John's Echo Interview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John's Echo Interview

Hello All. Whilst researching John and Kate's movements for the time period from Thursday until Kate's demise, I once again came across the interview with John in "The Echo" 3 October, 1888.

Although this has been read before, and the given caveats about newspaper stories have been duly noted, there are some troubling features of the interview.

I propose to make a list of those features for a subsequent post. Until then, it might be useful to read and absorb this interview.

Cheers.
    LC
    Attached Files

folow up

Hello All. As I promised earlier, I now submit the following features of John’s “Echo” interview—features which seem contrary to his inquest version.

1. Notice that John and Kate’s meeting with the other couple on the road takes place 3 weeks before the interview. This would coincide with the story in “The Echo” from 5 September, in which the hop pickers are returning to London on account of the bad harvest. Notice too that John’s story seems to have Kate and him returning to London; the other couple going north.

2. He speaks of many days without work and some days without food. This seems more days than the 72 hours in which John and Kate were supposed to have reappeared in London.

3. John speaks as if the boots were pawned late in the day. That is certainly congruent with the pawn ticket which indicated a Friday pawning; not, however, amenable to John’s alleged Saturday morning trip to the pawn shop.

4. Most troubling is that when Kate leaves Cooney’s, John advises her to beware the knife. She gives a cheery retort and leaves. He then claims he does not see her again until she is dead. This story differs vastly from his inquest story about parting from Kate at 2.00PM in Houndsditch.

Any ideas for harmonisation would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
    LC

Comment

Hi Lynn,
      Indeed a puzzling press report.
      What struck me as odd, was the conversation ''allegedly'' between Kate and Kelly on the Saturday 29TH, did she not mention the word ''Jack''?
      The Famous Dear Boss letter , although written on the 25TH was not posted until the 27TH, and not seen till that very day[ 29TH] by the authorities.
      that was the first time the infamous name was used. so a ''apt'' choice of word allegedly spoken by Kate? or a good guess..
      Regards Richard.

Comment

Jack

Hello Richard. Thanks. I wonder if "Jack" was a reference to John Kelly who was known as "Jack"?

Cheers.
        LC

Comment

Hi Lynn,
          That would be the most obvious , its strange that just a few hours later she would fall prey to a monster that would be eternally called 'Jack'
          Regards Richard.

Comment

coincidence

Hello Richard. Thanks.

Yes, an interesting coincidence.

Cheers.
            LC

Comment

Hello Lynn,

Well, we know that John Kelly told a story to the police and at the inquest that doesn't match up. I am far from surprised to see another large, detailed piece quoting the man directly being in contrast to the inquest story.

What worries me in all of this, is the possibility that John Kellly is mixing and matching after this report in the Echo.. and what is more is the date of the piece..3rd October. What day did he come forward to present himself to the police wondering if Kate was missing? Am I also correct he did this after reading about the victim in the papers, or am I mistaken?
              Because, the place he was staying was raided by the police, ok, inspected/visited, within an hour or so of Kate's death.

For me, this newspaper report is quite disturbing for the veracity of John Kelly, coming on top of the story he fed the inquest later. Don't like this at all. Makes the cynic in me suspicious.

Agree with you both re the reference to "Jack" for the name "John".

best wishes

Phil
              Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
              Accountability? ....

Comment

story

Hello Phil. Thanks. Yes, I believe that your times are correct.

I suppose what troubles me most about John's inquest story is that Kate was to be back by 4.00. His story is that he had discovered she had been incarcerated for a drop of drink. That was at 8.30. But if he were concerned, why wait over 4 hours?

He further claimed that he expected her out Sunday morning. So why wait a few more days?

Cheers.
                LC

Comment

Hi Lynn,

Stories like Kelly's give crap a bad name.

Regards,

Simon
                  Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

take your pick

Hello Simon. Thanks. Which one? (heh-heh)

Cheers.
                    LC

Comment

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
                      Hello Simon. Thanks. Which one? (heh-heh)

Cheers.
                      LC
                      Hello Lynn, Simon,

Yup. Both.

The question we can now ask, is WHY did he do it?
                      I mean, it's not as if he would feel that he would be suspected of murder, is it? Look at his alibi..... oh... yes... perhaps not.

best wishes

Phil
                      Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

Hi Lynn,

La chose entière.

Cordialement,

Simon

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
                          Hi Lynn,

Stories like Kelly's give crap a bad name.

Regards,

Simon
                          Far to much importance placed on newspaper articles in Ripperology

Far to many people to ready to accept what is written is the truth !

I guess newspaper articles and writings and rambings of ageing police officers go hand in glove. Simple fact is you cannot safely rely on anyone or anyhting.

Comment

Hi Lynn,

" . . . the woman [Burrell] made Kate take a pawnticket she had for a flannel shirt that had been 'popped' at Jones's, in Church Street. It was only for ninepence, but Kate took it, and we got the money . . ."

Is Kelly saying that Burrell gave them the pawn ticket plus ninepence with which to redeem the shirt?

Regards,

Simon

Comment

Hello Simon,

I read it as she (Kate) got 9d pawning it (Burrell's shirt)

best wishes

Phil
                              Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

Working...
                              X