More than two photos?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More than two photos?

I was listening to one of the Rippercast Podcasts on my BlackBerry the other day and could have sworn I heard brief mention of there being more than two crime scene photos of the ghastly business in Miller's Court that went missing? Is that true that the photographer took more than the two that are known? I don't particularly want to view this scene again from any angle, but it might lead to more clues on the murderer.

Originally posted by DracIsBack View Post
    I was listening to one of the Rippercast Podcasts on my BlackBerry the other day and could have sworn I heard brief mention of there being more than two crime scene photos of the ghastly business in Miller's Court that went missing? Is that true that the photographer took more than the two that are known? I don't particularly want to view this scene again from any angle, but it might lead to more clues on the murderer.
    There was more photos taken, but they have been lost unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by Garza View Post
      There was more photos taken, but they have been lost unfortunately.
      In a 1999 interview with Stewart Evans here on casebook (http://www.casebook.org/authors/inte..._evans.2.html), he says this:

"An intriguing footnote to all this was that on meeting Eric Barton at his home I found it to be a veritable "Aladdin's Cave." In telling the story of his purchase, Eric revealed that also with Sims' letters was a full set of the crime scene photos of Miller's Court and Mary Jane Kelly! He had never sold them and they were still in his home somewhere. I kept in contact with Eric hoping that he would find these photos which he said I could have. Unfortunately Eric died before the photographs were located."

It could be that Mr. Barton had just the two known MJK pictures, or indeed that there were others. The latter possibility cannot be ruled out.

JB

Comment

Originally posted by John Bennett View Post
        In a 1999 interview with Stewart Evans here on casebook (http://www.casebook.org/authors/inte..._evans.2.html), he says this:

"An intriguing footnote to all this was that on meeting Eric Barton at his home I found it to be a veritable "Aladdin's Cave." In telling the story of his purchase, Eric revealed that also with Sims' letters was a full set of the crime scene photos of Miller's Court and Mary Jane Kelly! He had never sold them and they were still in his home somewhere. I kept in contact with Eric hoping that he would find these photos which he said I could have. Unfortunately Eric died before the photographs were located."

It could be that Mr. Barton had just the two known MJK pictures, or indeed that there were others. The latter possibility cannot be ruled out.

JB
        After Eric died, what the search still called off?!? If they were lying about in his home, presumely they were still there when he died. Did Stewart Evans not contact the family?

Originally posted by Garza
        There were more photos taken, but they have been lost unfortunately.
        Good lord my English is terrible.

Comment

Eric Barton

I believe that I have posted this information before, but as the question has arisen again here goes.

Eric Barton was very au fait with the standard Ripper books and was aware of the published photographs of Miller's Court. He was certain that amongst those he had purchased with the Sims' collection were more than one which had never been published.

His search for these photographs proved fruitless and he believed, in the end, that his son must have sold them. However, his son had no knowledge of these images. Here is his last mention of the 'Ripper photographs' in a 1994 letter.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ebartonletter.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	661535
          SPE

Treat me gently I'm a newbie.

Comment

Working...
          X