Druitt"s Oxford chums sought out for Whitechapel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Druitt"s Oxford chums sought out for Whitechapel

In 1875 Rev.Barnett and his wife went on their first mission to "talk about the poor" of Whitechapel .It was to be the first of many which would spread to several major Oxford colleges including New College where Druitt and ET Cook were students.We know for certain that Cook was very interested and subsequently did years of service work at Toynbee Hall.
    The objective was to recruit such students on a "residential" educational mission when they had graduated and it spread to the colleges of Cambridge where The Duke Of Clarence was recruited as an "associate"---but not apparently as a residental graduate teacher/service worker though he seemed to have enjoyed his visits and spoke out very positively at early meetings during its first years in progress from 1884/5 to 1888/9 approx.It is impossible to name all the students who graduated from the various colleges and came as residents to work in Whitechapel but they numbered in their hundreds by 1889.
    Names such as Toynbee"s himself, Sidney Ball,WH Forbes,Arthur Hoare,Leonard Montefiore,Alfred Milner,Philip Gell,John Falk,GE Underhill,Ralph Whitehead,Lewis Nettleship are among the very first to enthusiastically join the project.

Names specifically from the " New College"[Druitt"s college ] graduates group in 1884/5 included CH Rolt, Sidney Ball, ET Cook, HD Leigh, Henry D Neil, JGK McKenzie, R E Matheson,Alfred Robinson.
    A few more names are down as holding specific duties such as W Hothouse,HW Tudor,S Hoare, Lowndes.
    and from Cambridge offering service in 1884/5 HRH Duke of Clarence ,Arthur H D Acland,-----an AJ Balfour is present in 1885 as isJR Selby and JA Chamberlain and Charrington are referred to a little later on.

There were many more in the next few years,most of whom would take up a "residency" in Whitechapel.
    Speakers were drawn from across the political spectrum;for example
    William Morris,[who also created the colour scheme for Toynbee Hall],its frieze etc, Ben Tillett ,the famous Dockers Leader on The Future of the Dockers Union, Henry Cunningham,Tom Mann ,Miss Beatrice Potter,Asquith,
    RB Haldane,GB Shaw,Hilaire Belloc,George Lansbury,Canon Wilberforce,Lord Balfour,Bernard Coleridge MP and it goes on and on!!!!!

Alfred Milner,Arnold Toynbee,Rev CW Stubbs ,Rev EC Hawkins,Prof Bryce were some of the very early speakers-1880-this would have been in the St Jude"s venue because Toynbee Hall wasnt opened until 1884.

So Whitechapel appears to have been able to draw a wide cross section of the great and the good to do their bit for "the poor".

A name I noticed,looking through the early contributors to Toynbee Hall was a man named" Lacey".It didnt ring a bell at the time but I now find that a Mr "Lacey" was Monty"s teaching colleague at Eliot"s place.I will have to recheck that.I cant do it easily but will attend to it in the next few weeks.It may not be the Blackheath "Lacey" anyway.

Comment

The Blackheath man was Frederick Lacey, who I believe had a Hampshire connection.

Comment

Hello Natalie and Andy,
        As far as I can see,there were three Laceys in the area round MJD's life.
        Assistant Master at Valentine's school, Frederick Henry Lacey ( one of nominees for MJD for Blackheath Cricket, Hockey and Rugby Club);a solicitor
        Charles Edward Lacy (note; no "E") who also occupied chambers at 9 Kings Bench Walk.His residence in 1897 was 35 Lower Belgrave Street.
        The third was (Sir) Francis Eden Lacey, a cricketing mate of MJD's, who later servedas MCC Secretary 1898-1926. JOHN RUFFELS.

Comment

Thanks John,I just recall seeing the name Lacey,cant remember the initials,in the founding members section of The Toynbee Hall.Whether he was a "founding member " though or a facilitator of some sort I dont know or whether he was one of these Lacey"s ,but I will return to it when I can.
          Cheers John,
          N.

Comment

Arnold Toynbee: Distinguished Historian...

Hello Natalie,
            On the Dr William Druitt" thread, you wax eloquently about Montague Druitt possibly hearing the distinguished gentleman, Arnold Toynbee, giving talks to benchers from the Inner Temple about the marvellous work being conducted to assist the poor in the "East End" .
            Just thought you might be interested to know that on an Internet site listing
            "O.W"s (that is, "Old Wyckhamists": or rather ex-pupils of Winchester College,
            one of the names mentioned is none other than one, "Arnold Toynbee".
            JOHN RUFFELS.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnr View Post
              "O.W"s (that is, "Old Wyckhamists": or rather ex-pupils of Winchester College, one of the names mentioned is none other than one, "Arnold Toynbee".
              Well spotted, John - however, that was Arnold Toynbee, born in 1889. His eponymous uncle died in 1883, and Toynbee Hall was founded a year later and named in his honour. Arnold (senior) in fact went to public school at Blackheath, but that would have been sometime in the 1860s - he was not an Old Wykehamist. (See Wikipedia.)
              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

