Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Would SY have let Dr T Escape?

Greetings all,

I would like to address an issue some have, which causes doubt that Scotland Yard considered Francis Tumblety anything more than a minimal Ripper suspect:

“If Scotland Yard really considered Francis Tumblety a serious Ripper suspect, then why would they have let him sneak out of the country? Surely if they thought Tumblety was Jack the Ripper as Tumblety enthusiasts claim, they would have either had him incarcerated or at least have had multiple detectives watching his every move.”

First, there needs to be some clarification. When did Tumblety enthusiasts ever claim that Scotland Yard was so convinced that Francis Tumblety was Jack the Ripper that they stopped the entire investigation and put all of their financial and personnel resources on Francis Tumblety, and then contacted the Queen and told her they have their man? I went to the extreme not to ridicule but to make a point. No one witnessed the actual murders, so why would they have been 100% confident about anyone? Tumblety fell in their lap in early November 1888 and red flags went up. Even though there has been a suggestion that Scotland Yard arrested Tumblety directly because of a Ripper investigation on him or even a gross indecency investigation, the facts do not support this. According to primary sources, he was arrested on the streets for suspicious behavior like dozens of other characters, but when they had him and because of the contents in the ‘large dossier concerning him at Scotland Yard’ (Littlechild), they realized this man should be taken seriously. The fact that Assistant Commissioner Anderson PERSONALLY contacted US chiefs of police -at that very time- for information on Tumblety, specific to the Ripper investigation, confirms their higher level of interest in him,

“…the London Police are evidently doing their level best to fasten the Whitechapel murders upon Dr. F. T. Tumblety.” Today Police Superintendent Campbell received a telegram from Assistant Police Commissioner Anderson, acting Chief since the resignation of Police Commissioner Warren, in reference to Tumblety. Mr. Anderson wants some information as to his life in Brooklyn, and says he is accused of indecent assault in London, where some say he was known as “Brooklyn’s Beauty.” (Brooklyn Standard-Union, November 23, 1888)

Note that this Anderson cable was sent two days prior to Tumblety being safely onboard the transatlantic vessel, La Bretagne, on his way to New York from Le Havre, France.

So, why didn’t they incarcerate him AS A RIPPER SUSPECT if he was such a hot suspect? Since no one saw the murderer in the act of killing, then it’s logical to assume that they were not ready to take Tumblety to court FOR THE MURDERS. Would Assistant Commissioner Anderson have had the wealthy, upper class American, Francis Tumblety, illegally incarcerated? Did Anderson have enough control over the courts to violate British law? Would Tumblety have hired legal assistance like he always had in the past?

…or Anderson and company decided to LEGALLY incarcerate Tumblety with the use of gross indecency and indecent assault, a winnable case. According to primary sources, such as the Brooklyn Standard-Union article above and the Old Bailey Court Calendar records, this is exactly what happened.

“But weren’t they watching his every move after he posted bail for gross indecency and indecent assault?” By November 1888, the Ripper investigation was working in overdrive, stretching out their resources to the breaking point. According to Don Rumbelow, each detective still had at least thirty cases they were working on at any moment, other than the Ripper investigation. They couldn’t just drop everything for the Ripper investigation, especially since the month of October saw no Ripper killings and they didn’t know if and when there was going to be another killing. How many detectives could they afford to put on Francis Tumblety and still investigate, especially when Kelly was just murdered?

Sneaking out of the country, Tumblety certainly did. The usual port of departure from England to New York was on the west coast of England; Liverpool. We know Tumblety used this port, because he use to work out of Liverpool and he even had a sister who lived in Liverpool. Inspector Andrews used this port when he left on the SS Sarnia to Canada around the same time Tumblety left. If Scotland Yard was worried about Tumblety leaving the country, they clearly would have, first, had men following him, and second, had men watching the port in Liverpool. So, what did Tumblety do? He escaped the back way to France, the same way Irish Nationalists took when they were escaping the grip of Scotland Yard. Is this a coincidence when we have primary sources connecting Tumblety to Irish Nationalists? Remember, two unknown London acquaintances bailed him out on November 16, 1888. All he had to do was elude a couple of detectives at his many haunts. Keep in mind; this was a wealthy man, who had a three-decade history of sneaking out of town and country when things got hot. This would have been even easier to do if those two unknown men gave him assistance.

“I agree that he escaped from England but not because he was a Ripper suspect, but because he was about to go to prison for a couple of years for gross indecency. Since Scotland Yard was not concerned about such a small case, then they would not have invested energy to ensure he did not escape.”

