Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing Memorandum 2

Hello all,

On the Missing memorandum thread, it seems some posts are now missing too! (Yeah, ironic..hahaha) Files and posts going missing in the 21st C perhaps? LOL

I tried to post on the Simon Wood's Missing Memorandum thread, but to my surprise found it "closed". I have contacted Simon Wood, who knows nothing about this.

Is it just my computer playing up or are there general problems on Casebook?

best wishes

Phil
    Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
    Accountability? ....

I would imagine it was closed based on it's content. I should take that as a warning. Dave
    We are all born cute as a button and dumb as rocks. We grow out of cute fast!

Comment

It's not your computer, Phil. The thread is closed all right.

Best wishes,
      Steve.

Comment

"Warning"?

Originally posted by protohistorian View Post
        I would imagine it was closed based on it's content. I should take that as a warning. Dave
        Hello Dave,

A warning? To me? For what reason? and more to the point, what are you implying? And further more "based on it's content" is rather strange if the thread founder himself doesn't even know about it being closed?

I have recieved no warning, nor reason for it's closure. So I have no reason to expect any "warning" from anyone.

best wishes

Phil
        Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

Hello Steven,

Thanks for the confirmation. Phew!

best wishes

Phil
          Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

Hi Phil,

I know nothing, but judging from all the emails I've received this morning it seems there's trouble in the JtR Romper Room.

Regards,

Simon
            Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Hello Simon,

All very strange, from my memory of when a thread is closed, an administrator normally writes a covering post to explain the reason for closure. And you weren't told either, it being your thread? Most odd.

best wishes

Phil
              Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

Hi Phil,

Yes, it would appear that courtesy has fallen victim to expedience, and just at the moment I was about to post something of interest to everybody.

But no matter. Perhaps some other time.

Regards,

Simon

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Carter View Post
                  Hello Dave,

A warning? To me? For what reason? and more to the point, what are you implying? And further more "based on it's content" is rather strange if the thread founder himself doesn't even know about it being closed?

I have recieved no warning, nor reason for it's closure. So I have no reason to expect any "warning" from anyone.

best wishes

Phil
                  No Phil, your behavior is very good. Some others however seem to have trouble controlling themselves and so the context of their misbehavior needs to be removed in lieu of their self control. I would not know the specifics on the thread, just when I peeked in some pretty charged rhetoric was flying. Dave

Comment

I would say that, in the case of trying to uncover documents, both real and imagined, and to speed up the process of moving this case further, instead of arguing and fighting for one another's views, we should band together and fight for facts as a single body, not as divided as ripperworld is.

I believe we should not accuse anyones ideas as being 'silly' nor accuse any ripperologists as unworthy. The progression of this case, whether it be unfavorable to some, is inevitable, and the fight to preserve, if it exists at all, the 'known facts' should not end, but shouldn't try to dely the progress of others.

I believe the truth behind our failure to bring this sad story to an end is the fact that without it, we would be lost. Perhaps we should put away out differences, our biased veiws, and all work for the future of ripperology.

It upsets me that we cannot put forth a future for this case and behave in a civil manor.

Just my views.
                    Washington Irving:

"To a homeless man, who has no spot on this wide world which he can truly call his own, there is a momentary feeling of something like independence and territorial consequence, when, after a weary day's travel, he kicks off his boots, thrusts his feet into slippers, and stretches himself before an inn fire. Let the world without go as it may; let kingdoms rise and fall, so long as he has the wherewithal to pay his bills, he is, for the time being, the very monarch of all he surveys. The arm chair in his throne; the poker his sceptre, and the little parlour of some twelve feet square, his undisputed empire. "

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

Hello Dave,

Ok.. I get the point, thank you for the kind words....but those who were "verbally jousting"... I read that thread through many times, and have seen much much worse. Often.

Also, to quote you..

Some others however seem to have trouble controlling themselves and so the context of their misbehavior needs to be removed in lieu of their self control.
                      I saw the exchange. Feisty, yes. Uncontrolled? Hardly..in my honest opinion.

