Anniversary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anniversary

I woke up today after having been dreaming about Jack the Ripper (NOT something I do often, I assure you). After a moment's puzzling over why this might be, I realized that it is the 122nd anniversary today of the murder of Annie Chapman, and two years ago I happened to choose this day to do a solo tour of all the Ripper sites, based not on the occasion but because no rain was forecast for that day of my vacation. It's strange what the subconscious can do.

Here's to the memory of Dark Annie and her terribly unfortunate life and death.

Hello Kensei,

Thank you for this. May she rest in peace.
    Washington Irving:

"To a homeless man, who has no spot on this wide world which he can truly call his own, there is a momentary feeling of something like independence and territorial consequence, when, after a weary day's travel, he kicks off his boots, thrusts his feet into slippers, and stretches himself before an inn fire. Let the world without go as it may; let kingdoms rise and fall, so long as he has the wherewithal to pay his bills, he is, for the time being, the very monarch of all he surveys. The arm chair in his throne; the poker his sceptre, and the little parlour of some twelve feet square, his undisputed empire. "

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

Ditto, R.I.P Annie.

Cheers,
      Adam.

Comment

May all victims rest in peace

Addy

Comment

Odd how this tart chooses the very same day to resurface:

-TTD

Comment

Annie Chapman’s burial place is the most neglected of the canonical five. It is the only one that isn’t marked and few seem to go to the relevant cemetery – on the anniversary or at any other time to try and locate it.
            Annie Chapman was buried at Manor Park Cemetery, twelve feet down in square 148.
            This cemetery is very near the City of London Cemetery where Polly Nichols and Catherine Eddowes are buried.
            From Manor Park Station (accessible from London via Liverpool Street Station) turn left down and then take the first left (Whitta Road). The back entrance to the cemetery is about 200 yards straight ahead.
            The full address is:
            Manor Park Cemetery and Crematorium, Sebert Road, Forest Gate, London E7 0NP.
            Annie Chapman’s grave has been buried over and its exact location lost. However it is known that it was in an area of the cemetery that is now called LG2.
            To find LG2 from the back entrance, take the second right hand roadway (ignore the first right hand path). Turn right at the major crossroads with a memorial in the centre. Walk to the end of this roadway to the sign that says Lawn Drive. This is where LG2 starts and it covers about five rows of graves.
            At one time a large framed tribute was placed at the grave, which read "Within this Area lie the Mutilated Remains of Annie Chapman, who was interred here in Grave No. 78 on the 14th of September in the year 1888”.
            This is it today...
            Attached Files

Comment

Thank you so much Lechmere, I hope that helps a lot of people who are interested in visiting all the vicims' graves. I myself only managed Polly, Kate, and Mary Jane. My strong impression when walking from to the City of London Cemetery from the nearest train station was that it felt so rural in that area that it was hard to believe one was still in London.

Comment

Wanstead Flats... rural? Blimey.
                The one you missed is at East London Cemetery (Elizabeth Stride) and is only a ten minute walk from Plaistow tube.
                To find the grave take the first left and follow path about 300 yards. It is on right hand verge set back about ten yards.
                It is all very urban.
                The other day I parked outside the entrance and someone asked to borrow my tyre wrench. I got it put the boot. They offered to give me a tenner to ensure they returned it. I said no I'd just wait in my car as I had to check some texts anyway, and it was Boxing Day (good will etc). Then I saw them speed off in my rear view mirror!
                I ain't lending a tyre wrench again for free (once I get a new one).
                Hold on - it could be used to bludgeon someone and it has my prints all over it! (But I have now established an alibi).

Comment

Originally posted by Lechmere View Post
                  Wanstead Flats... rural? Blimey.
                  Well, what I remember about my visit to where Polly and Kate lay is that when I got off the train the immediate surroundings were like a small village, and on the walk to the cemetery there were many trees, open fields, etc. If I'd just been teleported there unexpectedly I'd have been stunned to find that I was in London. But then again, it was my last stop on a day-long solo tour of nearly every Ripper site and my feet were hurting so bad it was hard to focus on anything but the pain.

Comment

I read somewhere that a grave marker had been put down for Annie Chapman at Manor Park Cemetery so I went back today and was directed to a totally different area where I found this.
                    I have a map with the location marked but I am reluctant to put it up as the marker can easily be removed – or stolen. The cemetery office told me where it was and gave me the map, so it must be ‘official’.
                    I wonder how long it’s been there, who put it there, and how they found out the correct location – presuming it is the correct location. It is adjacent to a lot of 1939 burials.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	annie chapman grave.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	663068

Comment

Working...
                    X