The Big,fat Unsolved British Murder File

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Big,fat Unsolved British Murder File

If Barry George did not kill Jill Dando, then who did?. Evidence in the form of gun shot residue, or what was presumed to gun shot residue, which was detected in the accused mans pocket, was later declared unsafe and George was released. A triumph for the appeal system, but was it a victory for the truth?.
    Last edited by Scorpio; 05-04-2011, 03:24 PM.
    SCORPIO

It is strongly rumoured that Miss Dando was killed by some East European gangsters in response to something the BBC did or reported that offended them but I can't put my hands on the report I read just now. I certainly seriously doubt it was poor Mr George.

No doubt others will have ideas of their own.

A good idea for a thread.

Comment

Hi Limehouse....did you mean this?

Cheers,
      cappuccina

"Don't make me get my flying monkeys!"

Comment

Sorry Caps. Couldn't open the page - but thanks for posting.

Comment

Not unlike Aaron Kosminski, George has a sympathetic reputation, and is considered by many as a harmless oddity and busybody. However, There are elements of his history that suggest a darker and more complex persona.
          Last edited by Scorpio; 05-04-2011, 10:46 PM.
          SCORPIO

Comment

...I'm sorry about that, Limehouse...it works for me, which is odd because it is The Sunday Times....anyway, here's an excerpt:

"Serb 'admits killing Jill Dando' in revenge for Nato bombs

David Leppard

SCOTLAND YARD is studying new information which has revived the theory that the BBC television presenter Jill Dando was murdered by a Serbian hitman.

Detectives have been told a West Midlands petty criminal of Serbian descent boasted of Dando’s killing, which he claimed was an act of revenge for the bombing of Belgrade by Nato in 1999, during a drinking session at a bar in the Serbian capital.

The man is said to have stood up and taken a theatrical bow and been applauded for the killing during the session at the upmarket Portobello bar in central Belgrade in September 2001. His alleged confession is said to have taken place in front of more than 10 people.

Officers from the Metropolitan police homicide squad are examining the new evidence, which originated with a tip-off to the Crimestoppers hotline last month, as part of their review of the files of Operation Oxborough, which investigated Dando’s death. Two further witnesses said last week they were also present at the alleged confession..."
            Cheers,
            cappuccina

"Don't make me get my flying monkeys!"

Comment

Thanks Cap. That's the story I was looking for.

Comment

Barry George

Originally posted by Scorpio View Post
                Not unlike Aaron Kosminski, George has a sympathetic reputation, and is considered by many as a harmless oddity and busybody. However, There are elements of his history that suggest a darker and more complex persona.

I don’t believe that these so called darker elements of George’s past actually existed.
                1. Pictures of Jill Dando found in his flat. Police made a big thing about the number of articles and pictures about Jill Dando were found in his flat. Technically true but what they didn’t push too hard was that Georges flat was full of old newspapers etc, and the pictures and articles were found by trawling through a mountain of newsprint.

2. George had a penchant for stalking women and photographing them. Police say they found hundreds of photographs of women in his flat. What they actually found was undeveloped film which contained some pictures of women. I defy anyone to take a roll of film in a street and not have at least some frames containing women. The fact that the films were undeveloped show that it wasn’t a high priority for him.

3. Photographs of him in weird semi military clothing. This famous or infamous picture was taken years before the murder and showed someone wearing a gas mask holding something that could have been a toy pistol. Hardly damning evidence.

4. The so called residue in his pocket was laughable. Any half way competent barrister should have challenged that, especially since the police cocked up magnificently when having the photos taken.

And so on. The case against him was weak to the point of non existence. I spoke to an acquaintance who was the crime reporter for a major daily newspaper and he said that when the jury retired they all went down the local pub to write up the “Barry George Acquitted” story as none of them thought there could be any other verdict. They were astounded when someone rushed in to tell them he had been found guilty.

The editorial in the Telegraph shows just how unlikely his guilt was. Even Jill Dando’s colleague on Crimewatch (I forget his name now) was visibly shocked at the verdict when interviewed straight after the trial.

I personally don’t believe the story about a Serb hitman; I think that was just the drink talking. If the Serbs or any other group had done it they would shout it from the rooftops. You don’t kill someone to make a point then keep quiet about it – otherwise who would get the point?

I have personally formed my own opinion as to what happened and it hasn’t changed. I went on the record years ago and said Barry George did not do it and I stick by that, that was just after he had been convicted and well before his release.

Comment

Apparently,the pistol, or the ammunition in that pistol, was not of a kind used by the military or organised criminals.
                  SCORPIO

Comment

Working...
                  X