The first part of this I agree with. Tumblety was running from a two-year prison sentence, and not for knowing Scotland Yard suspected him of being the Ripper. Primary sources show that he hated being incarcerated. The problem with the second part is that we know he was suspected of being the killer, not just from a lowly detective crew located in Whitechapel, but from the highest positions in Scotland Yard, Assistant Commissioner Anderson (something even Chief Inspector Littlechild corroborated). Just think, the Assistant Commissioner himself took the time to contact US chiefs of police about Ripper suspect Tumblety at the peak of the murder investigation.

Sincerely,
    Mike
    The Ripper's Haunts/JtR Suspect Dr. Francis Tumblety (Sunbury Press)
    http://www.michaelLhawley.com

Hi Mike,

I have to admit that Doc Tumblety has not been one of the more interesting Ripper Suspects to me (I think Montie Druitt is far more interesting, though I'm still not convinced he should be a suspect). I'm curious about Tumblety because he (oddly enough) links two of the most interesting murder cases of the 19th Century together: Lincoln's Assassination (again as a potential conspirator with Booth, via Davey Herold) and the Whitechapel Case.

But thinking it over your question is a good one. Anderson does point (years later) at the doctor, and the timing of the inquiries is at the point of the last of the so-called Canonical Five murders (which by leaving England Tumblety would conveniently be unavailable to continue if he was the Ripper).

My guess is Anderson somehow zeroed in on the doctor when the latter was arrested for his gross indecency and indecent assault. The name of the doctor may have rang some bell to Anderson (remember he had been in charge of counter-terrorist police activities in Ireland) as an American with pro-Fenian sympathies. He may have looked more deeply into the matter, and realized that the doctor might answer some questions regarding how far he was antagonistic to prostitutes, and where was he on the nights of the five killings. But first he would have to get some answers about the doctor's history with the American police - hence the telegrams.

Anderson was probably not aware that the bail would be paid, nor the bird might escape the net. But then again there are some interesting, non-Ripper related incidents to recall.

June 1881 - Percy Lefroy Mapleton is accompanied by one Detective George Holmes (of the Railroad Police) to his home after leaving Brighton. While waiting outside for Mapleton to get cleaned up (knowing he is wanted for further questioning) Holmes does not post anyone outside the back where there is a door. Mapleton flees, and is at large for nearly three weeks before being captured (later tried for the murder of Frederick Gold, convicted, and hanged).

1889- The investigation into the "Cleveland Street" Affair turns out to include several members of exalted circles in British Society. One, Lord Arthur Somerset, manages to flee to France and spends the rest of his life there.

1895 - After losing his libel suit against the Marquis of Queensbury (and revealing that he is a homosexual), Oscar Wilde had nearly ten hours of freedom before a warrant for his arrest leads to his actual arrest. It appears that the Home Secretary (Herbert Asquith) and Prime Minister Lord Rosebery hoped Wilde would flee England. Instead he was talked out of it by his lover Lord Alfred Douglas.

1908 - The investigation into the theft of the Irish Crown Jewels (which have never been found) founders when it is discovered that the leading suspects may have been part of a homosexual circle including some members connected to the Royal Family.

Except for the first example (thrown in to show police can bungle things) the other three examples all deal with homosexuality (which Tumblety may have practiced). Those two friends whose names were not given who gave the bail may have been high ranking social figures - perhaps the sort who even prowled around London's East End with the Doctor. And they may have abetted his escape.

Leaving Anderson probably rather bitter - knowing a possible suspect was allowed to slip away.

Anyway, that is what might have happened.

Jeff

Comment

There is always the possibility that while Littlechild considered him a strong suspect, the main drivers - Anderson and Swanson - never did. I know there was said to be a large file, but MM for one appears to have been ignorant of Dr T.

Phil

Comment

Hi Jeff,

I always enjoy the depth of your posts. The Lincoln assassination connection certainly is intriguing. There are numerous connections between Tumblety and the theater, and it makes me wonder if he met booth.

I agree that Anderson may have heard of Tumblety before, especially when Chief Inspector Littlechild recalled Tumblety's file decades later. With respect to when Anderson got wind of Tumblety, before or after the gross indecency case, with the Whitechapel issue from the East End and the gross indecency issue from the West End, I see someone at Headquarters making the connection. That certainly doesn't have to be Anderson. Andrews?

Last year, I was looking into the homosexual subculture of England, specifically London, and how curious that the Cleveland Street scandal was the following year, involving Abberline, and then the Oscar Wilde case involved Littlechild. I love your thoughts on the possibility of the two bailers being part of this world. Time for more digging!

Sincerely,
        Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Phil H View Post
          There is always the possibility that while Littlechild considered him a strong suspect, the main drivers - Anderson and Swanson - never did. I know there was said to be a large file, but MM for one appears to have been ignorant of Dr T.

Phil
          Hi Phil,

We can't make that conclusion merely because they did not mention it later. Remember, the reason Tumblety went off Anderson and company's radar screen was the MacKenzie murder. Tumblety was hanging in New York City less than a mile from Carrie Brown (not that he killed her, but it was fun connecting the two).

