Applying Rossmo's Formula...on paper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applying Rossmo's Formula...on paper?

Is it practical, even possible, to manually create a jeopardy surface using Rossmo's formula using pen, paper and calculator?

I wish I knew what a jeopardy surface was!

Regards, Bridewell.
    I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Hi Bridewell,

Rossmo's formula divides the map of a crime scene into a grid with i rows and j columns. Thus, the probability that the criminal is located in the box at row i and j column is—

Click image for larger version

Name:	ROSSMO.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	10.9 KB
ID:	664114

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz . . . . .

Regards,

Simon
      Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
        Hi Bridewell,

Rossmo's formula divides the map of a crime scene into a grid with i rows and j columns. Thus, the probability that the criminal is located in the box at row i and j column is—

[ATTACH]14329[/ATTACH]

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz . . . . .

Regards,

Simon
        Hi Simon,

It's perhaps has some merit in the modern world. The problem with applying it historically, as I see it, is that, even if we could tie the killer to a particular address, it doesn't help if we don't actually know who lived there. I wish the Ripper had chosen the spring of a census year to do his filthy business - life would be so much easier!

Regards, Bridewell.

Comment

behaviour

Hello Colin. It would also be easier if he had read the FBI profile. Then he would know how to behave himself. (heh-heh)

Cheers.
          LC

Comment

Thoughtless

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
            Hello Colin. It would also be easier if he had read the FBI profile. Then he would know how to behave himself. (heh-heh)

Cheers.
            LC
            Hi Lynn,

A thoughtless individual, but that's hardly his worst character defect!

Regards, Bridewell.

Comment

So, is it feasible to work out a jeopardy surface using the formula without a fancy computer program? I've given it a go on paper and I might be making headway but it's hard to say. Not much about it online to fully explain it.

Comment

Just thought I'd bump this. Still interested.

Comment

The simple answer is no. Rossmo's formula isn't terribly good in that it requires you to provide some 'constants'. If you knew what the constants were that would be fine - but you don't. It's pure guesswork.

But, if you want to try....
                  You need to know the distance from each murder site to each spot within the area bounded by all the sites - and that's just for starters. When you have that I'll be happy to tell you how to carry on. Here's a hint - probably the easiest thing to do is to assume JtR lived on a corner. Get the X/Y co-ordinates of every corner and work out the distance to the next corner going towards each murder site. Repeat. Add together. Make sure you have the shortest route. Repeat.

Pencil and paper? I somehow doubt it.
                  They sought it with thimbles, they sought it with care; They pursued it with forks and hope;
                  They threatened its life with a railway-share; They charmed it with smiles and soap.

Comment

Working...
                  X