Find My Past - TV show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Find My Past - TV show

There will be an interesting (well I think it should be interesting anyway)program on Yesterday Channel soon in the UK at least.

The promotional blurb says:

Karen Miller, Dan Nielson and Oliver Boot discover their ancestors share an astonishing connection to Jack the Ripper.

Don't miss it: tune in to the Yesterday channel at 9pm on Thursday 24 November to watch the episode: Freeview channel 12, Sky 537, Virgin Media 203

Trace your ancestry and build a family tree by researching extensive birth records, census data, obituaries and more - over 5 billion records - start today!

Nielson

Hello Lechmere. Nielson? Hmmm.

Cheers.
    LC

Comment

Miller?

Originally posted by Lechmere View Post
      There will be an interesting (well I think it should be interesting anyway)program on Yesterday Channel soon in the UK at least.

The promotional blurb says:

Karen Miller, Dan Nielson and Oliver Boot discover their ancestors share an astonishing connection to Jack the Ripper.

Don't miss it: tune in to the Yesterday channel at 9pm on Thursday 24 November to watch the episode: Freeview channel 12, Sky 537, Virgin Media 203

http://www.findmypast.co.uk/content/...tv/ripper.html
      I wonder if that's Miller as in Miller's Court? Definitely a programme worth staying in for. I don't know about anyone else, but I'll watch anything on the subject, just on the off-chance of getting a snippet of information I haven't seen before.
      I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

I somehow doubt that this Miller has anything to do with the naming of Miller's Court.
        I think there is a thread on the other forum about this - I seem to remember reading about it a few weeks ago
        I think the relatives are from a victim, a policeman and a witness if my memory serves correctly.
        Last edited by Lechmere; 11-14-2011, 12:35 AM.

Comment

I somehow doubt that this Miller has anything to do with the naming of Miller's Court.
          I think there is a thread on the other forum about this - I seem to remember reading about it a few weeks ago
          I think the relatives are from a victim, a policeman and a witness if my memory serves correctly.
          Of course it does

Comment

The 'Of course it does' applying to your last line, Lech.,and not your first...

Comment

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
              Hello Lechmere. Nielson? Hmmm.

Cheers.
              LC
              Just another coincidence, Lynn.

Comment

unraveled my knitting

Hello Debs. Thanks. Thought so. Still, you are the only one who caught it.

Cheers.
                LC

Comment

Like accidents, coincidences do happen, unfortunately for us...
                  We all have to be on our guard, Lynn.
                  I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a Clarke descendant myself.

Comment

Are you Mary Clark?

Hello Debs. Did you say Clarke? Mary Clarke? Oh, no. In that case, Sir David Rogers is the ripper after all and Baker and Berman were spot on. (heh-heh)

Mind that lift, will you? (heh-heh)

Cheers.
                    LC

Comment

Actually

It's actually a victim, a policeman and a newspaper man.
                      SPE

Treat me gently I'm a newbie.

Comment

Well I enjoyed it anyway even though one of the experts seemed to me to be laughing inappropriately when he told some bloke that his ancestor made his name by sensationalising Jack the Ripper.
                        The program also stated as a fact that the Dear Boss letter was a forgery...

Comment

Interesting how Kate Eddowes' descendant thought that the sketch in the Penny Illustrated Paper of 13 Oct. looked like her grandmother. I'd never given much thought to this sketch before, assuming it was largely guesswork on the part of the artist. But might he have talked to pals of Kate's and done sketches consulting with them as a police artist would? Might he even have seen the body? Or was it mostly guesswork or luck after all and the lady on the telly was not being very objective? I'm not an artist but some of these newspaper fellows seem pretty good to me. It would be interesting to hear what others think.

Also, the programme alleged that PC Hutt had a letter published in the press about suspicion of Jews. Anyone aware of this?

Best wishes,
                          Steve.

Comment

Originally posted by Steven Russell View Post
                            Interesting how Kate Eddowes' descendant thought that the sketch in the Penny Illustrated Paper of 13 Oct. looked like her grandmother. I'd never given much thought to this sketch before, assuming it was largely guesswork on the part of the artist. But might he have talked to pals of Kate's and done sketches consulting with them as a police artist would? Might he even have seen the body? Or was it mostly guesswork or luck after all and the lady on the telly was not being very objective? I'm not an artist but some of these newspaper fellows seem pretty good to me. It would be interesting to hear what others think.

Also, the programme alleged that PC Hutt had a letter published in the press about suspicion of Jews. Anyone aware of this?

Best wishes,
                            Steve.
                            Hi Steve,

Please see below. It wasn't a letter of suspicion, but in defence.

Evening News
                            London, U.K.
                            11 September 1888

THE EDITOR'S DRAW.
                            SLAUGHTERING THE JEWS.

TO THE EDITOR OF THE "EVENING NEWS."

SIR - with reference to the above heading, on Saturday, evening last, I found it difficult to traverse the streets in the vicinity of the Whitechapel, without observing in almost every thoroughfare , knots of persons (consisting of men, women and children), and overhearing their slanderous and insulting remarks towards the Jews, who occasionally passed by. With justice to my countrymen, I mention that the foul epithets was made use of by people of the most ignorant and dangerous class, promoted by the information they had casually obtained that a man known as "Leather Apron" had a Jewish appearance, and was wanted for the recent Whitechapel murders. Even were it the case that the actual perpetrator belonged to the Hebrew class, is it not cowardly and unjust that in the extreme to calumniate a sect for the sins of one? Spotless indeed would be the flock entirely minus of black sheep. The Jew predominates in the neighbourhood where I am and have been residing for years, but notwithstanding the crimes committed by the members of our so- called Christian race average at least 99 per cent, in excess of those imputed by the Jews. Therefore if there were base enough to take a mean advantage of this knowledge, and impugn and molest every respectable Christian pedestrian they chanced to meet, no doubt riot and disorder would be the result daily. "Hard words break no bones," but often they lead to that end. The Jew is certainly no coward when on the defensive and if such conduct as I personally witnessed on Saturday last is not suppressed, the consequences may be serious indeed. My knowledge of the Jews impresses me with the belief that they are a persevering, thrifty and generous race. Clannish they may be, and it is a pity there is not more of such brotherly feeling existing among Christians; again, seldom have I seen a subscription list opened for the benefit of a deserving Christian that has not been contributed to by the Jews. Those who forget themselves so far as to insult them in the manner I have stated should put the query to each other, "What would our Christian labour market be (especially in this district) without the industry introduced by the Hebrew race? If your space will admit of giving publicity to the remarks made from a lover of fair play, it may be the means of deterring the self-imagined, pure-minded Christian, in abusing the people I have mentioned, and also teach him to endeavour "to pick the mote from his own eye," instead of molesting a harmless and industrious fraternity. I am, &e.,

48 and 49, Bishopsgate-street, Without, G. H. H.
                            September 10.

Monty
                            Last edited by Monty; 11-25-2011, 09:34 AM.
                            Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

One interesting point, well it is to me, is the fact that it was the first TV showing of Hutts identified photo.

Also, the irony of the pub Stewart went in to was not lost on me.

Monty
                              Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Working...
                              X