Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Henry Birch

Informant.

Henry Birch was the proprietor of a milk-stand in the yard of Number 2, Little Turner street, Commercial Road. He claimed to have sold a glass of milk to a "frightened", suspicious-looking man on the night after the Polly Nichols murder. His story appeared in The Star:

Not later than a quarter-past eleven a man stepped hurriedly into a yard entrance at No. 2, Little Turner-street, Commercial-road. On one side of the yard is a milk stand. The man asked for a glass of milk, and, when served, drank it hurriedly, then, looking about in a frightened manner, asked if he might step back into the yard. The proprietor, Henry Birch, did not object, but presently, his suspicions being aroused, he stepped towards the man and found him drawing on a suit of new overalls over his ordinary clothes. The pants were already on, and he was stooping to take a jacket from a black shiny bag that lay at his feet when Birch stepped up to him. He seemed to be very much upset by the interruption, and for a moment could not speak. Presently he said, "That was a terrible murder last night, was'nt it?" and before Birch could answer he had added, "I think I've got a clue," and, snatching up his bag, he disappeared down the street. Mr. Birch then thought he might be a detective, adopting a disguise for some purpose, but the police believe he was the man who assaulted the woman in Cambridge Heath-road, and that he donned the overalls to mislead anyone who might be tracing him. They have the name of the woman referred to, and her description tallies with that given by Birch of his mysterious caller. The clothing was described as a blue serge suit, and a stiff but low hat. He wore a stand-up collar and a watch-chain. He wore no beard, but a slight dark moustache and his face was evidently sunburnt. Birch says he thought he was a seafaring man, or one who had recently made a long voyage. When he got the overalls on he had the appearance of an engineer. Many points of this description correspond so well to that given of the man who made such pointed inquiries about women at the Nuns Head Tavern, Aldgate, last Saturday night, and also to another description the police have received, that they are inclined to connect the man with the latest murders.[1]

Few newspapers picked up the story, and no mention of Birch is found among surviving police reports. The reference to the man seen at the "Nuns Head Tavern" most likely refers to the description of a man seen at the "Three Nuns Hotel" by Albert Bachert on the night of 30 September 1888.
    [edit]
    References

1. ↑ The Star, 6 October 1888

Found this here in the witnesses section. Not sure if who he saw was really JTR, however I was curious if anyone had any info on Henry Birch. I think it's possible that he was one of my ancestors. Right now all I have to go on is the name, so obviously I can't really be certain of anything. Anything to go on would be great.

Good evening Patutte and welcome to the Casebook discussion group. He may be your ancestor? Okay. I found him and his family in the 1881 census.

Henry BIRCH, born 1845 at Watford, Hertford, England. Age 36, Occupation Dairyman. Dwelling 2 Little Turner Street, London, Middlesex, England

Household:
    Name Relation Marital Status Gender Age Birthplace Occupation Disability
    Harriet BIRCH
    Wife M Female 37 Blackfriars, Surrey, England
    George BIRCH
    Son U Male 15 Hoxton Packing Case Maker
    Harriet BIRCH
    Daur U Female 13 Hoxton Scholar
    Mary A. BIRCH
    Daur Female 9 St Georges East Scholar
    Alice BIRCH
    Daur Female 7 St Georges East Scholar
    William BIRCH
    Son Male 5 St Georges East Scholar
    Reuben BIRCH
    Son Male 4 St Georges East

I can't go any further, because the '81 is the only census I have access to (because it's free!) Hope this helps you get started.

Roy
    Sink the Bismark

Comment

Thanks for the help.

I did a little searching earlier on http://www.thegenealogist.co.uk. I got 25 free credits to use on files. I used 9 on 3 separate files. I thought maybe one of them could be him, but with that info you just posted, none of the them were. That's ok though, I still got 16 credits left, and with this new info, I could probably find out quite a bit. Thanks again, this will definitely be very useful.

This may be a stupid question and I might regret asking, but..Is it possible that the family changed the last name from Birch to Brich over the years? There's been several times when people have pronounced my name as Birch when it's spelled Brich. Not sure if that means anything (probably not). Brich doesn't seem to be a very common surname, so I've always wondered if it use to be Birch.

That was one of reasons I considered him being a possible ancestor (Yeah it sounds a little silly). The other reason was because of his first name. My middle name is Henry, as is my father's, and I believe his father as well. Probably a even sillier reason then the last name, but I figured what could it hurt to look into. Will post any new info I find.

Comment

Working...
      X