Came across this book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Came across this book

While searching on the web I came across this book, "The Worst Street in London" by Fiona Rule. It should be out in September.

It deals with the history of Dorset Street starting in the 17th century and chronicles its decent into poverty and crime and will discuss the three murders committed there (Mary Jane Kelly, Mary Ann Austin, and Kitty Ronan).
    Jeff

Ooohh, this looks EXTREMELY interesting.

Nice find, Pinkerton.

JB

Comment

Thanks for the heads-up. Interesting indeed...
      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

I agree - that was a really interesting addition to the field. A shame it isn't available until September (although it might fit my waller better), but I definitely will look out for this one. A very interesting subject!

All the best
        The Swedes are the Men that Will not Be Blamed for Nothing

Comment

If I remember right, Fiona has made several important contributions to this website. Should be good.

Robert

Comment

I was just going to set up a thread on this.

Looks very interesting indeed. I think I will get me one.

Heres the blurb....

....Halfway up Commercial Street, one block away from Spitalfields Market, lies an anonymous service road. The average pedestrian wouldn’t even notice it existed. But unlikely though it may seem, this characterless, 400ft strip of tarmac was once Dorset Street – the most notorious thoroughfare in the Capital; the worst street in London and the resort of Protestant fire-brands, thieves, con-men, pimps, prostitutes and murderers, most notably Jack the Ripper. Spitalfields as a whole is now a vibrant and fashionable place to live, work and play; the home of artists and artisans, just as it was when the Huguenots settled there. However, as dusk falls, the seemingly indelible, sordid side of this fascinating part of London begins to emerge once again as the unknowing descendants of Mary Kelly, Mary Ann Austin and Kitty Ronan and others begin to ply their trade around the hallowed walls of Christ Church. All signs of Dorset Street, ' the worst street in London', may all but have disappeared from the map but its legacy is too powerful to ever be entirely erased. This book chronicles the rise and fall of this remarkable street, from its promising beginnings at the centre of the 17th Century silk weaving industry through its gradual descent into iniquity, vice and violence to its final demise at the hands of the demolition men. Its remarkable history gives a fascinating insight into an area of London that has, from its initial development, been a cultural melting pot – the place where many thousands of immigrants became Londoners. It also tells the story of a part of London that, until quite recently, was largely left to fend for itself, with truly horrifying results. This title has not yet been published. It is currently scheduled to appear in September 2008
            Attached Files
            Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

This looks like a good read, I love the front cover, must put it on my Amazon wish list!
              Regards Mike

Comment

Quite out of the blue I have been sent an 'uncorrected manuscripted proof'.

My initial reaction is that it looks and reads very well. This 'proof 'copy has no photos and no index (something that Jeremy Beadle would have hated). But saying that - it is only a 'proof' copy - maybe they will be added later.

Will let you know what I think a bit later.

Coral

Comment

Hi Coral

I have several proofs of predominantly text-based books, and none of them have images in the copies, even when the eventual book DOES. The exceptions to that are the ones I've done! I expect they'll be in one or two central sections. I'm sure SPE can elucidate further on common practice.

I mean, just LOOK at that cover. Someone's spilt ink all over it.

Wouldn't it be just amazing for new images to appear? I'm not holding my breath, but I'm liking the premise of this one. It can join all the other books I love but haven't read properly!

PHILIP
                  Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

Hi all

Yes there will be photographs and an index in the finished version. The copy Coral has is a review copy.

I'm glad you like the cover!

Kind regards
                    Fiona (Rule)

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                      If I remember right, Fiona has made several important contributions to this website. Should be good.

Robert
                      Hi Robert,

I am sure you are right and I recall Fiona making some interesting and helpful posts on the old boards, so I shall be looking forward to publication of her book.

Rgds
                      John

Comment

Hi Fiona

Many thanks for having the book sent to me.

I started reading it last night and am really enjoying your style of writing.

Just wish my Boss would disappear for a couple of hours!

As well as photos & an index, I also hope it will have some old maps.

Coral

Comment

Hi Coral

Yes there will be maps and also a walk if anyone is feeling energetic!

Glad you're enjoying it so far. Try and persuade your boss to have a long meeting or something!

Kind regards
                          Fiona

Comment

That's a definant for my (groaning) bookshelf

Comment

I have just returned from a 2 week holiday in Greece. I NEVER take factual books on holiday but this time I did. Having started Fiona's book before my departure I could not leave it behind and I certainly wasnt disappointed.

A wonderful read which brings the area of Dorset Street and its environs to life from its beginnings to its final demise. And not to forget the characters who lived, or should I say 'existed', there.

Who would think that a dingy street in the East End could have so much history. I know more about Dorset Street than I do about the road I live in.

As you can tell, I thoroughly recommend it. I'm looking forward to seeing the final publication with the pictures, maps & index.

Congratulations, Fiona, you should be proud of yourself.

Coral

Comment

Working...
                              X