I've often wondered who was 'resident' at Toynbee Hall during the period. Being crap at research, though, I wouldn't have a clue where to start looking!
                Once is happenstance; twice is coincidence. The third time, it's enemy action.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravenstone View Post
                  I've often wondered who was 'resident' at Toynbee Hall during the period.
                  Not 1888, Raven, but this is as close as I can get. All are listed as being of marital status "Single" unless otherwise noted below:

1891 Census Return for Toynbee Hall
                  Ernest H Aves (Head), 30, b. Cambridge. Secretary of the council of the University

[The following are all listed as "visitors"]

William H Forbes, 39, b. St George Hanover Square, London. Classical Tutor [in] School
                  Robert G Tatton, 43, b. Northenden, Cheshire. Living on his own means
                  Edward B Osborne, 24, b. Blackburn, Lancashire. Tutor [in] School
                  Bertram R Hawker, 23, b. Llandudno, Wales. Undergraduate of Cambridge University
                  Harold H Joachim, 22, b. London. Fellow of Merton College Oxford
                  Emil M Stoebe(?), 26, b. Manchester, Lancashire. East India Merchants Clerk
                  Thomas B Powell, 27, b. Newick, Sussex. Living on his own means
                  Talbot S Peppin, 22, b. Wells, Somerset. Undergraduate of Oxford

[End of "visitors" section]

Thomas S Mills (Head), 35, b. Birkenhead, Cheshire. Solicitor
                  Walter Wragge (Head), 25, b. Cheshire. Clerk in Holy Orders, Curate of St Jude's Whitechapel
                  Henry Ward (Head), 42, b. Lambeth. Civil Engineer
                  Richard W Kittle, 33, b. Colyton, Devon. Barrister at Law, Solicitor
                  Arthur H Peppin (Head), 26, b. Wells, Somerset. Organist and Secretary [of] Music
                  Harry S Lewis (Head), 27, b. Marylebone, London. Elementary Teacher [in] School

[Servants and Housekeepers]

Isabella C Bradshaw, 61, b. Westminster. Housekeeper
                  Sophia Sly, 40, b. Witham, Essex. Servant/Cook/Domestic
                  Jane West, 23, b. Worcester. Parlour Maid
                  Eliza Devereux, 18, b. Haggerston, London. Parlour Maid
                  Susannah Sumpter, 22, b. Endersley, Leicestershire. Housemaid
                  Florence Couchman, 24, b. Bethnal Green. Housemaid
                  Elizabeth Cole, 32 (Widow), b. Walworth, London. Housemaid
                  Elizabeth Hill, 22, b. Bridgewater, Somerset. Housemaid
                  Eliza Nelson, 21, b. Islington, London. Kitchen Maid
                  Last edited by Sam Flynn; 06-09-2008, 04:28 PM. Reason: Added ages
                  Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Wow. I'm in awe. Thank you very much indeed!

I always think there's no harm in checking out Toynbee Hall. It's fairly central after all. And imagine the furore if someone came up with another toff Ripper suspect

Comment

So, who was "Toynbee Hall" named after?

Even better spotted Gareth,
                      Thanks. You are absolutely correct.
                      So, I wonder, just who "Toynbee Hall " was named for? After all, according to Natalie, Walter Besant was the begetter of the original scheme...
                      JOHN RUFFELS.

Comment

Apparently, because Arnold Toynbee worked himself into an early grave serving the poor. And Arnold Toynbee was an 'earlier associate' of Samuel Barnett.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnr View Post
                          Even better spotted Gareth,
                          Thanks. You are absolutely correct.
                          So, I wonder, just who "Toynbee Hall " was named for? After all, according to Natalie, Walter Besant was the begetter of the original scheme...
                          JOHN RUFFELS.
                          Besant and his wife were instrumental in the People's Palace, weren't they?

Comment

Originally posted by aspallek View Post
                            Besant and his wife were instrumental in the People's Palace, weren't they?
                            Quite so, Andy - at least, I know that Walter Besant was active in setting it up. Indeed, the Palace was partly inspired by one of Besant's novels, which strikes me as a unique accomplishment, at least at that time.
                            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Hi Folks,
                              I have been a bit busy and forgot about this thread.Some good finds too.I have a list of all the first year intake of "residents" but will have to dig it out in a day or two.I have been really busy and the same tomorrow and Thursday but will definitely get back to this thread soon
                              Best Norma

Comment

Working...
                              X