The Secret Book of Judas of Kerioth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Secret Book of Judas of Kerioth

I was reading Sex and Rockets: The Occult World of Jack Parsons by John Carter, when I came across something interesting in the introduction by Robert Anton Wilson. I think the best thing to do here is quote Mr. Wilson directly. "In 1986 researchers found another 2000 year old manuscript near the Nag Hammadi caves were the dead sea scrolls had come to light. Translated in to English by Mohamed al Murtada and Francis Bendik under the title The Secret Book of Judas kerioth, this text depicts Jesus as the bisexual lover of both Mary Magdalene and St. John, and also describes the last supper as an entheogenic sacrament involving magic mushrooms.It has an introduction and running commentary by Dr. Maxwell Selander of Briggs Melton Theological Seminary and you can get a copy from Abrasax books in Corpus Christi, Texas".

After a quick check of the internet all I could find was this.

The Gospel of Judas of Keiroth_ published circa 1985. It was published by a Gnostic organisation in Texas (Dallas?). I can not find exact citations for the latter on either Amazon.com, nor using Google. Jonathon

That's good to know. I was unaware of this, and, as part of Theopedia's vision, we hope to provide quality information and research, so we'll try and find out more on this. If we find anything we'll be sure to add in a section. Thanks for the heads up, JordanBarrett (talk) 16:44, 4 June 2006 (PDT)
    Here is a link which mentions "a newly translated Gnostic gospel entitled The Secret Book of Judas of Kerioth" (which name simply means Judas Iscariot). [1] This is apparently a reference to the the current Gospel of Judas, which has been extant since the mid-eighties, but not translated. This appears to be a rash of BS by Gnostic Friends speculating on the contents. To the best of my searches, there is no Maxwell Selander (supposed translator) nor any legitimate Briggs-Melton Seminary. Gomarus 05:11, 5 June 2006 (PDT)
    I've looked and looked as well, and the only link I could come up with was the one Jim already posted above. Sorry. Do you have any other info about it other than "Kerioth" and it was in "1985"?

So now I'm left wondering, is this an old internet hoax, that Robert Anton Wilson got hooked by or is there more to it. Any information would be greatly appreciated

Originally posted by Doug Irvine View Post
    "In 1986 researchers found another 2000 year old manuscript near the Nag Hammadi caves were the dead sea scrolls had come to light. ...
    If it's any help, Nag Hammadi is in Egypt, and therefore obviously nowhere near the Dead Sea.

Comment

Working...
    X