Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Duration of the inquest into the death of Mary Jane Kelly (?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duration of the inquest into the death of Mary Jane Kelly (?)

Hi all,
    Trying to get a clearer picture of the start and duration of the inquest into Mary Jane Kelly’s death, I have sifted through a lot of newspapers dealing the subject. The following is what I found:

Coroner Macdonald opens the inquest at 11 a.m. (Pall Mall Gazette, Times and Irish Times of 12 November, Illustrated Police News of 17 November). According to the Echo of 12 November it was “not opened until some time after, when the Court was mainly occupied by the Jury and newspaper representatives.”

He shortly addresses the jury and sets the record straight about where the inquest should take place.

The jury is sworn in.

Then Abberline takes the jury to view the body and the scene of the crime. It takes them nearly 45 minutes (Evening News, 12 November) or nearly an hour (Times, 13 November 1888) to return back to the town hall. According to the Star of 12 November it “was thus close upon twelve o‘clock before any evidence was taken.”

Barnett is sworn in.

The coroner addresses the press about the matter of jurisdiction.

Barnett starts his deposition.

The coroner receives a note from Dr. Phillips, asking if he should attend to-day to give his evidence. The Coroner thinks he should just give them roughly an idea of the cause of death, leaving the details of his evidence for a future day, and dispatches a message to that effect.

Bowyer (shortly interrupted by Inspector Ledger, G Division with regards to the plan of MJK’s room), McCarthy, Cox, Prater, Maxwell, Lewis and Dr. Phillips follow.

Then the inquest is adjourned for a luncheon. According to the Times of 13 November this took "a few minutes".

The coroner then inquires if, during the adjournment, somebody has spoken to the jury, saying that they should not be there today. That had come to his ears during the interval, but the jury disclaims having heard any such remarks. (Daily News and Times of 13 November)

Then the depositions of Venturney, Harvey, Inspectors Beck and Abbeline follow.

After a brief deliberation the jury comes to the conclusion that the inquest doesn’t need to be adjourned and the coroner concludes the inquest. (Daily News, 13 November)

The sequence of points 5, 6 & 7 is given as such by the Star of 12 November.

To get a clear picture, I attach the following number of minutes to the points above, if they’re not already mentioned by the papers:
    • Points 1, 2 & 3 taken together: 30 minutes
    • Point 4 took 45 minutes to an hour, so let’s suppose 60 minutes
    • Point 5 & 6 together: 5 minutes
    • Point 8 : 3 minutes
    • Point 10 took ‘a few minutes’, so let’s suppose 10 minutes
    • Point 11: 3 minutes
    • Point 13: 10 minutes
    This is a total of 121 minutes, but let’s round it off to 125.

If we suppose that, on average, the taking of a deposition lasted about 15 minutes, then the taking of all the depositions took about 180 minutes. That makes a total of 305 minutes, or 5 hours and 5 minutes, which would mean that the inquest ended at 4.05 o’clock in the afternoon.

Of course, anybody can fill in the number of minutes per point that they think are reasonable.

All the best,
    Frank
    "You can rob me, you can starve me and you can beat me and you can kill me. Just don't bore me."
    Clint Eastwood as Gunny in "Heartbreak Ridge"

NIce stuff, but let's suppose that depositions took 30-45 minutes. We might have Abberline coming back from the Inquest while Badham's beginning the statement. 5 hours for an inquest seems awfully short to me.

Mike
    Last edited by The Good Michael; 03-12-2011, 08:46 PM.
    huh?

Comment

True Mike, but an hour would not be in rhime with what the Times said: "a few minutes". I will see if I can find more newspaper articles that refer to the adjournment after Phillips' testimony.

Frank
      "You can rob me, you can starve me and you can beat me and you can kill me. Just don't bore me."

Comment

Originally posted by The Good Michael View Post
        NIce stuff, but let's suppose that depositions took 30-45 minutes.
        Like I said, you can do as you see fit, Mike. However, 30 minutes per witness seems a long time to me, especially for witnesses like McCarthy, Venturney, Harvey, Beck - let alone 45 minutes. That even seems too long to me for Barnett and Phillips.

Frank
        Last edited by FrankO; 03-12-2011, 09:01 PM.

Comment

Frank,

Thanks for putting this together. It's difficult to create a decent timeline. You may be right about the deposition times. Reading the Star's report which is detailed at the front end, but then tapers off into rambling, we can cut off some time by beginning at about 12 when Barnet was sworn in.

I'll cut and paste something for me. If I see anything that might affect your ideas, I'll post it.

Cheers,'

Mike
          huh?

Comment

You're welcome, Mike. You, or anybody else, might want to read the following newspapers in order to get a decent timeline/ picture.

Of 12 November: Echo, Evening News, Pall Mall Gazette & Star
            Of 13 November: Daily News, Daily Telegraph, Irish Times & Times.
            Of 17 November: Illustrated Police News

Meanwhile, I've found another referance to the break after Phillips' testimony. It's in the Irish Times of 13 November and reads:
            "The Coroner said he proposed to continue taking evidence for another hour.
            The jury wished to adjourn for some time.
            The Coroner replied that he would resume in a quarter of an hour."

