FIFA and corruption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FIFA and corruption

I read today that England's bid for the 2018 World Cup is imperiled because some newspapers exposed a "votes for cash" racket within FIFA. That Seep Bladder's FIFA is corrupt and a kleptarchy is news up there with water is wet. But that exposing the rot within FIFA by outside agencies imperils England's chances to host the Cup is a new low for an organization whose gatherings make the Chilean miners' refuge seem the penthouse in comparison.

It is time for the real football/soccer nations of the world to dump FIFA and start their own governing body.

Don.
    "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Don,

Of course you must know that Russia gets the 2018 and Qatar gets the 2022. It is virtually an impossibility that the votes were not bought. Russia is impoverished and has no infrastructure, while Qatar has no stadiums. I second your motion. It's time for the People's Cup.

Mike
    huh?

Comment

Mike,

Alas, it is even worse than just money. Interesting that Putin doesn't even bother to show up but does issue a statement deriding the British press for exposing FIFA corruption. Wink, wink, nudge, the implication is clear that there would be no worries about "embarrassing" news stories if Russia is in charge. After all the world press freedom index ranks Russia 140th (Qatar is a lusty 120th) whereas most of the other bidders are in the top 20.

Money does matter, though. FIFA asked England to waive its restrictions on how much currency can be brought into or out of the country while the Cup was being contested (by the way, England agreed). Do you suppose FIFA was worried about rich tourists from Burkino-Faso or the Andaman Islands or were they just protecting the interests of its own high heidyins?

Sad thing in my mind is that England or the USA even tried to play the game.

Don.
      "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Comment

Don,

On the other hand, I'm not so sure if I would be so eager to have the WC in the US. Logistics are nearly impossible unless it was all in the Northeast or the Southwest. I also don't like the element, as represented by our FIFA leaders, of corruption brought into my country. Heaven knows we have enough to deal with without that. I like to think that we don't need FIFA, but they need us. With Russia and South Africa, the tournament may contribute to growth. With Qatar, it's just a sick joke.

Mike
        huh?

Comment

Mike,

I'm not so sure if I would be so eager to have the WC in the US. Logistics are nearly impossible unless it was all in the Northeast or the Southwest.

Funny, but we somehow managed in 1994 and produced the greatest attendance ever for a World Cup.

Still, that the USA (or England) lost is doubtless proof that they were cleaner than Russia or Qatar . . . though one is hard put to think who isn't. Plus, the human rights record in either country is atrocious. Not that FIFA much cares about a dead journalist or "infidel" here or there.

At least England had a decent presentation team. USA had that famed footie fan Bill Clinton give a presentation on our behalf, the focus of which somehow kept straying back to his foundation. Then too, we had Morgan Freeman who was so committed he got the pages of his script scrambled and didn't immediately notice. When that happens to a speaker he didn't write "his" words and has no interest whatsoever in the subject.

Regardless, FIFA needs to be replaced.

Supe.

Comment

Australia really thought we were going to get it.People are furious.It's not easy to compete with people who's names start with Sheik

Comment

Belinda,

Aye that. And it was even more of a facer for you folks--just one vote. At least you're saved from the shared shame of those in Russia and Qatar. Though, I suspect many in those countries are beyond shame.

Anyway, good to hear from you. How have you been of late?

Don.

Comment

Working...
              X