So why close the thread completely without warning? (See below, reply to Corey)

I hope to blazes no other reactions have happened in consequence of this to the "jousters"... they are most needed on these boards and are highly respected people.

Just my honest opinion my friend.

Hello Corey,

I agree with you. Sadly, not the whole of Ripperology will ever see eye to eye. The point of Simon's thread though, was the uncovering of a document said to have been clearly identified and described by a very erstwhile and much respected historian, author, researcher and Ripperologist, and that news made all our eyes open. That document leads to questions pertaining to the Aberconway material, as it has been put forward as a "draft" of the MM. However, if the document seen by Robin Odell IS in the manner of how it was described in writing via email to Simon, then we have a very strong candidate for a "draft" version. That, in turn, asks questions of the Aberconway version. That is why I am stunned that the thread is closed!

That, I think, unless I have totally misunderstood Simon completely, was the point about all of this. I may be wrong. If so, perhaps Simon may care to correct me? Thank you.

best wishes to you both

Phil
                      Last edited by Phil Carter; 11-15-2010, 05:16 AM.
                      Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

Hello Phil,

Indeed. Apart from the points Dave have made, I still see no reason for why the thread was closed, for as you pointed out, there has been much worse on the boards.

I would say, that the fear of losing a lifes worth of work could, and I say this with caution, cause the closing of such a thread. What some fail to realize, that the progression of the case, in whatever direction it finds itself heading, doesn't call for the end of "Jack the Ripper" nor does it dictate that the theories are correct, and I am speaking of theories on both camps in ripperworld. This is the fear of the unknown.

Have a good evening all.
                        Washington Irving:

"To a homeless man, who has no spot on this wide world which he can truly call his own, there is a momentary feeling of something like independence and territorial consequence, when, after a weary day's travel, he kicks off his boots, thrusts his feet into slippers, and stretches himself before an inn fire. Let the world without go as it may; let kingdoms rise and fall, so long as he has the wherewithal to pay his bills, he is, for the time being, the very monarch of all he surveys. The arm chair in his throne; the poker his sceptre, and the little parlour of some twelve feet square, his undisputed empire. "

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

Administrators

Everyone who posts on this site does so thanks to the courtesy of those who run it. The administrators of this site have the final decision on the content of what is posted and who posts. We should appreciate their hard work and not crtiticise how they run the site. Believe me when I say that they are experienced and know what they are doing.

I have pointed out, before now, that some past posts (and I am specifying no one specific here) have bordered on the libellous and that cannot be tolerated - and might be legally actionable. It's all very well to criticise and speculate but the questions being raised here are arrived at without a full knowledge of the facts and are, in my opinion, misplaced. I would suggest that administrating is left to administrators - a thankless task that I should not like.
                          SPE

Treat me gently I'm a newbie.

Comment

I second that, very well said. Dave

Comment

Hi All,

Although the jungle drums had been beating steadily, until this morning [PST] I was as much in the dark about all this as everyone else.

Trevor Marriott has asked me to post the following which may help explain the the closure of the "Missing Memorandum" thread and his temporary banishment from Casebook.

His email read-

"I can perhaps offer an explantion as to why your thread has now been closed, and have attached a copy of an e-mail giving details of a banning order I yesterday received from Stephen Ryder. I have asked him to lift the ban. Should that not be done I will remove myself permanently from Casebook.

"I thought perhaps you and other Casebook members should be made aware of this.

"As I am not able to post anymore on Casebook and despite asking Stephen to post the banning notice on casebook, a request he has failed to accede to, I would be obliged if you could post the details making everyone aware of the content of his e-mail."

Hi Trevor -

"Your recent posts have been raising claims of libel - I have had to remove them. I've also suspended your account for one month to allow tempers to cool. It seems every post of yours lately is intended as a barb against one or another authors in the field. Please don't return with the same belligerence or the account will be suspended permanently.

"Thanks for understanding -

Stephen

END OF MESSAGES

Regards.

Simon

Comment

Working...
                              X