The blood Countess?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The blood Countess?

Has anyone done research or looked into Elizabeth Báthory, the Blood Countess?

Recently I was reading about her and decided to start googling to find out more about her. Very interesting stuff. It seems there are researchers nowadays who believed she was framed in a conspiracy. They make some valid points so I don't know what to believe.

Some of the points they make are the fact she was one of the most educated women in the 16th century. That alone was dangerous. The king owed a huge amount of money to her for loans and she was petitioning for him to repay her. Being a woman of high wealth and influence she had a lot of power which was dangerous for a woman in her time. Her own son in law was trying to steal her lands and title from her. She had a child out of wedlock at age 13 and it seems this alone made her daughter of Satan. IMO this doesn't make a lot of sense and I wonder if she was possibly a victim of incest. Records show the father to be some peasant but if she thought she was so high above in station (snob) and dehumanized peasants why would she involve herself with one? Her father was famous for his cruelty and her mother died when she was very young. But that is only MY thoughts but from what we know of history ..it wouldn't have been the first time something like that happened.

Her crimes were stuff of horror movies and legends. Most of the legends have been proven false. When her servants testified against her ~ the one servant who refused to had her eyes poked out, her fingers cut off along with her breast and burnt at the stake. That would be incentive enough for me to lie and say she was a spawn of a demon

I think the conspiracy theory has merit but I am not sure who is more accurate. Any thoughts? If you have never read about her I suggest glancing at her bio as she was an extremely interesting character in history.

the most important conspiracy ~ I almost forgot!

She was a Protestants and a big supporter. The Catholic Church was the first to issue charges against her.

Comment

Ah The Hell Cat Of The Carpathians. It's a tricky one. I've read the McNally/Florescu book about her and one other I can't remember the title of.
      There is so little contempory information about her that at this distance it's almost impossible to work out what really happened.There certainly could have been political aspects to it.

I like to think that hidden away in an archive somewhere there might be some more information

Comment

In my eyes it was a conspiracy, just like mister Gilles de Rais

Comment

This looks interesting

Comment

Great find Belinda!

I don't know about this conspiracy thing. I think its a combination to be honest. Back then in that locale, people were tortured and killed on a regular basis by the nobility. I guess since they didn't have cable tv they entertained themselves in other ways. Did she punish, torture and kill peasants? If she didn't she would have been the only one who didnt. Heck even the investigators (the "good guys") tortured all of the witnesses into talking. One of the witnesses who refused to testify had both eyes poked out, her breast cut off and was burned at the stake... and I repeat THEY WERE THE GOOD GUYS.

I think she was probably what we would call a sadist. She did her share of disciplining servants and most likely a few died in her dungeons. That was the norm however for their society. Are you a serial killer if everyone else around you is one too? In that context I think her arrest was politically motivated. We also know how legend and lore can get twisted and moved and the story become bigger then it really is.

Comment

Working...
            X