Sincerely,
          Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mklhawley View Post
            Hi Jeff,

I always enjoy the depth of your posts. The Lincoln assassination connection certainly is intriguing. There are numerous connections between Tumblety and the theater, and it makes me wonder if he met booth.

I agree that Anderson may have heard of Tumblety before, especially when Chief Inspector Littlechild recalled Tumblety's file decades later. With respect to when Anderson got wind of Tumblety, before or after the gross indecency case, with the Whitechapel issue from the East End and the gross indecency issue from the West End, I see someone at Headquarters making the connection. That certainly doesn't have to be Anderson. Andrews?

Last year, I was looking into the homosexual subculture of England, specifically London, and how curious that the Cleveland Street scandal was the following year, involving Abberline, and then the Oscar Wilde case involved Littlechild. I love your thoughts on the possibility of the two bailers being part of this world. Time for more digging!

Sincerely,
            Mike
            Hi Mike, and thank you for the complement.

It always surprises me when people are suddenly surprised that somebody in a given time knew somebody else they never thought they know. We have to keep in mind (though it is easy to forget) that all the known figures (and forgotten figures) of the past that we are aware of as historical ones came from the same planet. If our civilization does not destroy itself first, and does spread out to other inhabitable worlds or meets other beings we will then and only then know of beings who were not born on this planet.

Case in point is John Wilkes Booth.

Booth was widely known (and prior to April 14, 1865 liked) around the country, and had romanced Lucy Hale, daughter of Senator John Hale of New Hampshire. In fact, had he not committed his act of murder, he was supposed to marry her (they were engaged). He may have met some of his rivals - Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr., John Hay, Robert Lincoln (yeah, the President's son).

John Wilkes's brother Edwin actually saved Robert Lincoln's life in November 1864 in Boston, when he pulled him back onto a train platform out of the way of a locomotive and cars. This action (by the way) later was revealled by Robert Lincoln, and helped the Booth family in general to disavow Wilkes' actions.

Robert's brother Tad saw Booth perform (with his parents) at Ford's Theater a few months before the assassination and mentioned how much he enjoyed it. Booth learned of this - he sent Tad a rose to show he appreciated it.

Odd how things criss-cross, but all is possible.

Now I read a book two years ago about an incident in 1875 in Bremerhaven, Germany. A barrel accidentally fell while it was being loaded on a pier. It blew up killing and injuring scores of people. It was what was termed "an infernal machine": a specially designed time bomb set to sink the ship "Mosul" while at sea, so that the designer could collect on an insurance policy he had on his "cargo" - no questions asked. The designer, seeing the carnage and that there was no way he could get away, killed himself.

Known only as "Mr Thompson", it turned out he was a resident of Nova Scotia named Alexander Keith - and his history included blockcade running for the South. But Keith had his own agenda, especially as he saw the war turn against the Confederacy. One day he was approached to assist John Wilkes Booth in getting some valuable trunks of costumes and props from Canada to the U.S. (Booth had been in Canada talking to Confederate agents there about his then plans to try to kidnap Lincoln). Keith agreed and the items were put on a boat - and the boat sank somehow. And Keith collected on the insurance policy he put on the boat!! [See Ann Larabee's THE DYNAMITE FIEND, New York, Palgrave-MacMillan, 2005]

Yes I can fully believe that Tumblety met Booth.

The homosexuality issue (re: Cleveland Street) has been crossing Ripperology due to the possibility of whether the Duke of Clarence also went to the club. It could be. You are right - more digging is possible.

Comment

Hello Mike,

I can think of several possibilities:

1. Scotland Yard screwed up in following him and he managed to get away.

2. He was a pain in the butt (no pun intended if you get my drift) and threatened a lawsuit for false arrest. There were probably a lot of people who simply were happy to have him leave the country.

3. If they followed him in America it might turn up some Fenian connections.

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
                Odd how things criss-cross, but all is possible.
                And, just to add something you all probably already know, Robert Lincoln became US Ambassador to the Court of St. James in 1889.

JM

Comment

Originally posted by jmenges View Post
                  And, just to add something you all probably already know, Robert Lincoln became US Ambassador to the Court of St. James in 1889.

JM
                  True enough. Robert Lincoln is also the only person who was at the site of three assassinations (as far as I am aware of): his father's, Garfield's, and McKinley's.

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
                    Hello Mike,

I can think of several possibilities:

1. Scotland Yard screwed up in following him and he managed to get away.

2. He was a pain in the butt (no pun intended if you get my drift) and threatened a lawsuit for false arrest. There were probably a lot of people who simply were happy to have him leave the country.

3. If they followed him in America it might turn up some Fenian connections.

c.d.
                    JM, Jeff, you're making me google all the time to keep up. My head is spinning.

