Pastor Jack Gibson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pastor Jack Gibson

Does anyone have any information on Jack Gibson other than this? I used to have a lot of research on him, and can't seem to find any of it anymore.

I appreciate your help.

Hi Rebecca,

Although your links allude to the book, I'm not sure whether you have read:
    Robert Graysmith, The Bell Tower: the Case of JtR Finally Solved...in San Francisco. Washington, DC: Regnery, 1999. ISBN 0-89526-324-6.

As far as I know, it's still the best book about "Jack" Gibson.

Comment

I have not read it, but I appreciate it! I have not even heard of it. It is solely based on him being the 'Ripper'? Or is it more of he is mentioned in an excerpt or something?

I would really appreciate knowing about the book.

Comment

I read it out of the library years ago and it is about him being the Ripper.
        This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Hi Rebecca.

The book is one part history of San Francisco and the San Francisco newspapers wars (including a biography of William Randolph Hearst); one part look at the “Daemon in the Bell Tower” murder case, which Theo Durant was tried and executed for, and one part identification of Gibson as Jack the Ripper.

Greysmith’s theory is that Gibson was both the Ripper and the bell tower murderer and that Durant was innocent. The bits about San Francisco and the bell tower murders are excellent. Unfortunately the bits about the Ripper are unconvincing and poorly done with many errors in facts. A good read but a bad Ripper book.

Wolf.

Comment

Rebecca,

Wolf has said what I would have said (although not as well) had I got here earlier. The JtR connection in the book is weakly argued, but it's still worth reading. Greysmith has a very nice style.

Comment

Working...
            X