Ripperologist 90: April 2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ripperologist 90: April 2008

Hot off the electronic presses once again is the monthly fix of informed articles, news and reviews that is Ripperologist magazine.

Don Souden kicks things off with his editorial A Long Time Ago Indeed, followed by Simon Wood's attempt to deconstruct Jack by examining the killing of Polly Nichols.

Mike Covell take a look at Hull-based Ripper Crazes between 1888 and 1988, while Robert Mackensie asks if Dr Bond's medical speciality merits closer scrutiny.

Christopher T. George investigates Mentor’s suspect in Jack the Ripper and the Jews, this month's features are brought to a close by a Ripper farce by Alejandro Dolina, translated by Eduardo Zinna.

Jennifer Pegg, Chris Scott and Wilf Gregg return with regular columns, and we report on the very latest news and reviews to round off the issue.

Would you like to write for Ripperologist? We'd love to hear from you. Send your ideas to contact@ripperologist.info

Best wishes,
    Adam Wood
    Editor, Ripperologist

6 all-colour issues direct to your email inbox for just £12. Subscribe now!
    Attached Files

Yes, I opened mine earlier today here at work and couldn't resist reading Simon's essay. Unfortunately, I had to stop half-way, but I'm looking forward to reading the rest as it's excellent so far. I'm positively chomping at the bit to read Chris George's piece on Mentor, since that's an intriguing clue I've wanted to look into myself. I've love to know the book he's talking about!

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Never mind the Rip Tom,

Adams middle name is Neil?! His parents named him after me!

Awesome !!

Monty
      Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Recently, Don Souden revealed his middle name to be Ogilvie, now Adam tells us his is Neil. Anyone wanna place bets what the T stands for in Christopher T. George? What do you say, Monty, perhaps his parents named him after ME!

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

P.S. Paul's middle name is actually Begg. He dropped his surname, which is Toreport, years ago when he went into journalism. His editor couldn't handle the irony.

Comment

The middle initial T always stands for "The" on this site.
          This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
            Recently, Don Souden revealed his middle name to be Ogilvie, now Adam tells us his is Neil. Anyone wanna place bets what the T stands for in Christopher T. George? . . .
            Thompson. My maternal grandfather's name was George Thompson Matchett, as was his father... but I could hardly take my grandfather's Christian name since my mother married a man named Mr. George. . .

Chris
            Christopher T. George
            Editor, Ripperologist
            http://www.ripperologist.biz
            http://chrisgeorge.netpublish.net

Comment

Chris,

By George! your folks were on to something there.

Don.
              "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Comment

Don,
                I seem to always have to ask if my mag can be sent on time.I emailed Adam but still havent had a reply.
                Can you help me here?

Thanks

PS Chris,my name before marriage was Thompson----and there were several relatives in Liverpool!
                Last edited by Natalie Severn; 05-03-2008, 01:34 AM.

Comment

Natalie,

Your wish is my command and a copy should arrive momentarily.

Don.
                  "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Comment

Jules

Morning Don,
                    does this issue have anything about Jules or have I missed it.

Lyn

Comment

Originally posted by Krys Titania View Post
                      Morning Don,
                      does this issue have anything about Jules or have I missed it.

Lyn
                      Hi Lyn

We ran obituaries for Jules, Jeremy Beadle, and Jonathan Goodman in Ripperologist 87, January 2008.

All the best

Chris
                      Christopher T. George
                      Editor, Ripperologist
                      http://www.ripperologist.biz
                      http://chrisgeorge.netpublish.net

Comment

Hi Don,
                        I have pm"ed you as I am unable to open the attachment you sent of Ripperologist [ its downloaded].I have tried twice now.....ughhh!
                        Nats

Comment

Success at last Don---very many thanks---magazine looks great!
                          Norma

Comment

I found Simon"s article on Polly Nichols very thought provoking.It appears the various witness statements had more holes in them than a sieve! On the evidence -or rather lack of consistency in evidence, which includes Dr Llewellyn"s differing observations,I think Polly could very possibly have been murdered elsewhere-possibly near the slaughterhouse in Winthrop Street, and brought around to this spot for some reason.
                            A really good article Simon!

Comment

Working...
                            X