Tumblety in Brockville-no evidence found

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tumblety in Brockville-no evidence found

I happen to live only an hours drive from Brockville and after reading here that there was an implication that Francis Tumblety was born there I decided that the next time I had nothing to do I would spend the time on researching the possibility.

Having spent an entire afternoon at Brockville City Hall and dropping in at the police station just as a precaution, and checking in with the Historical Society, I can honestly say that I found no record of the birth of one Francis Tumblety or any record that a family by that name or any other name used as an alias lived within the city limits at any time in the recorded history of this town.

The name Tumblety (or various versions of the spelling) do not appear in the Census's of 1851 through to 1901.

There was though a William Tumblety listed for the Census of 1861 census @ca.on.147a page 037 line 16

@ca.on.hastings_county.madoc_township_agricultural film C1034 lds0349279
    16 TUMBLETY William concession 8 lot 3 acres 100

Madoc Township is about 90 miles north and west of Kingston which is 50 miles west of Brockvile.

Brockville does hold the possibility that Tumblety did business in the town for it is on the main rail line between Toronto and Montreal and is the place where trains are changed if travelling to Ottawa.

I have tried to search the older hotels in Kingston and Brockville for the possibility of finding Tumblety having stayed during one of his visits but records are skimpy, inaccurate and almost non existant for this time period unless they are official government records.

I hope this will answer the question of the possibility of Tumblety being born in Brockville.

Chris

Originally posted by merlyn555 View Post
    I happen to live only an hours drive from Brockville and after reading here that there was an implication that Francis Tumblety was born there I decided that the next time I had nothing to do I would spend the time on researching the possibility.

Having spent an entire afternoon at Brockville City Hall and dropping in at the police station just as a precaution, and checking in with the Historical Society, I can honestly say that I found no record of the birth of one Francis Tumblety or any record that a family by that name or any other name used as an alias lived within the city limits at any time in the recorded history of this town.

The name Tumblety (or various versions of the spelling) do not appear in the Census's of 1851 through to 1901.

There was though a William Tumblety listed for the Census of 1861 census @ca.on.147a page 037 line 16

@ca.on.hastings_county.madoc_township_agricultural film C1034 lds0349279
    16 TUMBLETY William concession 8 lot 3 acres 100

Madoc Township is about 90 miles north and west of Kingston which is 50 miles west of Brockvile.

Brockville does hold the possibility that Tumblety did business in the town for it is on the main rail line between Toronto and Montreal and is the place where trains are changed if travelling to Ottawa.

I have tried to search the older hotels in Kingston and Brockville for the possibility of finding Tumblety having stayed during one of his visits but records are skimpy, inaccurate and almost non existant for this time period unless they are official government records.

I hope this will answer the question of the possibility of Tumblety being born in Brockville.

Chris
    Thanks, Merlyn. You would be looking for someone born in Brockville around 1830. The consensus seems to be that Tumblety was born in Ireland around 1830 and that the family later moved to Rochester, New York. As far as I know the Tumblety family did not live in Canada though Dr. Tumblety in later years of course worked in various Canadian cities.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
    just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
    For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
    RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

Thank you Chris and I second Chris George's comments. At different times, Rochester census and directories also spelled his last name Tumilty, Tumialty, Tumathy, Tumuelty, and Tumelty. Did you try those? It would be interesting if you found a 'Mike Sullivan'. There are a few reports claiming his original name was Mike Sullivan in Canada, but it was most likely another one of his aliases. I'd even check on 'Blackburn'.

Sincerely,

Mike
      Last edited by mklhawley; 09-04-2011, 12:58 AM.
      The Ripper's Haunts/JtR Suspect Dr. Francis Tumblety (Sunbury Press)
      http://www.michaelLhawley.com

Comment

Originally posted by mklhawley View Post
        Thank you Chris and I second Chris George's comments. At different times, Rochester census and directories also spelled his last name Tumilty, Tumialty, Tumathy, Tumuelty, and Tumelty. Did you try those? It would be interesting if you found a 'Mike Sullivan'. There are a few reports claiming his original name was Mike Sullivan in Canada, but it was most likely another one of his aliases. I'd even check on 'Blackburn'.

Sincerely,

Mike
        thanks for the replies Chris and Mike all known alias's and variations of last names were checked including Sullivan and Blackburn.

The lady at the Historical Society said it would be unusual for an Irish family of that time period to just plunk themselves down in the Brockville area as it was mainly an area that catered to the Scottish. Several Scotish and Highland Regiments from the war of 1812 mustered out in the Kingston Brockville and Perth area's and these men became well established with land and businesses and made it possible for their friends and relatives from the old country to come and settle in the same area.

the 1851 Census was the first official census that I know of or have access to before that you have to have the individual church and parish registers to have any real evidence of birth and death records and getting access to those is nigh on impossible here.

Comment

Working...
        X