

Monty
                      Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Guys,

Interesting Andy Ailiffe dissertation Jack n wax.

Monty
                        Monty

Comment

I remember visiting the Louis Tussauds Wax Museum in Blackpool and venturing into the "Dungeons" there.
                          They had several notable horror icons, a car crash, a woman being chopped up in the bath and a "Jack the Ripper" display. I remember the Ripper being stood over his victim, whilst looking towards the path which takes you around the place. The funny thing is, he had his gladstone bag, cape and top hat!!

We visited again last year, but there is no sign of "Jack" and the place is full of movie related set pieces!
                          Regards Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Monty View Post
                            Guys,

Tussuads claimed to have the 'Dear Boss' letter but it...
                            ...turned out to be a wicked rumour

Wax, wick, "wick-ed" - see?

I'll get me coat.
                            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Yes Gareth...and dont return.

Monty
                              Monty

Comment

Working...
                              X