Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gotham by Gaslight

Hi folks, first post here....

In 1989, DC Comics did a single story graphic novel, Gotham by Gaslight, centered around The Dark Knight Detective himself, but taking place in the late 1800's. Evidence surfaces that The Ripper has relocated to Gotham and Bruce Wayne is the prime suspect. Batman prowls the city to hunt for the true killer. If you are fan of Batman and Ripper-lore, this might be a fun excursion...but don't expect anything revelatory concerning suspect theory, as in this story, something in the Wayne Family past is the catalyst for Jack the Ripper's serial spree.

Great story and art. Drawn by Mike Mignola (creator of Hellboy). It was one of my favorites as a young teen. Look it up!

Mr. Candlebridge

Originally posted by Mr. Candlebridge View Post
    Hi folks, first post here....

In 1989, DC Comics did a single story graphic novel, Gotham by Gaslight, centered around The Dark Knight Detective himself, but taking place in the late 1800's. Evidence surfaces that The Ripper has relocated to Gotham and Bruce Wayne is the prime suspect. Batman prowls the city to hunt for the true killer. If you are fan of Batman and Ripper-lore, this might be a fun excursion...but don't expect anything revelatory concerning suspect theory, as in this story, something in the Wayne Family past is the catalyst for Jack the Ripper's serial spree.

Great story and art. Drawn by Mike Mignola (creator of Hellboy). It was one of my favorites as a young teen. Look it up!

Mr. Candlebridge
    I liked this - atmospheric and entertaining and honest fiction without real life Ripper suspects.
    Me?
    For the memory of my sweet, ambereyed and animal-loving mother (1932-2007). Be happy in Heaven.

Comment

Originally posted by Christine1932 View Post
      I liked this - atmospheric and entertaining and honest fiction without real life Ripper suspects.
      Well, apart from Gull and Prince Eddie being glimpsed on the ocean liner between Gotham and London.

There was, I seem to recall, a rather silly non-ripper sequel that did not work at all well, and featured a villain trying to bomb Gotham from an airship. Gotham by Gaslight was by far the better book, and one of the best of the early "elseworld" experiments that DC ran.
      There Will Be Trouble! http://www.amazon.co.uk/A-Little-Tro...s=T.+E.+Hodden

Comment

Originally posted by TomTomKent View Post
        Well, apart from Gull and Prince Eddie being glimpsed on the ocean liner between Gotham and London.

There was, I seem to recall, a rather silly non-ripper sequel that did not work at all well, and featured a villain trying to bomb Gotham from an airship. Gotham by Gaslight was by far the better book, and one of the best of the early "elseworld" experiments that DC ran.
        But they turned to be innocent - no Royal conspiracy etc this time!
        Me?
        For the memory of my sweet, ambereyed and animal-loving mother (1932-2007). Be happy in Heaven.

Comment

Originally posted by Christine1932 View Post
          But they turned to be innocent - no Royal conspiracy etc this time!
          Yeah, pedantic aren't I.
          There Will Be Trouble! http://www.amazon.co.uk/A-Little-Tro...s=T.+E.+Hodden

Comment

Master of the Future

The sequel to "Gaslight" is "Master of the Future". Same author, different artist. Of the two, this was my personal favorite. Both are worth reading.

Comment

Working...
            X