Child Poverty In The East End

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Child Poverty In The East End

Not sure if this is the right place but do have a look.

Pictures

There is one photograph of a boy outside a window that is similar to the famous MJK window.

These photographs give us valuable information about the Eastend especially the types of buildings, windows and doors around then.

Comment

What a shameful indictment of the political system.

Comment

?

Originally posted by Heinrich View Post
        What a shameful indictment of the political system.
        Which political system? Every country under every system had places like these, it's just that now we have advanced but many other countries have not - would you prefer to live under their system?

Comment

Hi Bob,
          These pics have been around for ages- it's obviously taken The Mail a while to dig them out again. There are some schools of thought that the photographer deliberatly posed a lot of the shots.
          However, they are great images nonetheless.
          'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

Those photos are quite late 1900s.when thing were getting a little better.

Earlier Barnardo had made photographic record of every child he rescued and certainly posed and ragged and dirtied them up a bit for before and after shots. later photographers did to.
            Barnardo did everything to publicise the condition of these children
            Overcrowding, untreated disease,stunted growth, abandonment, filth, lack of food, prostitution, The East End of Mayhew the 1860s,70s how to get that into a photo that opened People's wallets.
            Its like Don McCullen photographing war and famine in the 1960s.
            Miss Marple

Comment

Really?

Originally posted by miss marple View Post
              Those photos are quite late 1900s.when thing were getting a little better.

Miss Marple
              I'm assuming you mean late 1800's?

Comment

I should have put a comma after [late, 1900s when things were getting a little better]

Miss Marple

Comment

Punctuation

Originally posted by miss marple View Post
                  I should have put a comma after [late, 1900s when things were getting a little better]

Miss Marple
                  Just goes to show how the meaning of a sentence can be completely changed by missing a simple comma.

Here's one for you:
                  "Mary Kelly walked and talked half an hour after her throat was cut"

Place the comma where it makes sense!

Comment

Working...
                  X