What about male victims?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What about male victims?

I know that the ripper is traditionally viewed as a murderer of women exclusively, but I was musing earlier today about the possibility that he also turned his attention to men.
    I must be clear here, I don't think that he did, and I do think that he was a killer of female 'unfortunates' only, but I was wondering if anyone has ever done any research on this? Are there any unexplained male deaths/mutilations from the same period (1885-1890), over and above the usual Saturday night stabbings? Obviously, if we haven't been looking then we don't know, but I find it an interesting thought.
    Does anyone have an opinion? Idle musings..?
    Anyone?

I must admit I haven ever really seen anyone mention the ripper killing men and I cant remember seeing anyone put that theory into print.
    I like yourself I don't see him killing women and men, its just not in his Mo. I can't really think of a serial killer who killed men and women together..done this. Ottis Toole and Henry Lee Lucas did but in there case one took the boys and the other took the girls...

I think its a point of interest, but even looking into male deaths around that time, I don't think will yield anything new.

Dan

Comment

Male Mutilations

Are there any unexplained male deaths/mutilations from the same period (1885-1890), over and above the usual Saturday night stabbings?
      I'd have thought the police would have made the connection if there had been, but I've been proved wrong before!

Regards, Bridewell.
      I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

It would be very interesting to discover if there were a series of men subjected to knife attacks, killings and/or mutilations. I'd certainly like to see a list of such crimes from H division. Does anyone know if such a list exists?

Mind you the area was generally extremely violent, wasn't it? I guess a glance at the local papers at the time would reveal much.

I am interested in this and also the question in my own thread ...

Helena
        Helena Wojtczak BSc (Hons) FRHistS.

Author of 'Jack the Ripper at Last? George Chapman, the Southwark Poisoner'. Click this link : - http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman.html

Comment

Jack the Ripper is a pretty specific killer. I don't think there would be any mutilations of men that could be attached to him. But that doesn't mean he didn't kill men. He didn't go after witnesses, but that isn't to say he didn't kill men he perceived as being in his way, or trying to stop him. It wouldn't be part of his ritual, and so wouldn't have those characteristics, but it could have been someone either close to him, or someone who he saw as getting in his way of a potential victim. Like another potential client.
          The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Hello Errata

Speaking for myself, I am interested in knife attacks on men and women in the area in order to get a feeling of just how usual/unusual such attacks were in general in the area.

Though I don't mean to derail the thread :-)

Author of 'Jack the Ripper at Last? George Chapman, the Southwark Poisoner'. Click this link : - http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman.html

Comment

Interesting question. Made me think of Andrei Chikatilo, the Rostov Ripper, who killed both females and males. I'd be interested in seeing the results of research into this aspect of the Whitechapel murders.
              Bond. Greg Bond

Comment

Just spent an hour on the Illustrated Police News, that covered extensively all the Whitechapel murders (up to number 9 the Pinchin St torso.) There are no mentions of other unsolved murders of persons of either sex in the area between 1875 and 1900.

Comment

Hi Helena

Try Reynolds's Newspaper 16th Sept. 1888

Article entitled 'undiscovered crimes in London'

if you haven't access let me know and I'll clip and paste for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Lucky View Post
                    Hi Helena

Reading it now! Thank you v much!

Comment

No Acces

Originally posted by Mr Lucky View Post
                      Hi Helena

I don't have access to this clipping Mr. Lucky, if you could clip it here for me it would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.
                      Last edited by towboydds; 06-29-2012, 08:22 PM. Reason: bad wording
                      It is not in the heart that hate begins but in the mind of those that seek the revenge of creation. Darrel Derek Stieben

Comment

Hi towboydd

I've tried and failed, PM me an e-mail if you still want it

Comment

The only two male victims I've heard mentioned a possibilities (and remote ones at that) were Fingers Freddie and John Gill. I don't know if the sex of the fetus that was found in the jar when Elizabeth Jackson was being fished out was ever determined.
                          This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Originally posted by sdreid View Post
                            The only two male victims I've heard mentioned a possibilities (and remote ones at that) were Fingers Freddie and John Gill. I don't know if the sex of the fetus that was found in the jar when Elizabeth Jackson was being fished out was ever determined.
                            I still maintain that's the weirdest thing I've ever heard, and I've heard some epically strange ****.
                            The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

I've researched a lot on a boy named John Gill and his murder was very similar to that of Mary Kelly's. His heart had been taken from his chest and put in his abdomen, his legs had been cut off, and I believe his ears as well. Disemboweled. Genitals cut off. The death took place in 1888. He was found in an outhouse and the local milkman was charged with his murder, but was later found not guilty. John Gill was I believe 8 at the time. I had planned to write a fiction sorry around him, but it's been months since I researched him and another boy with the last name Searle, who was 11. I can dig up my old notes and references if you are interested. I never really was able to obtain enough information to start my story, but I did find startling, subdued reports of young boys' murders that were identical to Jack the Ripper's style.

KuroDesires

Comment

Working...
                              X