Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A New Tumblety Article Find?

Greetings all,

There is a Tumblety article posted on Ripper Writers that I have never seen before. Is this a new find? Two of the experienced ripperologists pointed out that even though the Farmer incident is not considered a JTR case, it does assist in the timeline for Tumblety's arrest and escape. Also, it speaks of him being in custody and the Scotland Yard suspicions of Tumblety before the Farmer attack.

Bridgeport Morning News (Connecticut), Nov. 22, 1888

IS IT ANOTHER?

NEW YORK, Nov. 21 – A special to The Evening World from London says:
    “Another Whitechapel murder was attempted in George-street, a short distance from the scene of the last horror, this morning. A man and woman had spent the night in the latter’s room. At 9 0’clock in the morning the fellow attacked the woman fiercely with a long, sharp knife, and succeeded in inflicting a frightful gash in her throat.
    “The woman struggled desperately and succeeded in raising such an alarm that the man failed to complete his work and was obliged to run away.
    “He was seen running by three men who lived in a lodging house near at hand, and they promptly started in pursuit of him. The fellow threaded his way adroitly through the crowd, and choosing his course among the narrow streets and alleys with a quickness which proved his thorough familiarity with the locality, he successfully eluded his pursuers and finally disappeared.
    “From the brief glimpses that the pursuing men caught, while following him, the fellow was only vaguely seen to be well dressed and to have a light mustache.
    “There is little doubt in the minds of the police that this man who has escaped is the same who has committed the whole series of Whitechapel crimes. If so, he has now scored his first failure, for the woman’s wound, though severe, is not reported as probably involving a fatal result. She may recover and be able to furnish a description or a further clew which will lead to the apprehension of the man.
    Coming at a time when people were beginning to think that the Dr. Twomblety now in custody might really prove to be the Whitechapel fiend, this morning’s affair has renewed all the old excitement, and the bewildered Londoners are helplessly wringing their hands and wondering if the horrors will never be brought to a stop. What effect this may have upon Twomblety’s case, and whether he will still be held by the authorities, can be only a matter of conjecture. It would, however, seem to be only a proper precaution for the police department to fully investigate all the circumstances in this new emergency before giving the doctor his liberty.
    “The woman has recovered sufficiently to tell something of the man who wounded her. She says he is about 30 years old, tall, fair and wearing a light mustache. He was well dressed, spoke with a purely English accent, and from his conversation was evidently well acquainted with Whitechapel and the habits of women there.
    “The name of the intended victim is Farmer. From the information which she has given, the police have gained new confidence and believe now that they can run the murderer down. Hundreds of people flocked to the locality when the news of the affair spread, as it did rapidly; but the police took charge of the premises immediately and allowed no one to leave or enter the house.
    “According to the woman’s story, the man had seized her and struck her once in the throat with a knife. She had struggled desperately and had succeeded in freeing herself from the man’s grasp, and had screamed for help. Her cries had alarmed the man, and he had fled without attempting any further violence. Some of the neighbors who had heard the woman’s screams followed the murderer for about 300 yards, when he disappeared from their sight. The woman says she is fully able to identify the man, and gave a description of him to the police. The police are hopeful of soon capturing him.”

Sincerely,

Mike
    Last edited by mklhawley; 12-11-2010, 01:11 PM.
    The Ripper's Haunts/JtR Suspect Dr. Francis Tumblety (Sunbury Press)
    http://www.michaelLhawley.com

I haven't seen that before Mike

It seems quite significant to me as it does imply that Tumblety was indeed a valid contemporary Ripper suspect

Thanks for posting it

Regards

Nemo

Comment

Originally posted by Nemo View Post
      I haven't seen that before Mike

It seems quite significant to me as it does imply that Tumblety was indeed a valid contemporary Ripper suspect

Thanks for posting it

Regards

Nemo
      Hi Nemo,

The defiinition of custody is:"The state of being detained or held under guard, especially by the police". The fact that Tumblety had to pay bail, does that not suggest he was in custody, as opposed to merely being arrested?

Sincerely,

Mike

Comment

The reason I bring this up is because there are many U.S. articles just previous to this and at the same time pointing out that Tumblety was merely "arrested" and not "in custody". Is there actually a conflict or are they merely focusing upon two different events? Being arrested for complicity is a significant event, which other articles focused upon. Before one is in custody, does one not have to be arrested first? The Bridgeport News focused upon Tumblety's custody, because the Farmer incident was believed to occur AFTER his arrest but during his custody. Again, if he were merely arrested and PROVED innocent, then why would there be the requirement of a bail?

Sincerely,

Mike

Comment

The article does, however, take Tumblety out of the equation according to Farmer's testimony.

Mike
          huh?

Comment

Originally posted by The Good Michael View Post
            The article does, however, take Tumblety out of the equation according to Farmer's testimony.

Mike
            Hi Good Michael,

I have two points. First, if this is true, Tumblety was in the equation in the first place, i.e., he was a serious suspect in the eyes of Scotland Yard. Also, the only reason why Tumblety might have been taken out of the equation was because of the Farmer incident. Since it did not fly, Tumblety should never have been taken out in the first place. The Farmer incident has no bearing upon Tumblety.

Sincerely,

Mike

Comment

The farmer incident has bearing upon Tumblety with respects to that incident. That's all I was saying. As far as him being JTR, I'm not speaking to that.

Mike
              huh?

Comment

I gotcha. It takes me a while to get it sometimes.

Mike

Comment

For anyone who is interested, a thread was made on the JTRForums this morning on this topic.

Here is the link:

By the way, good find my friend.
                  Washington Irving:

"To a homeless man, who has no spot on this wide world which he can truly call his own, there is a momentary feeling of something like independence and territorial consequence, when, after a weary day's travel, he kicks off his boots, thrusts his feet into slippers, and stretches himself before an inn fire. Let the world without go as it may; let kingdoms rise and fall, so long as he has the wherewithal to pay his bills, he is, for the time being, the very monarch of all he surveys. The arm chair in his throne; the poker his sceptre, and the little parlour of some twelve feet square, his undisputed empire. "

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

Hi Corey,

It looks like I answered How Brown's point. I hope he gets it.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                    X