Hi c.d.,

If we take in account what Littlechild said, you nailed number one, and number two, threats of libel action certainly was a reality.

Sincerely,
                    Mike

Comment

JM, Jeff, you're making me google all the time to keep up. My head is spinning.

Hi c.d.,

If we take in account what Littlechild said, you nailed number one, and number two, threats of libel action certainly was a reality.

Sincerely,
                      Mike
                      Hi Mike,

Allow me to spin your head a bit more.

If we consider Doc Tumblety a committed Fenian, then his fleeing to France may have had more to it than just escaping British justice. At the time (November 1888) the former head of the Fenian Brotherhood, James Stephens, lived in Paris. If Tumblety had any connections, and had some information to impart to Stephens, he was in the right country at the right time to do so.

Stephens lived to 1901.

Jeff

Comment

Hi Jeff,

According to the December Central Criminal Court calendar, Tumblety was set for court in early December. The timing of his escape and the fact that Littlechild stated he jumped bail certainly suggests he left in a hurry. We know he did not hang out in France for long, since his transatlantic ship left La Havre on November 24. The fact that he sneaked out through the same path as Irish Nationalists certainly does suggest that once he was in France, he 'got a ride' to La Havre. Maybe there was a little 'quid pro quo' thing going on.

Sincerely,

Mike

Comment

Quid Pro Quo

Maybe something did happen?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dr T Irish Links.gif
Views:	4
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	664914

Comment

Maybe something did happen?
                            Maybe indeed!

One has to suddenly be versed in some idea of the American Fenians, their Irish counterparts, and the time (1886-1890 or so).

1) After the Fenian attempts to invade Canada in the post-American Civil War Years (1866-67) the American Fenians settled down to try to assist the Irish, but like many movements had internal squabbles. One that grew over the years dealt with the Clan-na-gael (which was centered in Chicago). In 1889, while the world still was talking about the Whitechapel Murders, Dr. Patrick Cronin was found dead in a manhole in Chicago - the victim in a feud involving the Clan-na-gael group. It was one of the biggest murder cases in America at the time.

2) In England, Charles Stewart Parnell was fighting for his political life. The Times of London had published (in 1887) a series of letters supposedly by Parnell that suggested he supported any form of terrorism against the British government - and particularly suggested he approved of the assassinations of Chief Secretary for Ireland, Lord Frederick Cavendish, and the Permanent Undersecretary in Phoenix Park, Dublin in May 1882. It was not until the great Sir Charles Russell exposed Richard Pigott, the man who had produced the letters, as a forger to a Parliamentary Commission, that Parnell was shown to be innocent - in 1889.

3) The United States Government did not help matters much. In 1881 the doomed President James Garfield had appointed his friend, former Speaker of the House James Blaine, to the cabinet as Secretary of State. Blaine of Maine disliked the British (his mother was a Catholic, and in his youth there had been a serious border dispute over the Aroostock area between New Brunswick in Canada and Maine). He appointed one Pierce Egan to be our ambassador/minister to Chile. The British did not care for this as Egan was one of the more active of the Irish nationalists of the time (and was subsequently suspected of complicity in the Phoenix Park Assassinations). Blaine left the cabinet in December 1881 after Garfield's death and when Chester Arthur was President. But he returned to the post of Secretary of State in 1889 (until 1892) under President Benjamin Harrison.

4) The American Fenians did not realize that a British agent, Thomas Beach, was well planted within their organization in the 1880s, and sending information to Britain (I believe to Sir Robert Anderson, but I am not sure.
                            Beach had to give up his disguise and return to England to testify as to what he learned in 1889/90.

So there is the current situation at the time of the Ripper - a situation Tumblety would be aware of.

Jeff

Comment

Hi Jeff,

So mix this up with Tumblety, a man who cared for no one else but himself from the beginning of his newspaper advertising travelling quack Indian herb doctor days in the mid-nineteenth century to his post Civil War semi-retired days of presenting himself almost as a surgeon with 'old money'. I bet he looked to be a valuable asset to Irish immigrants. He even commented on how Irish Canadians contacted him to be an Irish leader. This wealthy Irish-American had Fenian neighbors in New York City. I'm sure they contacted him, but I'm also sure that after knowing him they saw him as a strange character and a loose cannon. ...but he had money, so he could still be an asset.

Tumblety, though, seemed to be very stingy with his money, and we know that his lifestyle was more frugal a few years after the Ripper murders up until his death. He seemed to live quite poorly, yet after his death, it was discovered that his bank accounts were definitely not drained. If there was a relationship with him and Irish Nationalists, it seemed to have petered out soon after the Ripper murders.

Sincerely,

Mike
                              Last edited by mklhawley; 04-20-2013, 04:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X