And if you'll find anything that might influence my ideas, I'll gladly read it.

Cheers,
            Frank

Comment

Frank,

I estimated a quarter of an hour and played a bit with each witness giving them anywhere from 10-25 minutes and I came out to just about 5 o'clock. Still, I've never been to a Victorian inquest and just don't have a clue about how long there might be between witnesses and having smoke breaks and what kind of protocol was followed. It seems between 4:30 and 5:00 is usable, but who really knows.

Mike
              huh?

Comment

Hi Mike,

Obviously, I've never been to a Victorian inquest either, or any other for that matter, so I invite anyone with more knowledge on the subject to fill in some of the blanks we have on the matter of smoke breaks & protocol.

What I do know, however, is that coroner Macdonald didn't want to waste anyones time. And I don't know at what time the evening papers came out, but the inquest ended in time for them to carry the coverage of the inquest.

Cheers,
                Frank

Comment

Frank,

I concur that MacDonald wanted it to not go too long, probably to keep Baxter away. There was a book written called "the inquest of the last Ripper Victim Mary Kelly" (or something like that). It's supposed to have the official inquest report in it. I have a feeling that 'official' doesn't mean we will have any times given for the closure of the inquest. Still, maybe someone has a copy and can post what the text says.

Cheers,

Mike
                  huh?

Comment

Originally posted by The Good Michael View Post
                    It's supposed to have the official inquest report in it. I have a feeling that 'official' doesn't mean we will have any times given for the closure of the inquest. Still, maybe someone has a copy and can post what the text says.
                    Thanks for the tip, Mike. However, if that's the same inquest report as in The Ultimate JtR Sourcebook by Stewart & Skinner, which I suspect they are, then they don't contain any times as to the opening and closure of the inquest. Bummer.

Cheers,
                    Frank

Comment

tempus fugit

Hello Frank and Michael. Lovely idea for a thread.

My suggestion is to compare MJK's inquest to some of the other victims--in particular, Polly and Annie's. Notice the HUGE difference?

I recall that, as a younger professor, I had stopped a lecture just a few minutes short? Why? It occurred to me that there was a difficult question lurking which I may not be able to answer fully if asked. Now extrapolate.

Cheers.
                      LC

Comment

The jury were not out for long and the final part of the inquest seems rushed - which suggest to me that it ended near enough at 5 pm. The coroner clearly didn't want to come back another day.

There would be a gap between each witness. There would have been legal musings that are not recorded. There would have been pauses while questions were framed in the coroners mind. This case was interrupted several times by points of order.
                        I was coincidentally calculating when Lewis would have testified and worked back from a 5 pm end time - and came up with 3.30 pm ish.
                        I think that is a fair ball park time.

Comment

Originally posted by FrankO View Post
                          Thanks for the tip, Mike. However, if that's the same inquest report as in The Ultimate JtR Sourcebook by Stewart & Skinner, which I suspect they are, then they don't contain any times as to the opening and closure of the inquest. Bummer.

Cheers,
                          Frank
                          Quite correct Frank, authors are typically being over generous when they identify Bond's report as 'The Official Inquest Report', it was actually nothing of the sort.

The official Post-mortem report was the jurisdiction of Dr. Phillips. Etiqette required that only by the invite of Dr. Phillips were other doctors allowed to be present.
                          Needless to say, the official post-mortem by Dr. Phillips has not survived.
                          If you need a contemporary example of how exhaustive Dr. Phillips was in his reports I should direct you to the post-mortem of Alice McKenzie (Ultimate JtR, pp. 455-460).

Bond's report is only a summary of the scene at Miller's Court where the preliminary examination was conducted. The official post-mortem was conducted at the local mortuary headed by Dr. Phillips.
                          Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by Lechmere View Post
                            I was coincidentally calculating when Lewis would have testified and worked back from a 5 pm end time - and came up with 3.30 pm ish.
                            I think that is a fair ball park time.
                            Hi Lechmere,

Thanks for your response. Even though I have no problem with 5 pm, I would be interested to know what times you’d end up with for Lewis and the closure of the inquest if you’d start from the beginning. Right now it seems as though you just say: oh, 5 pm seems like a good time to me, so now lets work our way back to when Lewis would have ended her deposition. But would you end up with 3.30 and 5 pm as well if you started calculating from the other side, the beginning?

Even though the Star of 12 November had it “close upon twelve o‘clock before any evidence was taken”, just to be on the safe side, I’d put the time that Barnett started his deposition closer to half past twelve - after he was sworn in, after the coroner addressed the press about the matter of jurisdiction.

All the best,
                            Frank

Comment

A fascinating study of the likely duration of the inquest, Frank, and an excellent idea for a thread! Suffice to say I agree entirely with your suggestions.

All the best,
                              Ben

Comment

Working...
                              X