Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deadline for entry in a street directory?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deadline for entry in a street directory?

Just wondered if anyone on here has every looked into this deeply...

The issue I am trying to resolve is, as George Chapman is in the 1889 street directory in Cable Street, does this mean he must have asked long before December for inclusion?

Would asking as late as December 1888 result in him being included only in a sort of "stop press"?

Clicking submit with hope in my heart :-)

Helena
    Helena Wojtczak BSc (Hons) FRHistS.

Author of 'Jack the Ripper at Last? George Chapman, the Southwark Poisoner'. Click this link : - http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman.html

Hi Helena,

From the introduction to the 1882 Kelly Post Office Directory -

Click image for larger version

Name:	1882  DIRECTORY.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	664417

Regards,

Simon
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Thanks v much for that Simon ... being down here in Hastings, don't have access to these directories to read the instructions.

So, contrary to what someone (can't remember who) stated that Chapman could have asked for entry up to December, he actually had only until October 1888 (because he is in the main section not in the "Too Late" section.

But now I am wondering, a person might inform the directory of their entry BEFORE actually moving to that address.. once they'd signed a lease, for example, and knew they'd be in the premises the following year.

Thanks again

Helena
      Helena Wojtczak BSc (Hons) FRHistS.

Author of 'Jack the Ripper at Last? George Chapman, the Southwark Poisoner'. Click this link : - http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman.html

Comment

Hi Helena,

You're very welcome.

Hastings isn't exactly "The Land That Time Forgot".

So try this—

Regards,

Simon
        Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Working...
        X