Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newly Discovered Tumblety Photo

Greetings all,

Since this newly discovered photo of Francis Tumblety is already available online, I wanted to post it here in order to give credit to its discoverer, historian Neil Storey.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Francis Tumblety Photo.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	671128

Neil Storey published it in his newest book, The Dracula Secrets, Jack the Ripper and the Darkest Sources of Bram Stoker. It was on my Christmas List. There is a wealth of newly discovered information in his book.

Sincerely,

Mike
    The Ripper's Haunts/JtR Suspect Dr. Francis Tumblety (Sunbury Press)
    http://www.michaelLhawley.com

Thanks Mike and every good wish to Neil...He looks almost normal doesn't he?

Every good wish

Dave

Comment

Hi Dave,

You're so right. Pre-Civil War Tumblety had a single-minded focus on making money, but this photo shows no evidence of being flamboyant. Post-Civil War Tumblety went into semi-retirement, so he was no longer single-minded in money making. It seems to be a photo for private use with no purpose of self advertising. Interesting.

Sincerely,

Mike

Comment

Shame - the moustache has lost all its craziness!

Comment

almost not flamboyant

Hello Mike. Thanks for posting this.

"this photo shows no evidence of being flamboyant."

Well . . . take another look at his shirt.

Cheers.
          LC

Comment

Hi Iain,

At least temporarily until he put it back on.

Hi Lynn,

I was comparing his photo with Red McDermitt's pictures, and one difference was his flashy shirt. It's what's inside that counts!

Sincerely,

Mike

Comment

Thank you Mike and Neil Storey for the very interesting photo. Anything new on Tumblety is welcome. You indicate the photo comes from a private collection - does Neil identify the owner of the collection? Reason I ask is, I've seen other photographs purporting to be Tumblety which were obviously not, so a little provenence would be appreciated. That said, in comparing this new photo with the single known photo of Tumblety - the one where he's dressed as a foreign military officer with helmet - I do see a resemblance with Neil's photo, except for the length of the mustache. In most drawings of Tumblety's likeness, that mustache is notable for it's length. It's evident in the military photo and in the attached drawing showing him in a checkered shirt (which, incidently, looks nothing whatever like the men in either photo). Both of the attached illustrations supposedly represent Tumblety during the same time period as Neil's photograph. So while I definitely see a resemblance between the known photo and Neil's newly-discovered photo, I'd hope for some kind of confirming documentation. What do you think?
              Attached Files
              "We reach. We grasp. And what is left at the end? A shadow."
              Sherlock Holmes, The Retired Colourman

Comment

Originally posted by mklhawley View Post
                Hi Dave,

You're so right. Pre-Civil War Tumblety had a single-minded focus on making money, but this photo shows no evidence of being flamboyant. Post-Civil War Tumblety went into semi-retirement, so he was no longer single-minded in money making. It seems to be a photo for private use with no purpose of self advertising. Interesting.

Sincerely,

Mike
                This looks like a Carte De Visite.

Regards, Bridewell.
                I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Was Tumblety known to be left-handed? The way he's holding the document (in the military photo) would be unnatural to me as a right-hander.

Regards, Bridewell.
                  I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
                    This looks like a Carte De Visite.

Regards, Bridewell.
                    Hi Bridewell,

He certainly did visit France on a few occasions.

Sincerely,
                    Mike

Comment

Was Tumblety known to be left-handed? The way he's holding the document (in the military photo) would be unnatural to me as a right-hander.

Regards, Bridewell.
                      Good question. I'll look into it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. John Watson View Post
                        Thank you Mike and Neil Storey for the very interesting photo. Anything new on Tumblety is welcome. You indicate the photo comes from a private collection - does Neil identify the owner of the collection? Reason I ask is, I've seen other photographs purporting to be Tumblety which were obviously not, so a little provenence would be appreciated. That said, in comparing this new photo with the single known photo of Tumblety - the one where he's dressed as a foreign military officer with helmet - I do see a resemblance with Neil's photo, except for the length of the mustache. In most drawings of Tumblety's likeness, that mustache is notable for it's length. It's evident in the military photo and in the attached drawing showing him in a checkered shirt (which, incidently, looks nothing whatever like the men in either photo). Both of the attached illustrations supposedly represent Tumblety during the same time period as Neil's photograph. So while I definitely see a resemblance between the known photo and Neil's newly-discovered photo, I'd hope for some kind of confirming documentation. What do you think?

Hi Dr. Watson,

I'm interested in the same issue, and I will be discussing more later.

Sincerely,

Mike

Comment

Oh come on.

The paper is held in the right hand.

The left hand is clenched and not touching the paper.
                          allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

I bought and read this book soon after it came out and have been wondering about the provenance of this photo since I first saw it.

Very little is made of the photo in the book.

Looking at the two pictures now, it seems that the Riorden Tumblety has lobed ears, whereas Storey's Tumblety does not.

Comment

Originally posted by DGB View Post
                              I bought and read this book soon after it came out and have been wondering about the provenance of this photo since I first saw it.

Very little is made of the photo in the book.

Looking at the two pictures now, it seems that the Riorden Tumblety has lobed ears, whereas Storey's Tumblety does not.
                              Hi DGB,

I noticed that, too. If they are not the same person, here are my thoughts. Riordan's Tumblety photo was pasted onto the front cover of Tumblety's 1871 autobiography, which makes him look far younger with a thinner face than the picture Dr. Watson showed in the earlier post (#7). Tumblety's 1866 autobiography had the picture of Tumblety being 'wrongly' arrested, while his 1872 autobiography had an engraving of him in a different uniform than his 1871 photo, with a total of five medals and he looked older and heavier.

In my opinion, we can be assured that the 1871 photo came from Tumblety himself, but keep in mind, he was notorious for having others write his letters. Tumblety was known for waxing his mustache in later life in order to give the impression of having a black mustache, probably to keep a youthful look. I would not put it past the untrustworthy Tumblety to have used a young handsome model for the picture.

Storey's Tumblety photo came from Sir Thomas Henry Hall Caine's private collection. Hall Caine had an intimate relationship with Tumblety from 1874 to 1876. This was meant for his boyfriend Hall Caine; a man who clearly knew what Tumblety looked like.

Sincerely,

Mike
                              Last edited by mklhawley; 01-01-2013, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X