Druitt Cases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Druitt Cases

I guess it was on the old board that we had posted several news articles of cases involving a "Mr. Druitt." We speculated as to whether this was Montague. The following clip shows us that we should be cautious as the date (1878) indicates that it could not be Montague. Is this brother Wiliam Harvey? But as a solicitor rather than abarrister could he represent someone in county court?

Bristol Mercury and Daily Post, 12 July 1878:

Interesting because I remember it was in a report in a "Bristol" newspaper that the story of a 'surgeon's ' son being suspected of being the Whitechapel murderer----on account of blood stained clothing being found in his room etc
    BTW---did you see there was another Farquharson[Robert] who was an MP and lectured at Toynbee Hall?
    Last edited by Natalie Severn; 05-05-2008, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Yes on both accounts, Norma. It was a Bristol paper that ran the "son of a surgeon" story but not the same one. The other Farquharson MP was a doctor from Aberdeenshire. I can find no evidence of relation.

Comment

This case shows that William Harvey Druitt had experience in coroner's court (indeed, his cousin was coroner for Bournemouth) and probably knew exactly how to manipulate Diplock's inquest:

Bristol Mercury and Daily Post, 11 May 1888:

Comment

Another interesting find Andy. You have een very busy.
          Not only was the deceased in this case a solicitor like the Coroner, but there is a remote possibility they may have been distantly related.
          The Druitts were a distinct branch of the Mayo/Elton listed in the family genealogy published in 1902. JOHNRUFFELS.

Comment

Suicide at Bournemouth

Hi Andy,

"An inquest was held at the Bell Vue Hotel Bournemouth, yesterday by Mr. W. H. Druitt"

As I understand it only a coroner or deputy coroner could [can] hold an inquest although I cannot recall William Harvey Druitt ever having been a coroner. Have you, I wonder stumbled on something we did not know before?

Rgds
            John

Comment

Originally posted by John Savage View Post
              Hi Andy,

"An inquest was held at the Bell Vue Hotel Bournemouth, yesterday by Mr. W. H. Druitt"

As I understand it only a coroner or deputy coroner could [can] hold an inquest although I cannot recall William Harvey Druitt ever having been a coroner. Have you, I wonder stumbled on something we did not know before?

Rgds
              John
              Hi John,

Druitt's cousin James (or possibly it was his uncle, James, Sr.) was coroner of the area including Bournemouth. I suspect William was named a deputy coroner or something similar and had authority to fill in during his relative's absence.

Oh, and, I never "stumble" onto things. I always search systematically and diligently! (Just kidding).

Comment

Working...
              X