were Lodging houses mixed sex?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• were Lodging houses mixed sex?

Can anyone tell me how lodging houses were setup? i've read the article about Victoria home and its casual wards and compartmentalized floors for those who passed the test
    But were these wards mixed gender? men sleeping in beds next to women?
    how were the compartmentalized floors implemented? did they have a screen going around each bed like in hospital wards?

sorry if my typing is rushed i have only the use of one hand at this time. not easy and dam slow.

lodging houses

Hello Mr Twibbs. Of course, it depends on the lodging house. As you recall, the one where John Kelly was staying admitted couples and allowed double beds--well, at least that's how they referred to them.

Cheers.
    LC

Comment

There were separate entrances for males and females at the Providence Row refuge in Crispin St, so if they made them use separate doors I can't imagine they let them get too close to each other once inside.

Always the nagging fear was, they might breed.

Common lodging houses were a different matter. It was actually in their interests to have a swelling population.

Comment

And, of course, the Victoria Working Men's Home was men only...as the name might suggest
        best,

claire

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
          There were separate entrances for males and females at the Providence Row refuge in Crispin St, so if they made them use separate doors I can't imagine they let them get too close to each other once inside.

Always the nagging fear was, they might breed.

Common lodging houses were a different matter. It was actually in their interests to have a swelling population.
          thats quite an exciting possibility.Getting your end away in a lodging house and in front of loads of other people.
          j/k

Lodging houses are a thing of the past but they are very interesting the way they were setup and administered.

Comment

Working...
          X