Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frank Froest by H.L.Adam

Hello all,

H.L.Adam wrote the following of the famous detective Frank Froest, in his book C.I.D. Behind the scenes at Scotland Yard:-

"...He was very quick, incisive, mentally alert, adroit, athletic, and an indefatigable worker. He contributed over thirty years of sound work to the "making" of the Metropolitan police force, particularly the C.I.D.He was a shortish man, but very muscular and strong. He had a terrific hand grip, as many a desparate criminal has found out to his cost. When he retired he was Executive Head of the C.I.D."

he continues..

"If ever there lived a Sherlock Holmes in the flesh he was Frank Froest. But he had no particular admiration of that fictional celebrity. He used to talk rather scornfully about him, in fact..."

Frank Froest himself says in reference to Sherlock Holmes...

"..I have to admit however, that detective stories do serve one useful purpose, and that is to demonstrate the importance of trifles. Nobody knows that fact better than a detective officer. Trifles have landed murderers on the scaffold, and will probably go on doing so. For the simple reason that criminals are such egotistical individuals that they never think of troubling about trifles, however vital they may be. For which bit of thoughtlessness we of Scotland Yard are much indebted to them."

Froest was a well-known detective, although we know relatively little about him with reference to the Whitechapel murders, from his early policing days.

Hope this is of some interest.

best wishes

Phil
    Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
    Accountability? ....

Originally posted by Phil Carter View Post
    Frank Froest himself says in reference to Sherlock Holmes...

"..I have to admit however, that detective stories do serve one useful purpose, and that is to demonstrate the importance of trifles. Nobody knows that fact better than a detective officer. Trifles have landed murderers on the scaffold, and will probably go on doing so. For the simple reason that criminals are such egotistical individuals that they never think of troubling about trifles, however vital they may be. For which bit of thoughtlessness we of Scotland Yard are much indebted to them."
    That's interesting, because he did write detective stories himself in retirement.

A couple of them are available online - The Grell Mystery (1913) at Project Gutenberg (http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/22173) and The Maelstrom (1916) at the Internet Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/maelstrom00unkngoog).

Comment

Hello Chris,

Thanks for the response, and the mention of his books.. Interesting indeed. I was thinking of posting the full quote but decided to keep just the only positive view about "detective stories". I believe he became a magistrate after retirement from the force, too. About a year before he died, sadly, Froest lost his sight and became blind.

best wishes

Phil
      Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
      Accountability? ....

Comment

Working...
      X